1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am alone and scared

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MAX10, Aug 18, 2016.

1. MAX10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not sure what I am. Straight, gay, bi. I live in a small southern US town. There is no support groups, programs, or resources. If anything, there is a huge hate for those who are strictly straight. I'm in my mid 40s and I am alone and scared. This is my life in basics lived outside the comforts of the similar box many live in.

2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. So sorry to hear that you feel you are so alone. How close are you to a larger city that may have an LGBT center? If you can find a way to visit and find some other members of the LGBT community, it could be helpful.

3. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Stay here and talk to us. We've been there. ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

4. joey69

I'm sorry your having such a hard time, definitely seek out some kind of support outside your town, or look on craigslist for a social group or friends (Not necessarily hookups). If you need someone to vent or talk to feel free to pm me any time :slight_smile:
    Good luck, you can do it.

5. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You've come to right place ! I agree with Nickw if you have the chance to go a LGBTQ center near by you should give it a try and in the meantime we're here if you want to talk. You are not alone.

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry you're struggling. Stick around here, everyone here is quite supportive. Big hugs you (*hug*)

7. TravelerMe

Well I certainly know the feelings of confusion and fear as do many of us here on EC.
    Take a deep breath and start reading and sharing here. It's a great way to find support until you can confide in someone personal or with a professional.

8. faustian1

My friend, when we're alone and scared, our first priority must be to find some shred of empowerment to get a start. You won't find Martians, unless you're on Mars.

I don't mean to trivialize the fact that you have a home, probably a job, and a life in Alabama. However, in your current place you are living in fear and isolation.

Perhaps the first order of business is to make a project out of relocating. Somewhere. You should research this.

Could you write a little more, about the obstacles you see too doing this? No doubt there are many, but it's never too late to make positive changes that can end this distress.

9. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are many in your position and there may be different ways ahead. From transforming yourself in-situ - where you live. Alternatively consider re-locating to a more urban environment where there is more LGBT support and social networks.

Your personal / family circumstances also need to be factored in, but I do not think it is too late, at 44, to do either. Neither is without its challenges and wrenching decisions.

Some confidential therapy, over a period of time, may help you reach a decision in which you can be more sure of your path forward from here?

10. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree with every post in this thread. Great advice everyone!

Max10: I know all about feeling alone, that there's no one you can talk to, and how lonely it feels. When I first started questioning my sexuality, forums like this didn't even exist. As you can see from my profile, I'm just a few years older than you. Please keep posting as you feel comfortable doing so, and we will be there for you.

11. OldDog1952

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hell when I first started questioning my sexuality the internet didn't exist.:icon_sad:

12. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm 47 so that's true for me too! Thinking about pre-Internet days makes me feel old. :slight_smile:

13. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I know that feeling of being alone all too well...I've gotten past it slightly, but I feel you when it comes to lack of resources and support. I also live in a small town. We don't have an LGBT center or many resources for the LGBTQ+ community, but things have slowly changed. The city is in the process of developing an LGBT center here, and this October will be the 2nd annual pride celebration. So things will change over time, but it seems to be changing slowly.

I agree with others on here who have said to try and find the nearest larger town or city that might have more resources for LGBT+ support. Perhaps trying online might help as well? You can stay and chat with us on here, but also try using websites such as MeetUp...there may be a group of lovely queer individuals who are looking to maintain a support system. Perhaps you can seek them that way? The Internet can be an amazing resource for connecting like-minded people together. I hope this helps, and I hope that, for the meantime, you've found some support here; you're safe here among peers :slight_smile:

Hang in there, things will get better! The world is changing little by little :thumbsup:

#13 Shoei Loei, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2016