1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bending like a pretzel to keep what you don't want to lose

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CameOutSwinging, Aug 20, 2016.

1. CameOutSwinging

I guess in a way many of us have dealt with this. We stay in the closet out of fear that our partner will leave us if we become honest with them. We deny ourselves what we need because we don't want to lose what we have.

I don't know that I've always been this way. I think my first gf breaking up with me 4+ years ago sent me into a really desperate place. The rejection I felt from that situation, it brought forward every fear I ever had of being alone and losing somebody I thought I'd be with forever.

I tried to get her back. I begged. I cried. I vent over backwards to give her things I thought she'd want and maybe decide okay I want to be with him bc he did these things for me. I bought her tickets to see her favorite band of all time live, who she had never seen before, and spent my entire savings at the time to do it (a month or so after we were broken up). She took her mom and didn't even give me credit on FB for gifting the tickets. It didn't work.

I got into my next relationship way too quickly. And from the start faced her breaking up with me numerous times, after she found out about my sexuality. I knew the guy she wanted and so I changed things about myself to give her that. There's a song lyric by Taking Back Sunday that I always think of relating to this - "she says live up to your first impression, well my best side was your worst invention." I gave her what she needed so she would love me and not leave me. Because I thought that was all I was concerned with having, the love. At any cost.

And then there's my trigger. The young guy I met while engaged. The guy I fell for and hard. First guy I truly had feelings for. From the start I was afraid of losing his interest, so I bought him nice gifts and went borderline sugar daddy (maybe even full sugar daddy) on him just to keep him interested. Maybe he would have been anyway, but I didn't want to risk losing him. Then eventually it became straight cash. I essentially started paying him for sex, even though I've always told myself I was just helping him and he would have had sex with me even without the money. Which maybe was true, but I didn't give it a chance. Maybe he would have stopped after two months and I should have let him go instead of upping the ante and giving him something I knew he'd respond to. I feel like I created a situation that allowed me to feel very insecure and question everything. Same as with my fiancée. I was convinced she only wanted to be with me because of what I do for her - but I do all those things so she'll be with me. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. And it's a trend I need to break.

2. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If any relationship forces you to act differently than how you would act if you were not in the relationship (except cheating and that sort of thing), you will be twisting and turning like a pretzel forever. Sure, there may be some things you give up to be considerate. And, no, its not "my way or the highway." But you need to be happy with living the life you want, not the one someone else wants you to have. Not having that space forces you to pretend, which eventually builds resentment and ends with regret. And sure, you can buy someone things to make them happy or even make you happy. But again, feeling you have to buy things in exchange for love is not the good train you want to get on. You may have to enduree loneliness for a while. But trust me. I know. Keeping secrets now doesn't fix things later. They just make it worse. Be who you really are. Then the RIGHT person will be attracted to you. And it just may be who you are with right now. Or not. Know what I mean?

3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    COS

I've mentioned this before. You seem to be in a hurry for love. I wonder if some of this is that you cannot let the process work at a natural rate. You may be the "pretzeler" too. You find someone that might work and try to change them just as much. Slow down and find the right match.

4. Friesian

Maybe focus on what makes you a great partner in the relationship - what qualities do you have that someone else would be thankful and appreciative to have? If they can't show you respect and love for who you are, then walk away (or, let them walk away). They are the ones missing out, right? You have to gain this perspective. The fear of losing is what is defeating you. Overcome that, and you will regain the power in your relationships to be an equal partner, not someone who has to buy their love. Come to terms with your worth, then you can more easily walk away when someone disrespects it. You sound like you are a natural giver - which is awesome - but don't let anyone take that for granted.

5. afgirl

Do you even know how to be authentic anymore? It sounds like a dumb question, but if you try to be what you think somebody wants you to be, the end results is that you end up losing yourself in the process. My 2 cents...

6. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been approached by several guys such as yourself whom are in a relationship with a woman and then have feelings or urges to be with men but yet, they do not want to end their relationship with the woman and keep the feelings that have for men in the closet so to speak. Nine times out of ten, the wife always wound up being hurt by their actions. I remember when I was dating my girlfriend and during the last phase of our relationship is when the feelings I had for guys started to creep in. It just so happened that things occurred in our lives that naturally caused us to separate and eventually go our separate ways. However, several years later, I had came out of the closet and was well into my first relationship with a guy. All of a sudden, who appears out of nowhere...my ex girlfriend. She wanted us to give our relationship another try. I could have kept my boyfriend in the closet and resumed the relationship with her and it would have worked out well for all parties involved. However, I decided against that and made the decision to be honest with her. In other words, I came out to her and told her about my relationship. At first, yes, this was all a big surprise and a lot for her to accept at that time. Nonetheless, she contacted me and wanted to talk in person where she embraced me and told me that she was okay with everything but wanted to still be a part of my life as a close confidant. She even wanted to meet my boyfriend as well because she was very protective over me. All in all, for me ....I was happy that I was honest with her instead of having her as a part of my little situation. To this day, we still have a very good relationship and keep in contact with each other quite often.

I guess where I am going with this is that in such a situation, someone is bound to get hurt or the truth will soon reveal itself because if your are bending yourself like a pretzel as you have mentioned, sooner or later, something will fall amongst the cracks and then you will really have a situation on your hands. I wish you well and best of luck!!!! JS

7. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    COS,

I can relate to this. With my partner I've made an effort to be who I thought he'd want me to be, in order to remain in a relationship with him. For example, my clothing style has changed to fit in with him. I've never enjoyed shopping with him because I was worried he'd not like something I picked out. Silly really. Now we're in a position where I feel we're both living his life, living out and working towards his dreams. I just feel like I'm along for the ride. It's really hard to break out of the pattern though, because he's so used to me going along with him, being enthusiastic about the same things, etc.

8. CameOutSwinging

You're definitely right. I'm living pretty deeply in the regret of not just being myself for the last few years at least, and it's easily the lowest I've ever been.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2016 at 02:27 AM ----------

I am definitely somebody who rushes to find love now. Wasn't always the case but definitely where I exist since the end of my first relationship four plus years ago. I don't think I try to change the people I latch on to, but maybe they would agree with you. I'm honestly not sure. If I do that, it's definitely not consciously. The closest I can point to is hoping that my partner would have been okay with my sexuality and an open relationship after she already loved me and discovered I needed those things. But they simply disagree with her values.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2016 at 02:33 AM ----------

I know my self worth is pretty low. I wish I knew how to build it up but honestly I just have no clue.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2016 at 02:36 AM ----------

It's not a dumb question because the answer is truthfully no, I don't. I don't know what the authentic version of myself looks like anymore. I have no idea who I am or what I want. I feel completely lost. Mostly I wish I could get a redo on life.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2016 at 02:42 AM ----------

Thank you. I've hooked up with my share of guys who have wives and girlfriends too. I know far too much about that lifestyle. It probably should have bothered me, after all I was doing it with permission from my girlfriend (in my first relationship) and a lot of them were not. Maybe there was just something familiar about it, reminding me of being 19/20 and secretly hooking up with guys because I didn't want anyone to know my sexuality yet. There's one guy I think about a lot. If I had met him under different circumstances, I think we could have been together. He was the first hookup I had who I kept wanting to be friends with in addition, I guess just to get to know him better. It never happened. He was married and spent a lot of time saying that he had to stop doing hookups with guys. I'm still the be that caused us to lose contact, but still. Strangely I wonder if that could have gone somewhere.

---------- Post added 22nd Aug 2016 at 02:44 AM ----------

Yes, this is pretty much exactly how I felt with my partner. Like I was living her life. I even stopped seeing my friends as much so I could see her friends. I just wanted to be around her at all times and it didn't matter what I was sacrificing for that. We definitely got to a point where I started to become angry about feeling so lost in our relationship.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretzels are soft and malleable before they bake, then afterwords they often can get hard and brittle which crack easily.

Don't be a pretzel.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are certain quite problematic words in relationships that need to be discussed, the most important being: "having" and "losing".

Let's start with having: in a relationship, as opposed to some object, having, or implied possession is a rather loose and slippery term. Starting with the premise that you cannot possess anyone, how then is it possible to lose what you could never possess?

If a person started to be with you, it is because they wanted to be, not because of anything you did, but because of who you are; usually for things that they see in you which you may or may not be aware of. You become then a steward of your relationship, a custodian as it were in the maintenance of its beauty, not for the sake of possession, but for the sake of the relationship.

The Zen Buddhists explain that a great source of misery in life is attachment. The idea is that life is suffering because nothing is permanent, and therefore everything that you "have" will eventually be gone. It is very easy to fall into a trap of attachment in relationships. To say "she/he is mine" needs to be understood not as possession, but something that is created which is separate from both of you, the relationship to which both partners are committed.

Rather than possess, appreciate the event of your relationship, for however long it lasts. From appreciation comes gratitude for the way things are as they are. If you do this, you will feel no need to change, either yourself or your partner. If gratitude and appreciation are strong, fear (of loss) subsides, you are fully present in the present moment, with no thought about what can happen in the future, which is completely unknowable anyway.

11. afgirl

Well you can't redo anything but you can move forward from this point. Step away from all this clutter and figure yourself out. Once your comfortable in your own skin you can focus on being happy with someone else. Trust me, there are way worse things than being alone.