1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find (hidden) job postings.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Really, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Really

Hi all,

As I've noticed a number of people saying they need to find work or want to change jobs but are at a bit of a loss finding anything, I thought I would write out my tips for job-finding for anyone who needs help in this area. (As promised in another thread.) This is quite long so buckle up.

N.B. I'm not an HR professional. I'm just a bit geeky and like problem solving and have had success in the past helping a handful of people get their new jobs. Depending on where you are in your career, you could always use a Head Hunter but I think these tips could work for almost anybody.

Side note for those just now trying to get work with little or no experience, you actually do have skills, strengths and weaknesses AND experience. It has just maybe come from something other than a full-time job. Have a listen to this podcast by Marcus Buckingham. He has a very helpful, different way of looking at this. It's been a while since I listened to this but I think you can apply what he says to anything you've done whether it was "real" work or not. Here's the link. Take Control of Your Career and Your Life with Marcus Buckingham Podcast by Marcus Buckingham - Free Podcast Download

Ok! So here's my method.

Let's say you want to work in a certain industry, in a certain city. Let's say, Travel in Istanbul.

So now you google: Travel jobs in Istanbul (I know, obvious, but wait...)

And it comes up with results (travel agents or pilot, maybe) but the postings aren't exactly what you're interested in or qualified for or whatever. Just not right. BUT, in some, maybe all of the postings they mention the company that is advertising that job. So now you can go to their website and check their jobs/career page to see what else they're advertising. See if something interests you.

Depending on your search criteria, many of the results will be IT jobs but that's fine because unless it's the tiniest of IT companies, they'll have a number of other departments/people doing other functions.

So, let's say you know you want to be a bookkeeper or work in accounting. You can really do that in any industry so you can try a few different ones to see if any of those types of companies are looking for bookkeepers. I feel that for jobs that can be done in any industry, it's nice to work in one that interests you. (I did IT at a bank but had no interest in finances so wasn't very excited about working there. I'd much rather have done IT in a creative environment like one of the arts.)

If you don't know what you want to do, or can do, I suggest you think seriously about entry level jobs in large companies. You just need to get your foot in the door. Once you're there, you do the best job you can, start impressing people and keep you're eye open for company sponsored training opportunities and then, one day, job openings higher up. (If you hate it, get some time and experience under your belt and then start looking again.)

Ok, that was more than just how to search for jobs to apply for but the rest might be helpful, too. Anyway, here's my suggestion for a covering letter. It's always good to include one because it shows you can string a sentence together AND are willing to put in more effort into presenting yourself in an impressive light. These are just small examples of what I'm talking about. If you can, write a few more sentences where applicable. (I decided not to write out a whole letter because you need to make sure your letter sounds like you.)

In my opinion, there are four components that need to be covered in every letter.
    1. Clearly identify which job you are applying for.

I'm writing to apply for the job of Transport Coordinator, level 6, Istanbul office as advertised at www.jobsareus.tk/exactURL-forthisjob.html.

2. How your skills match what they are looking for. Mention any tasks/duties or projects that you have participated in or coordinated or initiated that exhibit skills that lend themselves to the job in question. In any setting; school, work, volunteer, social (party planning?).

My time at Acme Inc provided me with the opportunity to devise and then implement their stacking cog system which is still in use today as well as having been rolled out to their remote offices. I was also responsible for scheduling maintenance on all system critical trucks.

3. A small paragraph to sell yourself separate from your experience/skills.

I have read good things about your company and I feel I would be a good fit. I am eager to contribute my current expertise and I would be excited to learn how to add more value should I be successful in my application. I am organized and detail oriented and strive always to complete my work successfully and in a timely manner.

4. End with a reminder for them to contact you. And a thank you. :wink:

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you to further discuss this opportunity. I can be reached at (999)999-9999 or [email protected].
    Sincerely, First Last.

I think that covers it but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. If you object to anything I've said here, please don't. As I stated above, I'm not a professional in this area, I'm just passing on what I've learnt from my years working for both large and small companies, domestic and international.

Lesbee likes this.
  2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for taking the time to write this, Really! :slight_smile: I will soon be moving to a new city and will be looking for a job there. This will come in handy when I do.