1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Already dreading the holiday season...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BMC77, Sep 22, 2016.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As the title says, I'm already dreading the holiday season, which starts in about two months now... :tears: :bang:

Somehow I have to make it through to January totally alone. With not even a casual friend to take away the sting of holiday loneliness. With no family to gather 'round a hearth with, either.

Maybe something can change in the next two months. Maybe Hell will freeze, and I'll acquire at least a casual friend. But, more likely than not, it'll be a lonely few weeks starting in late Nov. as I try to survive until 1/2/2017. If I can... Every year, I feel more worn down by this...

2. Surutcra

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well, if it helps at all, I'm right there with you. I have come to hate the holidays and the "life benchmarker" they inevitably end up as. It's probably the worst time of year for lonely people. I too am already trying to think of strategies to cope because I have no hope for them being different this year than they usually are. As much as January sucks in the Northeast, I welcome it because it feels like a return to normalcy for me. I deal much better with dark and dreary freezing days than being constantly reminded that I have no one, yet another year in a row.

If you're able, I recommend taking a trip somewhere, even if it's alone. I did that two years ago and it gave me both something to look forward to going into it and something to break up the time of the "season" into smaller parts.

3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes...I am there as well...you see...my family has abandoned me for years and since my partner has passed away six years ago...I definitely dread the holidays big time. My only saving grace is that my close friends whom I do hang out with and my late partner's family always invites me over for the holidays. However, although I am around them but I still feel empty and lonely without him being around. He loved the holidays and by him being such a romantic...he always made the holidays so special.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks!

Not possible, unless my finances improve dramatically in the next couple of months... Sigh... I've thought of this idea before. A fantasy 10 years ago was the thought of spending Christmas in a different major city every year (particularly if I could get to foreign cities). More realistically, I've considered just some local vacation...but never had any idea of what to do, and never really had the spare cash, either.

I think the people who are gone can definitely make the holidays harder... I have found myself haunted by memories of years gone by--sometimes people (e.g., my mother), and sometimes places (it was...strange when we hit the 20 year mark since my last Christmas in my childhood home a few years ago).