1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weed

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by I'm gay, Sep 12, 2016.

1. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, a comment in a thread earlier today made me wonder about self-medicating.

I smoke weed. I've been smoking it on and off (mostly on) since I was 17. I smoke weed pretty much daily, though I'm more of a midnight toker. I've never smoked around my kids. I also don't smoke very much at a time - meaning I don't get totally stoned. I like the relaxation it gives me. It's also been pretty helpful when I started coming out as it did help with anxiety.

I hadn't considered that perhaps I've been self-medicating. I'm aware that alcoholism is very common in the LGBT community, and that makes sense. I actually don't drink alcohol. I'm not against it, I just never really liked the taste of it (I hate beer), and so I might drink a cocktail maybe once every few months or so, but I truly haven't been drunk in more years than I can remember. Weed, though, has been my drug of choice.

There are plenty of people who drink or smoke pot but are able to do so responsibly and not have it interfere with their lives. I've never felt like it has interfered in mine.

Am I just finding a way to justify it though? How common is weed in the closeted community - does anyone know?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't sound like It's actually a problem to me. Maybe if you were constantly stoned and hurting/abandoning your kids to get more drugs, it would be, but I don't see how this is any different than being a social drinker.

Weed is a lot safer than alcohol as well. No recorded deaths or acts of violence. Just be careful it doesn't become a dependency.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is near certain you're self medicating.

Now the question is, whether or not it's a problem. Personally, I wouldn't, for a whole laundry list of reasons. But that's me. Your questions to ask yourself is, is it impacting you in meaningful ways, affecting your life, and/or causing problems.

There are lots of "functional alcoholics" who are definitely abusing alcohol but nonetheless remain functional. Likely the same is true here.

The only thing to be cautious of is that, like all other drugs that stimulate the dopamine reward pathway, generally you develop tolerance and dose/potency has to increase to compensate for the tolerance. That's where it tends to be problematic.

One other thing: People who don't have a problem with excess use *never, ever* ask if they do. The fact you're concerned could indicate there's more going on than you're saying here.

4. killswitch0029

I guess it could be considered self-medicating since you mention doing it to help out with your anxiety, but it doesn't really come off as a major issue based off what I've read. A lot of people smoke to help unwind.

You mention that you only smoke a bit and avoid getting stoned, which I don't see as a problem. Back when I used weed to deal with my own issues, I would heavily smoke because I couldn't deal with my issues if I wasn't stoned. Comparing what you've mentioned to my own experiences, I'd say you're on a pretty safe path.

Props for not smoking in front of your kids. As long as you continue to avoid doing so and don't become a heavy user getting stoned 24/7 I'd say you got nothing to worry about.

5. Andijvie

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The way you describe it doesnt sound like its a problem to me.
    It sounds like you know the effect it has on you, and it helps you relax.
    Dont think there's anything wrong with that.

Personally i dont respond well to weed at all, but know a lot of people that smoke it socially i suppose is the word?

I dont know how it is where ever you guys live, but here its totally accepted and even used for various medical issues.
    (I literally live like 100 meters away from at least 3 shops that sell it)

I guess my point is, if you know the effects on you and it helps you and you use it responsably, there wouldnt be a problem? :slight_smile:

6. ABeautifulMind

I think it was my comment (maybe) that sparked this thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think I am in the same boat, but I am going to try an experiment... I know sooner than later I will be coming out to my family, once I do, I will be quitting smoking pot a bit and seeing what happens... I also have AS, but it is well managed if not controlled... I will see how it compares to the last time I quit smoking for work... See if it is easier without the anxiety of being in the closet...

All that aside, I definitely dont see a problem with weed, and will not quit forever, ever.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have generally avoided (with a few lapses here and there) drinking alcohol, I don't know why, but being intoxicated just brings me down to places I don't want to be. The same for weed, it doesn't do much for me.

I recently learned that Nietzsche advocated abstinence from alcohol, not for any moral reason, but because, just like Christianity (or religions in general), they both serve to dull pain. Nietzsche considered pain and suffering to be important signals for one to pay attention to. Happiness, for Nietzsche, was about the struggle to overcome the sources of this pain and in so doing, to become stronger, by overcoming oneself.

Fascinating question, isn't it? He talked about alcohol, but in our time, how many other addictions keep us numb to feeling the thousand insults to our dignity and freedom that we "tolerate" each and every day? Television, the internet, our mobile devices, school, etc. etc. how many things do we do to avoid feeling the pain that afflicts us daily, like traffic jams, financial worries, relationship issues, powerlessness, etc.?

8. ABeautifulMind

I try to avoid alcohol as well in large amounts... I can handle a little bit and have a good time.. but if i pass my "little bit" limit, it all seems to go down hill...

but weed, no such issues.. I have never had anything negative happen from weed... Like it never puts me in a bad mood, or makes me freak out or anything... just relaxes me...

9. HereWeGo

I smoke week pretty regularly. It's something I only started doing the past 2-3 years. It helps me relax in the evening after a crazy day at work.

However, when I came out to my wife, our couples therapist suggested I cut it out for awhile. Weed does numb emotions and my therapist thought it was more important to be sober and deal with my emotions instead of trying to cover them up. (I was also coming off anti-depressants as well). I think it helped being sober for awhile to figure things out.

10. CyclingFan

There are some definite positives to weed even if we just restrict it comparatively to other substances that people use to catch a buzz. It's at least very difficult to impossible to consume so much that you will inadvertently die, which is quite unique. I think it might have been the stoner poet Nobert Rietzsche who said "That which makes me stronger, does not kill me." But he is, of course, a bit of a partisan so he should be dismissed altogether. :wink:

At the risk of outing myself as also something of a partisan, I will say that I just had a few puffs of the Devils lettuce, and hey just like those damn hippies said it does work well for falling asleep. Night y'all

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Folks, weed is not a harmless, "no problem" drug. I'm not interested in getting into a "which is worse" discussion with alcohol or any other drug; they all have downsides.

Here is what I am hearing straight from the trenches: the people who work with substance use issues on a daily basis:

-- The weed of 2016 is nothing like the weed of even 5 or 10 years ago. The potency rate of even 10 years ago was about 8 to 10%. Today, it is not less than 25%, and depending on variety, can be up to 90% active THC. That creates a severe risk of a number of adverse effects. Most recently, there has been a dramatic uptick in ER admissions for marijuana-induced psychosis. There are also small but increasing published reports of people showing strong allergic reactions that can result in severe symptoms (uncontrollable vomiting and nausea that can last for several days after use.)

-- As for the idea that marijuana is effective for insomnia: Technically yes, it will make you sleep. But it also suppresses REM sleep, so the sleep won't actually serve the principal purposes for which sleep is necessary. And since marijuana is actually an "all-arounder" it stimulates not only the neurotransmitters that relax, but also the ones that stimulate metabolism... so those who smoke weed regularly and then quit often experience severe insomnia.

-- Additionally, the drug in its more recent form is addictive, and (depending on area of the country) marijuana addiction is either the #1 or #2 primary drug for which people are being admitted to rehab. It is, according to the clinicians I work with who work with teens, more difficult to break the addiction to than some opiates, and requires a much longer "clean time' before the "fog" that can result clears out.

It's important, particularly as states are legalizing this potent, powerful, and potentially life-destroying drug that we realize the negative potential it has.

There are a lot of factors that affect whether a given person is likely prone to addiction; there's no question that some are more prone to it than others, and unfortunately, there's no way to reliably tell, in advance, if someone is addiction prone.

But one thing that is definitely true: If you don't ever use in the first place, or you stop using before you have a problem... you'll never have a problem.

For my money, that's the smartest move one can make.

12. ABeautifulMind

That to me just sounds like now that it is legal, it is increasing in potency and some people do not know how to do things without abusing them.

I wasnt going to say anything but some of that info is just wrong... The idea that marijuana is physically addictive is just wrong. It can be psychologically addictive, but not physically. It doesnt work as implied above involving "dopamine reward pathways" like cocaine and methamphetamine. It uses THC, a cannibinoid, to attach to cannibinoid receptors.

Potentially life destroying drug? I just want to point out that marijuana is one of the safest psychoactive substances in the world, and while sure, some people may not react exactly the same, the idea that we shouldnt legalize marijuana is almost immoral. We live in a society that despite any allegedly perceived dangerous that you think you see in marijuana, they could NEVER outweigh the good it can do... It helps medically speaking with nearly everything. Kills certain types of cancer through apoptosis. Prevents seizures with evidence of being able to STOP THEM midway with application topically. I have read so many of your posts where you sound so reasonable and relatable, but it actually scares me a little to see someone so publicly condemning what is arguable the safest treatment for so many issues... You say habitual use leads to (psychological only) dependence. Well lets say someone has depression and has to use meds habitually and is addicted to them... That sounds better? You really think pills are a better solution? And you might say, you never said that, but by arguing against marijuana, that is the only option you are leaving a large portion of our society, and i think that is.... well not cool to put it lightly... And I use depression here, but there are so many issues it can help with in the EXACT same way, getting people off of actual dangerous drugs, and onto a plant that has been around probably since before man....

People smoking marijuana going to rehab btw, is not for physical addiction, but when someone smokes marijuana because they are trying to escape reality (rehab usually implies non medical purely recreational use) and then they get caught and have to quit, yea rehab is important because when someone has something in reality they need to escape, they wont be able to quit until the reality they are trying to escape changes or they can cope with it... In other words, if they stay in their reality they will want to escape it still, but marijuana is not the cause of that, it is a symptom. The (psychological) addiction you are addressing here, is an addiction to being inebriated, to escaping reality, not an addiction to marijuana. And rehab is an attempt to make people better able to cope with their reality without needing to escape it... That is why people go for marijuana... It isnt because they are addicted to it, it is so they can learn to cope with reality without needing to get inebriated on anything...

Im not sure what your insomnia paragraph is actually on about... once you get used to sleeping with weed and you quit it can be harder to sleep without? What about other sleep aids? Instead of ever smoking weed, say someone needs to sleep, in the past people have used pharmaceuticals (way worse in my opinion) or alcohol (also way worse). And guess what, either way you get psychological AND physical addiction. Plus alcohol is neurotoxic.

And idk what world you live in, but the idea that you shouldnt or dont consider marijuana relative to other alternatives, thats just illogical... Everything in life is relative... solutions with more positive outcome and less negative outcome should always take priority. Marijuana fits that.

Lastly, gonna address the argument about potency. I think what you are referencing is a little skewed. It is actually "dabs," or concentrates, that are leading to so many more problems. But media is "smearing" all marijuana in the process of reporting, and that doesnt even bring up that this research is sponsored by big pharma... they couldnt possibly have an ulterior motive... These concentrates might be causing more hospitalizations, certain neurological disorders, etc. But research is now coming out that illustrates that it is the purity/potency that causes the problems, not the THC. Concentrates are not 25% thc, they are 100% thc. and people smoking it get far more high off far less, which boosts tolerance, causing them to smoke more, and with 100% thc it is causing problems. But looking at our society and the bullshit that pharmaceutical companies get away with, I would argue we should be researching marijuana so that we can make an adult informed decision sure, but to continue prohibition because of a select group abusing the purest form, is just unfair. Why not prohibit pain medication and barbituates too? they are abused at many times the rate of concentrates...

I know this post flows terribly... I just started replying to each of chips points one at a time and it came out like this...

If you still want to campaign against marijuana, at least be fair and campaign against the drugs (pharmaceuticals) that are being abused by more, causing more problems in our society, and causing additional health problems for more people in our society. Because without marijuana, that is what you are condemning people to, pharmaceuticals. You can not make a decision about marijuana outside of that fact.

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2016 at 08:26 AM ----------

That turned out long, my mistake, but you know potheads and their defense of marijuana...

BTW, I forgot to mention that the latest research is even showing THC can slow the grow of beta-amyloid proteins, the theorized cause of Alzheimer's... So just remember that condemning marijuana and prohibiting it, and therefore prohibiting research, may also be condemning people from the first real and effective treatment and possibly even cure, for one of the most common problems in our society... Do you have a loved one with dementia or Alzheimer? Those who do probably like the idea of an effective treatment, even if it means using this horrible potentially life destroying drug....

Its funny, I argue all the time that marijuana is a life saving miracle, that also improves life. To hear someone legitimately calling marijuana potentially life destroying just seems so.... off...

13. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. Marijuana isn't completely safe, but It's a lot safer than most other drugs used daily. Alcohol by far is a worse and more dangerous drug to be using, and that's a fact. Marijuana doesn't kill anybody unless mixed with other drugs, while alcohol has killed over 60,000. Some of that attributed to liver damage, but there's also the fact it kills innocent people, via car crashes or by violent drunks who can't control themselves. I'm a survivor of abuse by an alcoholic who is a totally normal and loving person while sober (and who continued being a loving person after having quit drinking). I never had the same issues with a weed user.

Even prescribed medications are far more dangerous. Their side effects kill many people, there's a higher risk of overdose, and physical dependency.

Physical addiction with marijuana is not really possible in the same way you get addicted to alcohol or nicotine, however emotional addiction absolutely is. You can get addicted to marijuana in the same way you can get addicted to chocolate, video games, or exercising.

I'm not saying weed is without it's faults, the biggest fault being that it can slow brain cells and harm developing brains in minors. In which case, the solution is just to make it legal to people age 21 or older like has been the case for alcohol. It's not like you're not harming the body everytime you drink either. Even social drinking can be unhealthy, but adults have the right to make that choice.

Most of the dangers of marijuana comes from it being illegal. People have to go to drug dealers, where it can be mixed with far more dangerous drugs and substances. If legalized, it would be regulated and pose far less of an issue. The same problem happened with the prohibition laws against alcohol. Alcohol started hurting and killing more people until it was legalized again.

#13 Creativemind, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh god, the above post is straight out of the marijuana apologist playbook. Here we go...

The above statement is simply not true. Since people are always bitching about wanting sources... here you go. Quoting from one of the pharmacology texts sitting on my desk (apologies in advance to those annoyed by the denseness of the text; the only way to answer this sort of ignorance is with solid scientific info:slight_smile:

And from another:
    Now that we've got solid science (the above texts cite literally dozens of very reputable references to primary research backing their statements), I can also say on a more anecdotal note that most of the clinicians I work with who are chemical dependency specialists say that marijuana is a particularly serious problem, and unfortunately, ignorant statements based on outdated information, like the above, are contributing to the problem. That's part of why it's important to talk about it. Perhaps after you've spoken with a few dozen people who are in recovery (and often struggling) from serious dependency on weed, and hear the stories of the impact it's had on them, as I have, you might understand better.

The notion that "pills" are automatically better or worse than so-called "natural" materials is unscientific, unfounded, and, again, simply wrong. If we're talking about depression specifically, and talking about dependence, if you are using the word "dependence" in its correct, clinical usage, then SSRI and SNRI antidepressants do not create dependence, because one does not build tolerance to them. However, I can argue that many SSRI/SNRI antidepressants are only minimally better than placebo. And marijuana is an "all-arounder" in the sense that its neurochemical actions both stimulate and depress the different neurotransmitter pathways. As such, it is not a good antidepressant. The best first-line choice for depression is therapy if the depression isn't severe. For severe depression, there are some great studies showing promise of St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, and a couple of other non-toxic, non-habit forming supplements. If those fail, then SSRI/SNRIs are a good 2nd choice. Weed would be at the bottom of my list for depression.

Another specious argument. For most of the maladies that marijuana claims to treat, there is precious little to nonexistent credible evidence (other than unscientific claims and poorly-designed studies posted by the pro-weed crowd.)

Again, simply not true.

In principle there's truth to parts of this. Any addiction, to any drug, is an addiction to intoxication, and there's pretty solid data that about 60 to 90% of those struggling with addiction have a co-occuring disorder of some type (anxiety, depression, PTSD, etc.). But this in no way validates the idea that marijuana use is less prone to addiction.

Basically, anything that suppresses REM sleep is bad in the long run, as we need REM sleep in order to maintain health. Marijuana suppresses REM sleep. In addition, because of the nature of the way it interacts with the neurotransmission system, the insomnia that results during marijuana withdrawal is far, far worse than the original insomnia it was being used to treat. That was my point.

Alcohol is a terrible sleep aid. After a few hours, the breakdown of alcohol results in constituents that create insomnia. Which is why many people find that they wake in the middle of the night after having initially gotten to sleep using alcohol, and can't get back to sleep.

As to sleep aids... again, there are many non-drug alternatives that are a first choice and often extremely effective. Breathing and meditation techniques would be my first choice. Then melatonin, valerian root, and/or 5-HTP, among others. Then one of the milder sleep aids (one of which is a slightly more complex melatonin-like molecule that is minimally toxic, non-habit forming, and does not create tolerance.)

When you actually look at the solid, reliable data, there are very, very few circumstances where marijuana is a first choice for much of any common disorder other than getting high. T And that's the problem... we're selling a potent, habit-forming drug that creates strong biochemical tolerance as a harmless cure-all. And it isn't. There are exceptions, such as CBD and its value in suppression of seizures and a number of other promising areas... but that isn't marijuana, it's an isolated component of marijuana, and that discussion has almost nothing to do with recreational use that's being discussed here.

And, at least here in California, what happens very quickly among adolescents is that if they start with smokable marijuana (which is currently about 20-30% THC), a large percentage move to high-potency edibles or to wax, dabs, or other concentrates.

Marijuana IS a pharmaceutical. The fact that it stems from a natural source (as do the majority of drugs of abuse) doesn't change that fact. This entire argument seems to rest on some arbitrary line between "pills" (bad) and "marijuana" (good.)

Actually, again, the data here is scant and questionable. There are actually a number of real breakthroughs happening right now on breaking down beta-amyloid proteins, some of which, from early data, appear to completely reverse and eliminate alzheimers symptoms. And they aren't based on cannabis.

Are there worse drugs? Sure. Are there more addictive drugs? Yup. But the problem here is representing this drug as a miracle, harmless, life-enhancing cure-all. It isn't. And I stand by my original statement, which is backed by just about all of the current credible science out there... for many people, marijuana has been a life-destroying drug that people struggle with. It is not the harmless recreational distraction that the pro-marijuana lobby would have people believe.

Can some people use it safely? Sure. But increasingly, because of what we know about the neurobiology of addiction, more and more young people are susceptible to addiction, because of the increase in stress in society that is affecting early childhood bonding, one of the strongest predictors of addiction risk. And if you have the possibility of becoming dependent on a drug (as almost everyone does, since there's no way to definitively know in advance who is) ... why take the risk?

15. ABeautifulMind

Ill be honest, I havent read your post yet, I have to get off here for now, but my first thought, is who finances your quoted "research"

All research regarding marijuana is new. Who would pay for research? maybe someone trying to discredit it? like pharmaceutical companies trying to extend its prohibition?

And as far as trying to discredit my argument about it not being scientific to say weed is usually better then pills, I have an idea. Start a poll. Simple, which would you prefer if you had to choose a treatment for depression, if you suffered from it. Marijuana. Or a drug cocktail of different medications. And lets be honest, I have never heard of anyone who only takes one pill to treat anything like depression...

You can try to argue that its unscientific all you want, but the bottom lie is marijuana is safer, and marijuana most definitely is not a pharmaceutical... It is a plant that is dried. A pharmaceutical requires refinement and processing. Usually contains who knows what synthetic compounds... marijuana is just a plant. Just because it has psychoactive compounds doesnt make it a pharmaceutical...

Anyways, I may or may not come back and read your post, im not sure yet, but ill be honest, I dont usually waste my time on people who are just so completely brain washed.. The idea you think current science on marijuana is admissable as unbiased/objective is just laughable... the government doesnt finance research, so what company would other than pharmaceuticals trying to prevent legalization.. of course the research is completely biased...

---------- Post added 15th Sep 2016 at 12:18 AM ----------

I forgot, the addiction you mentioned is exactly what I described. Meaning it is an issue with mental problems... So if your using weed to treat depression instead of pills and you quit smoking weed, of course you have problems. If you take a normal healthy happy person and they smoke weed, its non addictive. It isnt until it is used as an escape that the addiction your talking about happens... at which point choosing between being addicted to weed or pills is an easy choice for most people...

16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always find it interesting when people who make claims that have nothing to back them up try to discredit factual information by arguing they "don't read posts by people who are brainwashed" or proposing that a poll is more accurate than carefully developed studies, or questioning who is paying for the research.

As for the claims about research bias... the problem is that the credible research isn't just a small handful of studies... it's hundreds of studies, from all over the world, produced by people with no horse in the race. Many are funded by the universities themselves, some by federal and state funds, none that I've seen by pharmaceutical companies or any sources with a clear outcome or agenda in mind. (The same cannot be said for the poor excuse for studies produced by the pro-marijuana lobby.)

And particularly funny is "Well, I know you have facts and data to back you up, but I know I'm right because... I'm right." And the ignorance the rest of your post displays, on every aspect you are speaking of, simply speaks for itself. The old quote "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt" applies here.

I'm not trying to be mean... just saying, there's an argument to be made for some of the things you're attempting to say (and there are points on which we agree), but the approach you're taking is probably the worst attempt I've ever run into.

17. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to get into the above discussion I'm only going to talk about my personal experiences.

I am very glad that I smoked cannabis when I did, I started when I was 21 a very responsible age. I used to be a very black and white thinker. At a young age I was very "set in my ways" once I learned something whether it was right or wrong I usually refused to open my mind to new information. Weed really helped me open up emotionally and even be a more logical thinker, it has helped me in many ways, and hurt me very little.

I cant speak for every one but quitting has never been a problem for me. The only thing I experience when quitting is a lack of appetite for 1 or 2 days then it's back to normal, if that is the only physical withdrawal then I'm fine with that.

Unless you are one of those people who run or do yoga or something like that(if you are one of those people then more power to you) then most people want/need a vice to help them deal with the world and stresses of life. Smoking a little weed after a productive day really is not harmful, we could be doing worse.

No its not a cure all and if used incorrectly can lead to a unfulfilling boring wasted life. People that do nothing but smoke all day really are doing themselves a disservice.

Used sparingly and under the right circumstances it can be just great.

18. CyclingFan

Woosh!

Man, did those goal posts move fast! From a first post where you tried to preemptively shut down discussion on the relative demerits of different drugs, to this one where you are forced to concede actual facts. From a post where you are clearly mistating factual information, to this one where you claim the mantle of truth for yourself via more argument by assertion and argument by authority, and then accuse others of arguing in bad faith. It's...a weird way to persuasively argue.

Literally no one here has argued that cannabis is a risk free, cost free cure all. Humans will alter their consciousness, for good and bad reasons, with good and bad results. Risk without reward is stupid, but claiming that something is risky without acknowledging the positives is a crap argument, no matter how correct it may prove to be. And this is treating this argument with much more respect than it deserves.

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um, no. The goalposts are consistent all the way through.

Sure.

Actual fact: Marijuana is addictive.
    Actual fact: One of the most major drugs-of-choice of new admissions to treatment is marijuana (and it is not, as falsely reported, an admission for a behavioral/psychological issue.
    Actual fact: 10% of those who have ever used marijuana will go on to become addicts; 50% of those who are daily smokers will become addicts. (citation above.)
    Actual fact: The incidence of ER admissions due to serious side effects from high-potency marijuana use has skyrocketed in the past two years. (If I remember right, it's about a 1000% increase.)
    Actual fact: long-term psychosis and severe resulting damage to basic brain functions taking over a year to heal are becoming commonly reported as a byproduct of high-potency marijuana use.
    Actual fact: For most of the purported beneficial uses for marijuana, there are other alternatives that do the job better, without the downside risks that marijuana poses.

I don't think so. If you think so, please indicate, and cite your opposing sources.

Facts are facts. Our world, but particularly the world of medicine, addiction medicine, and brain biochemistry is one ruled by science, research, credible studies and data published by credible professionals in the field.

OK, so let me get this straight: reporting accurate, factual information, from credible sources, and using that to (correctly) assert that there are significant risks, with this data being acknowledged as correct... is "crap" because somehow there's an obligation to acknowledge positives associated with something that's demonstrably risky ?

Great. So let's talk about bank robbery. I shouldn't discourage people from robbing banks unless I'm also saying, in effect, "If you get away with it, you could be wealthy beyond belief, never have to work again, and have a lovely life." That makes a lot of sense. [/sarcasm]

And once again, I find it fascinating how the people attempting to argue the counter point use such pathetic arguments.

20. Mr B

I had a bit of a marijuana induced psychosis in my early 20s and can say that it was not nice at all. Marijuana always gave me bad trips and after that event, I gradually stopped smoking and and haven't done so for almost 15 years. That said, I know a lot of people who never had any problems at all with it. In retrospective, at that time, I was deeply insecure, in the closet, in denial, and putting myself under an enormous amount of pressure to conform. I was seeing all my straight friends graduating, getting girlfriends, starting their careers, etc... and I was not even at university yet and feeling I had missed the boat. I felt I had no chance of ever getting that perfect girlfriend to make my parents proud. I also had a lot of shame and guilt from some gay experiences while drunk. Its easy to blame the weed, but in retrospective, I think its just like the match that you use to light a fire, and if there is petrol around, it may cause an explosion. I think it might be relatively safe to use recreationally, but if you have any underlying issues, it may trigger something more serious.

#20 Mr B, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016