1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking things as they are, and feeling empty

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Sep 20, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not really sure what I expected to happen. Sometimes, I get really bored. Well, a lot of the time. And my job is... unpleasant. Not that I do anything bad in my job, but I feel absolutely no connection to what I do. Evenings at home are often dull, maybe a bit empty. Now, does any of this have anything to do with being gay or being closeted? Not really, no. But part of me really expected all of that to change when I came out. Part of me thought that being closeted was the cause of all of my problems or dissatisfaction. But it wasn't. It was the cause of a lot of issues, but not all of them.

Anyway, I feel empty. Not in a bad way, if that makes sense, but in an empty way.

What to do? I don't know.

2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Crazydog

Have you considered doing some volunteer work for a local charity? I know I get on this all the time...but, what about some sort of club/league? There is a reason these groups exist. It is to provide other people what you are seeking.

I have been alone weekday evenings for about 10 years now. My wife has taken care of sick parents forever. I used to just waste the evenings. Sometimes I still do when I don't get off my ass. Now, I go for a bike ride and get really tired and go to sleep early and try to have time to get up really early.

For some reason, it is hard for me to have an empty morning...Empty evenings yes...so, I simply eliminated them!

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nick is right. You need to get out of the house and do something. Meet people, join groups, get involved with activity. Sitting home doing nothing is going to feel like nothing. So, go do something.