1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I don't fit even in the gay community

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Heval, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Heval

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know I don't have experience but I've dated a little bit with gay guys who are out or partially out. I also met a guy in a dating website but I've been feeling that I don't behave as they do, or talk as they do. I feel like there's a standard way of gay behavior that I don't do. Does this make any sense?

#1 Heval, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes it makes sense. I am struggling with accepting that I am gay and I feel the same way.

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are the behaviors, or things they say, specifically? Try to identify what the specific things are that you remember about these gay guys you went out with. You have some idea of the "standard way of behavior" that you don't feel represents who you are, so what is that?

Those exact same feelings are the ones I felt starting so long ago. I didn't identify with what I perceived "gay" to be. For me, specifically, it was the effeminate behavior, everything from mild limp-wrist type stuff to the worst examples of diva-type behavior and drag.

Once I was able to specifically identify the behaviors that I perceived to be "gay," I was able to realize that I had let the false image of "gay" become my only perception and therefore convince myself that I wasn't gay after all. Yay me! Now shut the closet door, it's cold out there.

There's no one way to be gay. If you are indeed gay, and you've self-identified as being gay, then the way for you to be gay is just by being you. If you meet men who you are attracted to, but their behavior turns you off, then I think you should try to adjust your perception of what "gay" means, or try finding men who don't fit the things that bother you.

4. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Be yourself and then you have a better chance of meeting people who are a match for you ...
    Learnt behaviour is not a good look I don't feel
    Be who you are and comfortable with that ...

5. faustian1

^^^I think this is correct.

Over the years, I learned there is no such thing as "gaydar." At least, anything reliable. This happened when I started being introduced to gay people, and realized they are uncategorizable. Social media finished the job.

Ironically, what got me started down the wrong path, decades ago, was listening to gay guys talk about "gaydar" and about how they just "knew." My first clue that they were full of it was when some of the same people would declare to my spouse that I was "incurably straight." Many of these people were nice, fun people to be around, but I always would laugh to myself about their false confidence.

in other words, I think the gay community wants to have a persona, but struggles to do so.

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Part of the reason I did not come out sooner as a bisexual is because I thought I would be perceived as having the desire to be "classically gay". I am almost the exact opposite of the stereotype. It was not about trying not to be "gay"...it was just who I was and I felt that identity could be lost.

Those fears linger. I am only partially out and one of the reasons I can't be fully out is this. I know that some gay guys like to be "classically gay" . I think because it can be accepted behavior within the culture. That's OK. But, each of us needs to be who we are.

I met a great guy on one of the hookup sites. At first he really laid on the "I'm gay" persona. As we have become friends that persona was not who he was...just a regular guy.

7. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're not the only person having these kinds of questions... One gay friend of mine insists on calling me "girl," or his "sister," or suggesting I go hang out with extraordinarily effeminate men. He says all that is part of "our culture." I've asked him more than once to knock it off: I'm a man. Period. To me, what makes me gay is that I find other men sexually attractive. I want to flirt with them, touch them, cuddle with them, and so forth. I don't want to relate to other men the same way that straight men do, but that does not mean I need to act like some gay stereotype. And that's all there is to it; (I'm about to say this for the first time ever) I'm proud to be a stereotypically masculine gay man.

8. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stereotypically masculine gay man. I love that, crazydog. That's me.

9. Heval

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! Every time I post something I'm glad to see that there are people that can understand what I'm going through! Thank you :slight_smile:
    In my life I've always tried to fit even when it is obvious that I'm a piece of another jigsaw puzzle. This has not being the exception. I dislike the way some people talk with double meaning and that everything is about sex. It is sort of funny the first two times but then when it is a constant it gets boring.
    I don't speak about sex so openly so when I talk with gay guys that are out and that's the way they talk all the time, I kinda feel intimidated because I can't do that.
    I felt the same as with my highschool and university classmates when they talked about girls. Is it a man thing? Is it the crazy society where I live?
    Like crazydog said "I don't want to relate to other men the same way that straight men do". I haven't met those other kind of men yet...
    I also feel weird when the other guy is over flirtatious. Sometimes I don't know how to handle that, I mean, thank you but I can't answer back haha...