1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've still got so much shame...why?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Sep 6, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday something happened (long, boring story) which brought to light the fact that I've still got so much shame left. This is going to sound a bit odd, but the more out i become, the more openly and fully I live as a gay woman, the more it comes to the surface just how much shame I have, and the deeper I see that it goes. I'm just surprised at the depth of it all, and it's continued presence in my life.

At this point, my life is still partially stuck in the straight performance of the past and partially taking root in my authentic gay path. I'm separating from my husband but we're still living together, none of my local longstanding friends know that. But I'm building a network in the LGBT community, I've been dating a woman for a couple of months now, and I'm more visible about being gay when I can be.

One thing that's become apparent at this stage is that I'm not actually comfortable with any facet of my life right now. Like my life looks like this - I'm gay; I'm married/separating with a man; I've got a girlfriend; I've been in the closet until 36; I'm a mom... So pick any one of these parts of who I am and I am ok with someone knowing that part of me. But then I start to add another facet of who I am in there and it starts to feel really threatening and uncomfortable. I start to feel like my life doesn't make sense, i'm being exposed, and everything starts to feel out of control.

The thing is, I'm not ashamed, on the surface, about any one of these things. I don't know why I have such enormous trouble showing the whole of me to others.

Today it's had me feeling something along the lines of - I'm tired of all of the bullshit. I need to start caring less about this and being more ok with being fully, openly me. But how to start to crack away at this shame?

Do you guys have any insight? Thoughts?

#1 baristajedi, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only just come out, so I'm still in the mode of freeing myself. I don't know how I will feel later on, so I don't really have any good advice or insight for you. I am interested in how this goes for you though because I feel like I'm right behind you going through much of the same things. I will be divorcing my wife soon, and right now we're still living together.

3. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi baristajedibaristajedi, i am way behind you in coming out and as you now from reading my posts I am not good at it :slight_smile:

Can you pinpoint what you exactly feel shameful about ? Or is it just a dull general feeling? Would it help to write it out on a pad and paper I feel shameful about this, this and this?

sometimes problems are like math we can't just do it our head :slight_smile:

4. AndyG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Speaking as an expert in the "self-shaming" business ;-) ... I've gone/am going through these feelings as a husband and father who is dating another man for the last few months. I labeled myself with shame, but more appropriately it's guilt. Shame means you ARE bad. Guilt means you have done something bad. Even guilt may or may not apply depending on the situation, but there is certainly no shame in what you have done. You can absolve yourself of guilt if need be. We can continue to be great moms and dads, we can have compassion and empathy for our spouses, and we can be open and honest with our new partners about what we are going through with our families- and just how important they are to us as we move forward.

What you are doing is extremely difficult, but don't make it impossible to deal with by calling it shame. You are not a bad person because of this.

It really helped me to talk to a professional who deals with shame. I was so bad I became crippled by the label.

Good luck with finding the answers to a healthy and happy life!

-A

5. WanderingMind

Hey Barista Jedi. The shame sucks, hey? For me, the only time it seems to show up at all is when I'm forcing myself into a closet I no longer want to be in. Part of me realizes feelings of shame are all about *other* people, when I'm making assumptions about how they'd react to me being queer. If I assume they would think that it's shameful, I react emotionally. The thing is, I know who I am. I've learned that I'm not made wrong. When I'm true to myself, I feel no shame. So, I'm doing my best to just be myself. You're in a tough spot, because your authentic self longs for a life that looks differently than it does right now. There's no shame in that, though. You're doing the very BEST you can.

#5 WanderingMind, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shame is a fundamental emption that runs deep Baristajedi. It takes a lot of work to recognizes it, understand it, and learn to live with it. I am not sure shame ever goes away 100%, but I am comfortable that you can learn to manage it to the point where it is significantly diminished.

Given where you are on your journey, still very much in the early stages, with so much you are managing in your life at the moment, do not be surprised that you are still working through significant parts of shame.

Have patience on this one. Take your time to continue to understand yourself better. As you progress, and build confidence and self esteem, you will have the strength to manage your shame.

Your in the middle of the storm a the moment. You are handling it AMAZINGLY well!!!! Its great your at the point of recognizing your shame. Thats a significant part of the battle. Over time, I am confident you will conquer it as best as anyone can!

#6 OnTheHighway, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  7. afgirl

BJ...well, I don't really live openly gay. And you know, I don't want to...I just want to live openly and fully. Again, the more I stalk over to the labels side, the more it seems to complicate things for me. I am contemplating moving to another city, but that would be a big promotion, maybe farfetched. Who knows? I always said I would stay here for my daughter, but she is truly angry and hostile about it all. So, if she's going to be angry and hostile, well, we can do that anywhere, right? Maybe the fear and stigma that grips her about her...gasp.....gay mother will go away.

But, I digress. You do not have to be an open book to everyone, nor do you have to prove your authenticity, not even to yourself. Live your life. If you happen to be gay, so be it. I think the great thing about people you already know is that they can see for the most part that you are still the same person. I know I shocked a lot of people, but then, I think they saw that aside from having a girlfriend, I was pretty much the same person.

Do not beat yourself up, do not have shame about who you are. I am also a single mom, divorced, and I'd never kissed a girl until I was 46 years old. Even my girlfriend seems amazed. I had to have buried a lot of stuff, suppressed, whatever. I am working to understand me, but I think it's an awesome thing to do. Learning about myself totally explains why I never quite could have that relationship that others I knew seemed to have.

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think what I see here is something I do as well, compartmentalization. different boxes, mom, wife, gay, lover(GF), etc. and it can get uncomfortable when we open more than one box at a time. but it gets easier the more you do it and maybe blend the contents of the boxes like introducing your GF to your daughter (when your ready of course) and the other thing I see is the programing that society does to us and we do to ourselves like hetro good, non hetro less than good (changing but we are a product of our pasts to some degree) marriage and parenthood main goals. etc. we need to de-program ourselves to be our real, authentic selves and it's an ongoing journey, it took us decades to get where we are and it wont change quickly. But, you're doing just fine hun (*hug*)

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2016 at 11:14 AM ----------

one other thing I'd like to add is the difference between guilt and shame. guilt is internal, like when we feel we have caused harm to someone, that's normal and a good thing as it aids our moral compass. Shame is external, it's kind of like guilt but it's imposed by others, like society, religion, family to force us to conform to their moral compass or set of rules etc.

personally I reject shame as much as I can, and work through any guilt I have and try to make amends, or at least peace with myself and my actions.

9. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi barista! That is awesome you are dating a woman - really happy for you!

Your post totally resonates with me. I think I managed to stay in a kind of semi-denial for years by compartmentalising my same sex attraction as something 'optional' that I could take or leave. However it's obviously an integral part of who I am, and is part of my identity as a whole. It's always there.

I feel like my life now is still quite compartmentalised (although I know this must happen to everyone to some degree?), some people know I'm Bi and some don't. Some family know, some friends and some at work but I suppose I might act differently depending on who I'm with. I'm also a mother which is another significant part of my identity now. I would also like to be able to show the whole me to others. I feel at least to some people, I feel in a way like I'm still pretending to be someone I'm not.

As for shame, I am continuously working on that. As OTH said I think it's an ongoing battle that maybe just diminishes rather than disappears. I am trying to either say or do something everyday that scares me. Even if it's just a little thing. I always feel good after I do it, it feels kind of empowering.

10. Sorrel

Oh my god baristajedi, just had to reply to this... Haven't been on EC in a long time and my jaw DROPPED (in a totally good and happy way) when I saw that you now identify fully and proudly as gay! I am SO HAPPY for you that you've found this authentic place and truth within yourself, I remember your frustration and confusion before. I see myself in you, because it took me so long to realize, too, how gay I am, and to accept it in all the numerous ways that it must be done.

Think of it as muscle memory. As a habit that you want to quit - such as smoking maybe or an unhealthy food? Your body will continue to crave the old way - it's what it knows. In this case, our "straight habit" have kept us safe. From judgment from others, from judgment from ourselves, from fear and pain: and so our straight life served a purpose.

Now we are in the place where we build good, strong, new, healthy habits. Decisions made with our hearts. Decisions made with courage. Yes, because courage is what we need. That's the difference from before. This is COURAGEOUS and we muster all our strength and focus to act from a place of truth and love. Just keep loving yourself for all that you are and all that you do. That's my best advice.

Again: so happy for you!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

#10 Sorrel, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  11. loepis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, I kinda understand. I think there are some people who keep many personas depends on who they are interacting with or based on different environments. Like how we present ourselves in workplace may be different from when we are at home.
    Each of these personas doesn't always match each other and sort of compartmented from each other. Sometimes, we have to become these two different personas at the same time and place. For example, to be Office Me or Home Me in a family outing sponsored by my company. We are 'forced' to break that compartment and reconcile them.
    Possibly, when one persona is greatly different from the other, it makes us start questioning who we really are. It can be more about our motivations in creating these different personas. I speak from my own experience.

Baristajedi, you are not alone (&&&)
    Coming to term with true self is probably a lifelong process. I always thought when I am older, I will figure most of things out.
    Well, here I am, older and still trying to figure most things out.

12. Leah7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Shame is the fruit of a tree called fear. Ask yourself "what am I afraid of". When we up root our fears and find inner peace, love springs forth, and shame withers away. Facing our fears is how we evolve as individuals.

13. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been getting slowly away from thinking like that myself. If I think it's something optional I don't have to act on, rather than part of who I am and my identity as a whole, how can I expect my family to not think like that when I finally tell them?

14. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have only recently stopped thinking like that. I have identified as Bi since I was 18 but thought of it as kind of optional and compartmentalised it for years. I thought I had accepted my sexuality but I really hadn't. I think it would be so much easier being 18 now.

Anyway, I'm queer and that is part of who I am and I want to fully embrace that identity :slight_smile:

15. QuestionMark99

I have a strange relationship with shame these days. On the inside, I have none. I'm just gay and that's it. Who even cares? Are there people stupid enough to think it's something I went out and chose to be? Or something I can just magically change? It's just the way it is and everyone should get over it!

But that's private and inside my own space....

When I think about other people knowing who I am for real, especially my family, I'm totally overwhelmed with shame. It's crippling to a point where I have doubts I'll ever tell my nearest family members. I just do not want them to know as I think the second they do, if the reaction is not what I absolutely NEED, I will self-destruct and take on every negative emotion available. If I'm treated badly, I'll treat myself badly. If I'm treated as if I should be ashamed, I'll be more ashamed than you can imagine.

Many people say that coming out is hard and that it will take some months or even years for people to adjust; you just "gotta hang in there"... I do not think I have that ability and wonder if I could even survive it.

#15 QuestionMark99, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  16. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps it would be helpful to stop compartmentalizing yourself and think of yourself as a gay/lesbian mom (who came out later in life)?

As for the shame, I had some residual shame until I reached a tipping point where I saw myself as a gay dad and became increasingly comfortable with the idea that I was no longer part of the heteronormative lifestyle. A good amount of the internalized homophobia and shame comes from the heteronormative mindset, by disassociating yourself from it you free yourself from many of its judgments.

I achieved this by adding LGBT activities to my social calendar until I hit critical mass and went :bulb:

I believe this thread might be helpful and worth reviewing - http://emptyclosets.com/forum/lgbt-later-life/208943-buidling-life-gay-dad.html

#16 SiennaFire, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  17. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Sienna. That's helpful to me as a newly out gay dad.

18. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been reading each response on here carefully since I posted the thread and have been intending to come back and respond to each response when I could do it properly. So now I'm back :slight_smile:

Imgay, lots of strength to you as you go through these huge life changes as well.

Findingjoy, the part that leads to shine is a combination of all of the elements in my life. It's similar to when I was in the closet - I'd become whatever image I needed to be for others to accept me. In this case I am being honest about one area that I know I feel safe showing to a given person, but I'm hesitant to bring out any other side of myself.

AndyG, I do think there's some guilt mixed in to these feelings. I know on some level I feel guilt for moving forward with my life and being happier, because it impacts my stbx husband and daughter. I know this thinking is not correct, I know I'm making the right choice, but it's really hard to rid myself of that guilty feeling.

---------- Post added 11th Sep 2016 at 12:44 AM ----------

Wanderingmind, you are right, I feel like a lot of my inner journey is on hold while I wait for my life to catch up with what I need and want to live as a gay woman. I'm still stuck for at least a bit longer in a straight life and I'm wanting so much to break out of it.

OTH, your post is so encouraging. I feel better understanding this is normal to keep uncovering more shame. Sometimes I don't feel that I'm handling things well, it's encouraging to see you say otherwise as well.

I am really feeling impatient for my life to get to the point where I am living fully as myself, where I'm no longer having to hold onto strands of the past. And this shame is definitely something I want to leave in the past. But I suppose I have to accept that I will keep coming across this in my journey, even when I'm much further along.

Afgirl, this is such a balancing act, the idea of remaining private while also being authentic and true to me. I think that most of my lack of openness is still operating from a fear in sharing the true me, and I don't want to make decisions based in this kind of fear.

I'm trying to challenge myself bit by bit, by using the phrase 'M's dad' in conversation, rather than 'my husband', by wearing my pride bracelets, by opening up to my family about the separation. But it's not something that flows naturally yet, and I'm trying to get to that point where I can represent myself with greater ease and comfort.

---------- Post added 11th Sep 2016 at 12:56 AM ----------

Lookingforme, this is a really helpful idea, to find some areas bit by bit where I can start to decompartmentalise my life. So far there are lots of limitations on that, but I think j need to look for areas where I can do this, because I think it will start to bring me more peace.

Dirtyshirt, I agree with you, this compartmentalising does feel very much like I'm still trying to maintain some kind of image, and not really being me. And it's quite exhausting. I'm also trying like you are to so little things that scare me everyday. It's w slow process and as of yet, much of these steps are small, but they mean a lot to me.

Sorrel, it's great to see you on here again. And it makes me feel really encouraged to think that I'm making noticeable progress, some of which I may have sort of lost sight of through the everyday stuff. I really like the way you talk about it as having to sort of retrain a muscle memory. That's a really good description of what much of this feels like. In talking about my life, I find myself saying words that don't dit anymore, like my husband, and I have to actively work on saying "my ex" or "M's dad".

I think that your perspective will help me kind of retrain myself to represent myself in a more authentic way.

19. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Loepis, I'm definitely starting to feel exhausted by my different personas. I do want to keep certain parts of my life private in some contexts, but I'm really longing to get rid of this shameful and fearful way of representing myself. I need to rid myself if that to move forward. It's true that were always learning :slight_smile: I'm ok with that, but I think I'm ready for a huge leap right now in terms of my growth. It's starting to feel exhausting and frustrating and I need to move forward in some big ways.

Leah, this really helpful. I think this is something I need to think about in more depth, what am I afraid of? Where is this fear coming from? I dong know the answers right now. I have to consider this carefully. I think it will help me s lot in better understanding this problem.

20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    QuestionMark, this is definitely true for me, that I feel in my inner self that I'm comfortable with all of these areas in my life, but when I confront them in reality and other people are brought into the mix, I realise I have all of these fears and shame.

Siennafire, thank you for this. This is a really helpful perspective. I'm definitely going to read the thread you suggest here. I think that this kind of shift in how I view myself, thinking of it all as one whole me, versus these parts of me, will help a lot.