1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel SO HAPPY that I have finally accepted to myself that I am gay.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by findingjoy, Sep 6, 2016.

1. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I have started a lot of threads here :slight_smile: (I am gay, I am not gay, I don't know, it's a roller coaster, on and on) but I just wanted to post a separate thread for anyone new and starting out. I still have a long way to go, but what everyone says here is right, just accept it to yourself- you don't have to do anything right away but just accept your sexuality.

I fought a long time with myself since coming here, and I know its not going to be easy, but really if I had just been honest with myself I would accepted it a lot sooner.

Yes, there are years of denial but it's not really that hard to figure out - the first day I posted here and said I was gay I felt an incredible rush of joy and happiness and peace.

I got scared of those feelings and tried to excuse them away (oh its just a fantasy, i only like guys body parts in a sexual way but that's just a fantasy)

But when I finally accepted to myself that I want to be intimate with a man both sexually and emotionally I absolutely realized that I was gay.

But it gets better.

I finally realized why I feel lonely and depressed and unhappy often. It's because I never had the motivation to date women because deep down I knew I couldn't get close in any way. I did have a girl friend here and there but it fizzled out because I was indifferent.

What really made accept and be happy about being gay is that I now have to the desire to seek closeness and intimacy with someone. Will it happen? There is no guarantee of that -but if I keep denying it then its sure not to happen.

For the first time in my life, since I can't remember when, I realize I have a chance to be happy and I know how.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I absolutely love reading threads like this! Your an inspiration for everyone!

3. Doughmaster

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your an inspiration to us all, thankyou!

4. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on this important milestone and thank you for sharing your thought process for people who are new and starting out.

5. hexamum

I am so glad you have found peace with yourself.
    Time to get out there and be yourself :slight_smile:
    *smile*

6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, findingjoy. Happy for you! :slight_smile:

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Way to go, findingjoy!:thumbsup: There are always special challenges in life for LGBTQ people, but understanding and accepting who you are is a HUGE step forward towards living a happy life. It's far easier to deal with external challenges if you know and accept yourself internally. Be the best you that you can be!:slight_smile:

8. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone!

I tried to except myself before but now it's sunk in. I am still dealing with all the issues of coming out but I am no longer questioning. Once you accept yourself all the things you struggled with - the 'questions' become easy to answer. I am not saying dealing with the answer is always easy but once I fully accepted that I am gay it became so much easier to answer questions I wrestled with every day: "she' so beautiful, why dont' i feel any attraction".

But what I was really surprised about is once i fully accepted being gay I felt an incredible change from being withdrawn to wanting to get out and socialize. I was never motivated to date women; now it seems obvious why but before i thought it was just because I was depressed.

9. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're just awesome!

I would do something really special for yourself as a "thank you". Spoil yourself somehow.

You've had the courage to be with the unease, the uncertainty, the doubt, the fear - and now your reward is authenticity. I'm convinced that happiness can only come from authenticity. Please (I'm being preachy I know - sorry) just celebrate what you've achieved. It truly is life-affirming and something you've got every right to be proud of.

10. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Patrick. Now is the scary part, moving into the real world. Scared that reality might not live up to my fantasy.
    I guess its a good thing that that's holding me back instead of 'i don't want to be gay' thoughts. .. but its hard to come off this pink cloud.

11. 333RosyLily

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for posting this. I can tell that a lot of us appreciate it! I bounce between thinking I've accepted myself, and not being sure that I have, so I know I'm on a long road. What resonated with me was mentioning how you'd been lonely and depressed so much, and that's been my case, too. I'm glad to see a success story and to know that it does get better.

Thank you! And best of luck in finding love.

12. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i definitely still bounce a little but the denial is fighting a losing battle - because I feel so happy when I fully accept myself. I realize the denial is more just worrying about trying to figure out how to make it work in the real world.

Once I accepted I am gay it allowed me to realize so much more I am starting to accept that not only that I am gay but I want to be gay. its not something I "have" to live with, its how I can find happiness and intimacy in the world....

13. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks!
    and one other note :icon_bigg Coming here and reading other posts and other coming out stories made me realize I am not just a interested in sex, but love. And that became a little harder to accept. I thought when people said 'I am born gay" they meant they just wanted to have sex with their own gender, when I read stories here and started to realize the intimacy that has been missing from my life. Even just imagining it is so much more intimate than anything I experienced when i was living in denial.