1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another big step today

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Goldensun, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Took a big step and spoke with my doctor about being bi/gay - I've only seem him a few times since moving here 12 months ago. But he's shown a lot of empathy towards me and the many issues beyond just my sexuality that I'm dealing with.
    Because I used anonymous sex experiences with guys to come out to myself, I should have been talking to doctors and nurses years ago. So another big step in taking responsibility for myself and who I am and how I behave.
    The doctor is the kind of male I wish my father had been when I was growing up - but I'm not sure if this made it easier or not to discuss it with him.
    Here I am in my mid-40's and I'm still looking for a father figure to take away a lifetime of loneliness, despair and depression. Or the terrified and lonely little boy inside me is searching for the father figure. And no, this is not why I'm gay - but my father's emotional absence in my life did make it a lot harder to understand who I was.

2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is wonderful that you talked to your doctor and are taking responsibility for yourself. That took a lot of courage and strength.

3. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on taking this important step. As a gay man, it's vital to be able to communicate honestly and openly with your health care provider, and for that provider to be knowledgable about the many issues specific to gay men.

4. HuskyLover

Congrats! I'm really happy for you, coming out is never easy (&&&)
    Now it'll be easier for you to talk about the important things that gay men need to be aware of with him.

#4 HuskyLover, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on seeing a doctor, Goldensun!:slight_smile: You health is very important, especially since you are a single parent. It sounds like you have a good doctor that you like and feel comfortable with. That's important!

Take care.