1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating, meeting other gay men. Where do I start?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by findingjoy, Sep 6, 2016.

1. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear a lot of people mention 'meetups' 'the apps' but anyone, especially in the NYC area have some more specific advice?
    What apps?
    What Meetups?
    are there any events besides pride?
    are there decent gay bars for older guys?

I am not looking for just sex.

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Findingjoy,wow what a big step, I'm really happy to see you wanting to put yourself out there to meet people and start dating! That's awesome.

We aren't really supposed to name specific apps or sites on EC, unfortunately. But I say just try a few apps and aim for the ones that allow to add more detail about yourself and your interests in a partner. Some people even look for friends on apps, and I think you'd get the best results if you look for all the types of relationships you want, hookups if you want hookups, a relationship, friends, etc.

In terms of meetups, Google meetups and LGBT or gay or something like that and you should likely find things near you.

Also, your local LGBT centre, I'd suggest checking into whether they have any social or support groups on offer as well.

Keep us updated :slight_smile: you're doing great, findingjoy!

#2 baristajedi, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  3. CameOutSwinging

Hey! I was going to private message you findingjoy, but alas you're not a full member yet!

Anyway...

So, I've been exploring the dating world and the trying to get to know people/make friends in the community world for a few months now. One thing I've found is actual dating sites usually wield guys who are looking for actual dates and getting to know people. The hook-up apps (you know their names) are all really geared just towards sex, so if that's not what you want at all, I say avoid those at all costs. I've had moments of being on them and finding it really unsatisfying. Whereas I've met quite a few guys through the dating site and gone on some good dates.

Meetup seems to have tons of groups for gay guys in NYC. I've been thinking about joining/attending one myself but I'm a bit shy to go alone, honestly. Still, I have always preferred meeting people the organic way versus on some dating site, so I'm strong considering it. There's literally dozens of potential Meetup groups that might interest you. Check them out!

Also, earlier this year I attended a Men's Coming Out group through Identity House. If you Google Identity House, you can find their site and info/email about joining a group. It is literally all guys, of different ages and backgrounds, who are working on coming out or dealing with the aftermath of coming out. I found the group to be really rewarding, though I don't know that I was 100% ready for it. I'm considering trying another the closer I get to things being all out there.

Hope that helps a little!