1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuff you do to feel happy

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Katchoo, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I was talking with a friend today about how even though it's important to have other people in our lives, sometimes we have to make our happiness ourselves, not depending on anyone else.

I need to make a list of things that I can do by myself to make myself happy. Says something about my level of dependence on others that Ido not want to make this list alone. But, embracing the awkwardness, what do to make yourself happy by yourself?

Dirty answers are allowed if they are solo. :wink:

My friend said things such as:
    -Listening to music
    -Dance party alone
    -Eating her favorite fruit snacks
    -Eating caramel popcorn while watching a movie from Redbox
    -Going to the dollar theater

What about you?

2. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sadly I have only one thing on my list:

Smile :slight_smile:

3. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a good one!

Sometimes I google image search pictures of baby farm animals to get through really tough staff meetings.

4. yuanzi

Hmm I think I am the opposite because I actually like doing most things by myself... Anyway besides the usual (eating/reading books/listening to music/etc), I really really like shopping and watching movies by myself because I wouldn't feel bad for spending 15 minutes checking out a cheap piece of jewelry or force myself to watch some movie that I am not interested in.

OMG what does that say about myself I wonder...

5. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Listening to music-I was listening to Five finger Death Punch in my car. Loud, obnoxious, testosterone fuelled, angry heavy metal has a weird calming effect on me.

Driving, probably a little faster than I should. I love that Paul Walker quote: "If one day speed kills me, do not cry, because I was smiling." Yup.

Watching hockey(thank heavens for the World Cup!), thinking about hockey, and just hockey in general. It's the NHL offseason, but luckily the WC is underway. Sometimes I like to take my frustrations out on a few street hockey pucks in the driveway. I've broken a few sticks taking slap shots. Very hard slap shots.

Sometimes I like going to the golf range, renting a driver and bucket of balls, and just wailing on them as hard as possible. It works. Very healthy way to take out your frustrations.

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2016 at 10:14 PM ----------

Also, puppies and kitties.

6. PrettyinPunk

There's very little I can do that doesn't make me happy or at least keep me entertained. Doing different things and going places. Driving around without destination is nice. Going shopping or fun activities outside.

Listening to music, dancing, singing, watching movies, playing video games or even board games. I'm happy when I'm drawing, writing, or doing other design projects. I like any creative project and though I'm terrible at sewing making costumes is fun. I love to go swimming and workout. Amusement parks, concerts, festivals, and traveling. I could go on, basically I like to do lots of things.:icon_bigg

7. trisb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Watching movies, singing, looking at cute cat pics, eating ice cream, baking and making myself a nice meal.

Like yuanzi, I have no problem enjoying time alone. Being in the company of people whom I don't enjoy stresses me out and I can't wait to leave them and their voices behind.

8. hexamum

I'm pretty much a loner tbh. Even though I have kids, so I almost constantly have company, I don't really count them, as I can sit in a room silent with them.
    Having to keep conversation going, drains me sometimes.

I enjoy craft projects. I'm a papercrafter. I often have commissions to complete, so I engross myself in those. Although I like to have background music on, as solitary thinking gets a bit manical occasionally. :/

9. CameOutSwinging

This has actually been on my mind too! Thanks for creating this thread. Honestly, there's almost nothing that I actually enjoy doing by myself. The only two I can really think of are walking and going to the movies. I really need more solo hobbies.

10. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forgot, going for a walk with some music on usually cheers me up. Working out usually helps too.

11. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am kind of jealous on the introverts for this topic. Being alone well is a really important skill to have, but it's really tough for me.

Some of the things I do trying to be happy really just turn into things to numb out, like playing puzzle games on my phone and ignoring everything. I want to figure out how to feel happy, not numb.

I think sometimes I need to give myself permission to do something and really enjoy it, instead of feeling guilty about all the tasks I haven't done. If I can really enjoy something, I'll probably do better at getting things done after.

I really like the app Buddhify. It has guided mindfulness meditations that you don't necessarily have to sit still for. I really enjoy that.

I really like driving around, especially to new places. I play Ingress, which is the game they used as a template for the Pokémon go map. I really enjoy using that game to explore.

In the spring, I hung out on my back porch a lot. I loved it. Now that is less hell-like in temperature outside, I should get back to that. I hung a hammock in the spring, too. I love chilling there, even for just a few minutes. I want to get back to that, too.

12. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yes, I LOVE hanging out on the deck. I haven't lately, but now that it's getting nice out, I think I'll find some time to. Sitting in my room, sulking and crying, is probably not too healthy. I should come out of my seclusion.

13. dew

dew

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i'm always surprised by how different people are. i am always jealous of people who can actually be with others. i love doing things alone and company can only ruin those things for me. f.e. concert with friends actually ruins that music for me, as they constantly complain or comment on everything.

things i do that make me happy:
    1. music - listening and even writing reviews for fun (i listen to all genres in many languages)
    2. reading
    3. writing (mostly poetry)
    4. watching football and tv series
    5. research for college
    6. investigating million different things - language, literature, politics, music, religion, history or universe, it doesn't matter, i want to know more about everything and can spend half of the day reading about it on the internet
    7. video games
    8. trying to find out/discover something new (usually in linguistics)
    9. thinking and fantasizing about the most random things (living somewhere else)
    10. twitter!

luckily, i have a job that takes less than half of my day, so i can actually do almost all of this every day.

14. nbd

nbd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Writing! I love finding a prompt, putting on some quiet calming music and just letting the words flow. There are a ton of cute notebooks out with prompts and blank pages, nicely bound, with thick paper. Grab a good pen and sit outside and that's just heaven to me.

15. ABeautifulMind

Your jealous of introverts? I have never heard that phrase without a sarcastic tone lol...

If your mad and wanting to relax:
    Music (hardcore)
    Internet Forums to vent
    Driving
    working out
    smoking a joint

If your in a good mood and bored:
    movies
    beach
    pool
    performance (concert, comedian, magician, etc)
    smoke a joint

I guess those would be my list... for when your pissed music and working out is pretty relaxing... I recommend Avenged Sevenfold, but only if your pissed or like metal type music...

Either way, I wish you luck on your solo adventuring :grin:

---------- Post added 15th Sep 2016 at 11:00 AM ----------

I love the song in your sig clustergazelle

16. CameOutSwinging

I'm with Katchoo! I really want to be more comfortable with "me" time, but I'm the complete opposite of an introvert.

A friend of mine recently suggested going to a museum by myself. I've never thought about that, but I could envision why that would seem kind of nice. I'm strongly considering trying it out.

17. HuskyLover

Stuff that makes me feel happy... I guess anything that distracts my mind from my current life. Other than that, I watch movies or just spend some time on youtube.

18. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Listen to music.
    Play with my dogs.
    Watch funny videos.
    Hang out with my friends.
    Watch anime.
    Paint/color/draw.
    Swim.
    Play video games.
    Cuddle.
    Have sex or talk about sex. :icon_redf

#18 Anthemic, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  19. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    to feel happy, alone....

in no particular order.

getting dressed as my feminine self

look for properties that i can live my dreams on. nothing fancy just house and big yard, nice shed....

making things like fruit preserves.

learning/relearning old skills

meditation

taking the air rife or bow into the back yard for target practice, my Zen moments that are repeatable with every shot.:icon_bigg

20. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *raises hand* :wave:

LOL.

Seriously, though, masturbation can be fun and healthy. It's a good release of endorphins in the brain, it's pretty simple (for me at least :lol:slight_smile:, and it's a way for me to fantasize about areas of my bisexuality that my monogamous marriage may not go to.

Beyond that, I also like bicycling, video games (killing dragons, etc.), playing the bass, and reading. I'm an introvert, so it's easy for me to be alone and okay for long periods.

I hope you're feeling better soon, Katchoo. (*hug*)