1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone heard of a similar story

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Justasking100, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So. Just checking. My experience is didn't realise till age 21 I was gay. My teenage fantasises were all about women and having sex with them, but I never thought I was gay until then. Has anyone heard of someone in deep denial like this. When I did realise it kinda made sense. Though I was so depressed about it the doc said it was OCD (yeh I know you've heard this one before). But that was also a diagnosis by a consultant psych - after all I was always having relationships with women and refusing to entertain that I was gay, even though fantasising about guy post age 21 on the few occasions I let myself was pleasurable, and more pleasurable than when I thought about women. This is still generally the case. Though I can be aroused about women, it is a little 'meh'. Also interactions with women have often left me low and depressed.

Does this ring true to anyone you know or have seen on here. All I read is people who were consciously fantising about men in their teens, even though they denied it to themselves that they were even doing it.

Can anyone share a similar story or have had an EC user go through the same thing?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's entirely possible for people to have latent feelings towards the same sex; feelings that can hardly be perceived up until a certain point in time. Sometimes the awareness grows in a fairly organic way, other times it will be triggered by something, or someone.

Whilst some people enter into straight relationships and marriages to conform [to societal attitudes and standards], there are a good many who very genuinely believe themselves to be straight when the relationship/marriage begins, so latent are their same sex feelings. I don't necessarily regard this as denial. For me, denial comes when you push back against same sex feelings that you are only too aware of.

3. kasper1234

Dear justaskin,

I can relate to that. With 15 i had my first thought i might be gay but NOTbecause i found men attractive or had a crush on a guy. I just didnt had the amazing feelings for women that i imagined. Over the next 5 or so years i spent my time thinking and rethinking, hating myself. I didnt phantasize about men, just made huge efforts to constantly compare my arrousal levels for girls and boys (when i saw them on the streets or when i jerked off to test myself which sex i liked more).

Then i got on heavy meds and there was not much phantasies or feelings at all for the next years. But i had girlfriends during that time, also kind of denial maybe (whatever).

So no, not everyone phatasizes about men in there teens.

Cheers, kasper

4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is so true! Many people think denial means you aren't aware of the same-sex attractions, and since I was aware of my same-sex attractions, it was hard to reconcile the idea of denial so many years later. It is certainly possible, and very common, to know about your same-sex attractions but still be unwilling or unable to accept it. That's denial.

5. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Flip the genders and I feel very similar, Justasking.

6. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes I agree with you on the definition of denial. I've been in denial since aged 21

7. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi justasking, my moment of shit-I-might-be-gay hit me like a bomb exploding in my brain when I was 18. There were other signs earlier on, but with all the other stuff you have going on in your teenage years, I didn't give them a lot of importance. And then this one guy and this one moment and the reality of who I was exploded into my existence. But then I went into active denial and my life became hell. This was pre-Internet era and I had nowhere to go, but I probably wouldn't have gone looking for support even if I knew where to go. Because about 6 months later, I remember walking past the gay student group's info table on my first day at university and I just kept on walking. I was a sad and lonely and mixed up young adult back then and I caused myself so much pain and suffering. So all I can say is give yourself the freedom to explore who you are and accept the fluidity of sexual attraction - see it like an all-you-can-eat smorgasbord of opportunity and pick and choose and try whatever takes your fancy.