1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to talk about my dad...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CameOutSwinging, Sep 7, 2016.

1. CameOutSwinging

On the surface, this might sound like it has nothing to do with accepting my sexuality. And I'll leave aside all of the questions I still have regarding that. My relationship with my father seems to be a starting out point for a lot of the deep seeded issues that have come to the surface for me in the past year-plus.

I've talked about some of it on here, how my dad was an alcoholic and would regularly go out drinking, leaving me home alone with my younger brother when I was in my teenage years. I would lie for him to my Mom (who avoided being home to ever deal with him) and my Aunts, saying that he was home while he was out drinking. And I'd deal with his behavior when he returned home, which was mostly verbally abusing towards me and twice became physical. The last time I saw my dad was when I was 17 years old, a week before graduating high school, when he was drunk and I ended up in a physical fight with him, ending with my brother and I leaving the apartment and running to family close by. I told my mom that we weren't coming back until he was gone. This was for my brother's sake, as I was a few months away from going off to college and I could not reasonably leave my brother with this man alone.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he assumed that I hate my dad. Brought it up in a way that was meant for me to agree. Instead, it left me a pretty big mess. Because the truth is I don't hate my dad at all. In fact, I still wish I had a relationship with him. Growing up, I idolized my dad. I don't really know why, he was clearly quite a loser. But I looked up to him. I tried to do things so he'd be proud of me, like join baseball, and (cliche alert) he never came to a single one of my games. I would talk about how he could beat up anybody to my friends and really brag, which is just stupid thinking about it now.

I lied for him and took on being responsible for him, in a sense, just so I wouldn't lose him. Heck, I only finally did something for my brother's sake, not my own. And the ironic thing is he's actually reached out to my brother - about two years ago now. Didn't reach out to me. He could have gotten my number the same way he got my brother's, but he clearly still has no interest.

I get that his alcoholism is his problem, but I still feel pretty awful when I think that this person who meant the world to me literally chose a relationship with beer over a relationship with me. I don't seek out a relationship with him now because after all this I should not be the one who goes to him. He should come to me. And clearly he has no interest in that. And maybe it's for the best, since he used to say things about me being gay when I was a teenager. Like, I don't think he knew I was, I think he was just afraid that I could be and so in his drunken state would say things like "let me find out you're gay..." as a clear threat of some sort.

I don't seek out a relationship with him because he doesn't deserve a relationship with me. But that doesn't mean that I don't deserve the relationship.

And it's hard. I'm somebody who is awful at letting go, and yet in a lot of ways I let go of my dad 15 years ago. I don't think we'll ever have a relationship, and that's just the way it is. But the thing is, I still wish I had that relationship. I joke around sometimes and say that if I ran into him now, I could beat him up because I've been boxing for over three years now. In reality, I kind of hope he'd just be proud of me that I'm boxing and that it's such a manly thing to do and a real tough sport to be part of. I hope that he'd be proud of the woman I was going to marry, and the job that I have and excel at.

Yet I know even if he were in my life, he wouldn't care. Not about the boxing or the relationship I had or even my job. He never cared about anything I did, why would he now?

And I know that this spills over into every aspect of building relationships for me. It is why I seek positive reinforcement so much about everything, and why I hold on so long to people and relationships that I should probably let go of. Part of me thinks his idle, empty threats about being gay are still part of the reason I'm still repressed in a way. It's weird, I don't feel like I'm not accepting my sexuality, maybe it is still just questioning, but every time I try to just go with "gay" I find myself going "but maybe..." So I don't know.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some thoughts on my dad. Stuff I'm not even sure I realized before.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I imagine being able to open up about all that, recognize it, and begin to understand how your relationship with your father has played such an important part of why it's taken you so long to accept yourself, must feel both like a massive weight off your shoulders and a "gotcha" moment that brings so much clarity to your life.

You have reach a massive milestone on your journey.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey COS,

This is such an important issue, if there is one underlying social problem in western industrialized nations, it is the issue of absent fathers. I suspect it is the principal reason that boys are not doing as well as girls on a whole host of markers with regard to health, ethical behaviour and education. It is the reason that areas where poverty and single motherhood are common are prone to have problems with gangs: young men who band together because they crave and need some form of male presence, even if it is with others who are similarly deprived of the guidance and love that only a fully-grown man can provide.

Before the Industrial Revolution, fathers and sons worked together on the farms, sometimes murderously close, but the sons could learn something about the world, the sons knew what their fathers did during the day. This is no longer the case, fathers are gone all day and come back tired, unable to share or even pass on what it is they do, unable to grieve this deeply felt alienation from their own children.

Sons seem to need some kind of initiation into the world, and fathers seem to be necessary for that to happen. Ancient initiation ceremonies were designed in a way to "kill" the child in their sons, with the full cooperation of their mothers, prior to letting them grow into men. This required an active and constant presence, and being a role model to follow. This no longer happens to any significant degree and we are left with what the poet and writer on men's issues, Robert Bly, has called a "Sibling Society" where no one is particularly grown up or mature. Couple that with an infantilizing environment where every indulgence is satisfied immediately, and it is no surprise that there is a deep wound in our psyches that never seems to heal.

So children grow up on their own, left to their own devices, needing to deal with life's difficulties on their own. Instead of support, the father either becomes a threat, or becomes irrelevant. We fear how out-of-control things can get, we fear the sense of abandonment that comes from the original sin of absent fathers, we fear trusting others and trusting ourselves, so we hang on for dear life to whatever shred of connection we are able to muster, even if it is to our own detriment.

From an early divorce, I grew up without a father, he moved away and I rarely heard from him. My mother married again, and I ended up with a very cruel and abusive stepfather. Naturally, what you wrote above strikes a deep chord within me.

You are right to stay away from your father, he has forfeited any right to expect anything from you. This requires you to understand the wound that he has inflicted on you, and to grieve for it. The ancient initiation ceremonies almost always involved some kind of symbolic wound inflicted on the initiates, this could include circumcision, or breaking a tooth, or scarification, among other permanent "markers". This would be unthinkable now and I am certainly not advocating any of these practices, but we are no less wounded by our fathers, in far deeper ways, but unfortunately these wounds are also barren of the symbolism and significance of entering into manhood. At least, the permanent initiation-wounds meant something important. I suspect that the current fashion of tattoos and piercings among our boys and girls is an attempt at recreating this effect.

May I suggest you get a copy of Robert Bly's Iron John, you may learn something about the need for a "wild man" to help a boy become a fully grown human being. You will discover words and concepts related to "katabasis", and ashes, and the need to go down into our wounds to re-emerge as someone who understands what it means to transform oneself into a fully grown and confident man who contributes to bringing order into the world for himself and others.

#3 greatwhale, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a wonderful thread, thank you for sharing. I am lucky in that I had a wonderful father who was loving and was married to my mom for 50 years before he died of cancer two years ago.

I'm only sorry that he never knew the real me. I know he would have accepted me. I always had a good relationship, but I know that we could have been so much closer as father and son. I think I always kept a distance from him after my puberty years. I'm guessing it was because I was ashamed of myself for being gay and would rather have died than him knowing it.

I did a lot of "manly" things so that he would be proud of me. Playing football and baseball, wrestling in high school. I secretly hated those things, but I thought I needed to do them to win his approval. And, of course, live the life I thought I was supposed to live - get married, have kids, buy a house, etc.

His death, ironically, was the impetus I needed to re-evaluate my own life and wake up to the fact that I'm gay. I'm now embarking upon a new life for myself. When my brother got divorced from his first wife, my dad was super supportive of him. He told my brother that he only had one life to live, and he needed to do what it took to be happy. My brother related that to me last week after I came out to my brother. That's why, even though it might have been difficult for him, I believe he would have been accepting of me trying to find my own happy place.

I am going to use this as a learning experience for being the best dad I can be to my own kids.

5. faustian1

You have described very well how alcoholism fucks up the lives of everyone around the alcoholic. As you indicated, in some ways it turned you into your dad's caretaker, instead of him being yours.

Alcoholics sometimes quit drinking. If so, then it's a long road to restore trust with the people they have hurt. That trust is never fully restored to the way it would have been, without the crazymaking and the bs.

Realizing that there are many levels of forgiveness, you should consider finding a way to forgive him---but not until you can forgive yourself. This last part is extremely important. And "forgive him" may mean nothing more than fully accepting that he was a flawed individual. It can often be easier to forgive someone for such fuck ups, once youv'e been around long enough to have made some of your own mistakes. Forgiveness does not necessarily mean welcoming him into your life (which in a way you still do even though he has died) or continuing the past. In fact, it usually does not. This is a process of lowering your expectations of him, to match the reality he offered. He fell far short of your expectations, so the fault for this needs to be placed on his shoulders, not on yours where it is now.

You have written yourself that you did many, many things against your own preferences to try and impress him and get affirmation from him. There is a present tense feel to some of these things you wrote. It is difficult, but your first goal is to affirm yourself, to rely less on pleasing others, to the exclusion of your own needs. This is very basic, very hard, and isn't confined to just sexual orientation or any other single area. Think big picture, when you think of this.

6. CameOutSwinging

Yeah, this feels like new ground, thoughts that I haven't really let myself process. I actually took this whole post (what I wrote) and sent it to my therapist. He was really happy to see it and said we should talk at our next session (tomorrow) about how it affects the relationships in my life today.

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2016 at 01:25 PM ----------

Thank you! That's all really interesting. I've had piercings (eyebrow and earring, both of which I've removed for the sake of boxing and laziness of taking them out/putting them in daily, haha) and I've been considering getting a few tattoos, admittedly partly because my roommates are super into them and it feels a bit like grounds to bond on. Plus there are two tattoos I would genuinely love to have.

It's crazy how much I can relate to everything you were spelling out though. So many of my fears and insecurities right there. I guess recognizing them is the first step.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Found this rather relevant quote from one of my favourite thinkers:

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote a similar post at one point. I recall I copied it and sent it to quite a few people! I think, if like me (my mother also had addiction issues), you will find a lot of things start to fall into place. This is the beginning of a new chapter for you.

#8 OnTheHighway, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016