1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today is the day

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by I'm gay, Aug 27, 2016.

1. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today is the day.

Today is the day I come out to my kids. Today is the day I change their lives forever. Today is the day they learn that they have a gay dad.

I've been trying really hard not rehearse specifically what I'm going to say to them. That's actually difficult to do - not rehearse. I want the conversation to be organic and not feel or sound like a prepared speech. I need to feel in the moment, feel present with them and able to respond to them at the moment and not be scripted.

I am in a much different place in my mind and in my heart since I first joined EC. Reading and posting and sharing with all of you over two months has helped me tremendously to prepare for today.

Over the last week I have come out at work to about a dozen people. Each coming out has helped me to build the confidence I needed to be able to be vulnerable in front of my children. I suspect that's one of my greatest challenges with them. I don't think I have ever been truly open, honest and emotionally vulnerable to them. For me as a parent, it seems that I have never been emotionally honest with my kids. I have never cried in front of them. I guess I never wanted them to see my flaws or allow them to think I'm anything but a strong and capable person.

One thing I have figured out in the last few weeks was in thinking about my feelings and emotions, and how when I stuffed my gay feelings down so many years ago, it wasn't just my gay feelings that got repressed. Unknowingly I also repressed other feelings along with them. I stuffed down passion and true joy. I stuffed down parts of love and vulnerability. I stuffed down pieces of my soul that I haven't been in touch with since I was a teenager.

Today I am reclaiming myself. Today I choose to be vulnerable. Today I choose to take the risk by revealing myself that the ones I love most in this world. My journey has been so very long and today I take another major step forward. Yes, today is the day.

2. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :newcolor: :newcolor: :thewave: :newcolor: :newcolor: :thewave: :newcolor: :newcolor: :thewave: :newcolor: :newcolor:

#2 Katchoo, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Iamgay

Good luck! From everything you have written and the help you have provided to others on this site I can tell you are a compassionate and understanding man. Children are so often reflections of their parents in so many ways. Your kids will be fine with this even if it takes a bit of early adjustment.

I know what you mean by being a changed person. Since coming out to my wife, I have become the guy she fell in love with. The closet was killing me a day at a time. Your kids will ultimately benefit so much from relating to the real you.

Best of luck.

4. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great, so proud of you and so happy this site has helped with this whole transition and change in your life. :eusa_clap(&&&):eusa_clap

5. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes!!!

6. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can do it. I'm wishing you strength!

7. TravelerMe

I hope things go well! Hugs!

8. CameOutSwinging

Hey, hope it went well! Definitely want to see an update!