1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inability to reflect is multi dimensional / multi level

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Aug 20, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems I'm on the verge of peeling back another layer of opaqueness, allowing more visibility. It's like I'm wondering in fog and see "something" but do not know what it is. I most certainly do not know where I am at in the fog.

Main part of post: Not only was I (am I) unable to reflect I was gay, once I accepted this, other things (another level reveled ) I could not reflect on came to light. The latest is, guys actually have sex.

My comment: I knew guys had sex but I was completely unable to reflect on this - comprehend this.

Disclaimer: I know I'm repeating myself in this post to some degree.

2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reflection is great, yet I found that my progress and results were accelerated by combining reflection with action and experience in a do-reflect-iterate cycle.

For example, wouldn't the best way to reflect on guys having sex be to have sex with guys?

#2 SiennaFire, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Initially, like SiennaFire, I took action and allowed little time for reflection. The actions allowed me to be vulnerable before I even realized how beneficial vulnerability is towards building confidence, self esteem and self acceptance. I essentially just charged ahead, took risks, overcame what I percieved were the odds, and progressed.

Thereafter, as my confidence, self esteem and self acceptance came into place, I was able to reflect and put the pieces together. Today, I am able to reflect and evaluate where I was comparing my history to how far I have since come. And I have made sense of what once was the "fog" as you put it as a result.

The key is making yourself vulnerable. This might be a confusing concept to comprehend, but I strongly suggest you do so. Take risks, push yourself forward, put yourself in situations you would not otherwise have done. I believe you can make progress and start to see through the "fog" by doing so.

#3 OnTheHighway, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Taking risks and making oneself vulnerable.....this is like climbing out on a tree limb.....high above the ground.......when's it going to snap?

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, not the comparison I would use! But when you go out on the limb and realize it does not snap, that's when you build confidence.