1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost my first friend over this

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Beth 43, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Beth 43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We had a two hour dinner - laughing and celebrating life just 11 days ago. She was going to move in with her boyfriend on the next day. First time ever living with someone. She was so excited. She said that after they were settled - I was to come over for the weekend. Been friends with her for years! Suddenly, I am unfriended from Snapchat. I am unfriended from Facebook. No reply or answer on the phone. I think I am blocked. I asked a mutual friend to ask her WHADDUP? She responded that her phone is screwed up, no problems. Just phone.

Why am I the only one blocked from Facebook and Snapchat. She posts and communicates with them. That has nothing to do with her phone. I think she told her boyfriend that I am a lesbian. I think that is what this is all about. She just doesn't have the guts to tell me. So very sad. I didn't do anything. Can't believe it.

2. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its her loss, move on and dont her give another thought, theres plenty of other people who are worth your time. Sounds like she was no friend.

3. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm am so sorry that you have to go through this. If she is so shallow as to block and unfriend you, then lie about it, she isn't worth your time and energy. I know that it is hard and that you've been friends for years, but everything must come to an end. She is no friend to you if she'd do that in a instant without explaining why.
    It'll get better! (*hug*)

4. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your suspicions are correct, it sounds like the boyfriend gave her an ultimatum: her or me. I'm not sure what this says about the boyfriend (Why is the prospect of his girlfriend having a lesbian bff so threatening?), but at the very least it shows he is a control freak. Perhaps understandably, since she is in the throes of first love, your friend chose him. I suspect that decision will come back to haunt her. Don't be surprised if after she dumps the boyfriend, she reappears in your life. The question is, what are you going to do about it?

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I picture three possibilities:

(1) Her phone is actually screwed up...unlikely, as you've pointed out, but possible. But if this *is* the case, then there's no actual problem.

(2) She or her boyfriend is actually screwed up, and having a major issue with your sexuality. If either of those are the case, then I'd say that as painful as it may be to face it, she is no real friend (regardless of how long you've known her). And I'd agree with those who say "move on".

(3) She (or her bf) is having some significant issues with this and needs time to process through it. My personal feeling in these cases is that yeah, I get that some people have issues with sexuality...so I'm willing to extend them some time for processing. If they come to acceptance, then things should resolve fairly naturally between/among you. If they ultimately can't accept...then I'm back to (2) above.

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I lost my best friend of 7 years for being gay.

Sorry if this has also happened to you. (*hug*)

Better to be without the spineless morons in the end though.

7. faustian1

Like the others here, I write to express my condolences and sadness for what's happened with your friend. This is a big, big pushbutton for me that was "programmed" long before Mr. Zuckerberg invented the "block" or "unfriend" options. Before then, people "unfriended" others for similar reasons, by just ignoring them.

It's especially dangerous and hurtful, when you have come to trust and like another person, and felt a bond with them. That it can end without notice and discussion is simply awful.

I suppose her boyfriend could have instigated this. And, if so, it may have only a little to do with your being lesbian. Women have been doing this with male partners for years. Many a friend I had "disappeared" once they became serious, or married, to a woman. There is a pattern of being essentially "required" to ditch all of your friends, if you are a straight male.

It shocks me that a woman would let a guy do the same thing. This seems to be due to the obvious tendency of women to retain more of their friends, for longer periods of time in western cultures.

For you, this leaves an empty space that could take awhile to fill. And I think it is made even worse by facebook and snapchat.

#7 faustian1, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  8. QuestionMark99

If you have lost a friend for being gay then it's no big loss. She wasn't your friend for real anyway. I still makes my head spin how someone could ditch a friend for something so trivial ... but I guess I would say that anyway since I'm also gay. However I would HAVE to know for certain if that's the reason she has cut ties. I wouldn't make a big deal but I'd confront her and ask her what's up. If she confirms your suspicions then just walk away. But you deserve answers. I'm sorry this has upset you so much and I really hope it's not what it seems.