1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

listing "healthy" when it comes to partner wants

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by YeahpIdk, Sep 27, 2016.

1. YeahpIdk

I recently put myself back on a dating app, which I've already given up on...again. I always last about two weeks on them and just give up. It's so inorganic and awkward to me. I never get messages from people I want to get them from. And I don't always receive messages back from those I message. If I do, they're usually so dull. This round on the dating app I spoke to a few women, one I thought was extremely attractive, and they were a total dud.

I also may be hard to please? I like fun, energetic talking.

Anyway. I was noticing a theme on some peoples' profiles. When they were listing qualities they wanted in a partner, "healthy" was one of them. It seemed a bit offensive to me, probably because currently, I'd be considered unhealthy. And also, because I'm currently suffering from a chronic medical issue, I don't know if I'll ever be "healthy." At the same time, I wonder what this means for people. Are they talking about being physically fit? Like they want someone who will be able to hike. That's what comes into my mind when I think of a healthy person. Someone who can hike like a champ. Break a sweat. And eats a protein bar or something. And then I get a little sad. I don't interact with these people, obviously because I don't fit their criteria, especially right now, but it's making me wonder if I have some of my problems forever, will I have a hard time finding someone?

I am suffering from, what I believe to be, severe nasal lining damage from over using nasal sprays and extreme chronic headaches. I've gone through over a year of some level of hell between being so sick, doctors not knowing what was wrong/some being unwilling to try and help, and now the insane length of time it's taking to "heal." My nose seems to be getting better with a TON of self care, very, very slowly. But I don't know what these headaches are yet. They happened suddenly on my way into work one day, but also came when I was starting to be at my worst with sinus problems (please don't offer any advice on this. I'm doing alright-ish and people who try to help usually trigger me. Sorry, and thanks!) They're much better than they were, but they're still pretty bad when they pop in - which is with certain movements. I couldn't hike up a mountain right now because of it. I'm hoping my nose will be fully restored, but what if my headaches are there forever? They don't stop me from being able to walk or run up and down the stairs anymore, but I can't laugh extremely hard (so horrible, like a punishment), and I can't do anything super exerting. So I wonder what the level of acceptable health is to people who say this.

And what is health? Does that include mental health? Feeling like people who write something so unfairly general are lacking empathy. I'm not looking for that. Seems unhealthy!

I know I'm rambling. But it upsets me a little. Like, if I have chronic headaches forever that prevent me from doing certain things, does that lower the already tiny lesbian lover pond for me? Like I can work and cook and sit around and read and have sex with you, but maybe I can't run a mile without my head feeling like it will explode.

Inside I know that's untrue because people fall inlove under worse circumstances, and it's stupid for me to even care because I wouldn't consider these people even I was in tip top shape - it makes them sound like an asshole. But it still pissed me off. lol.

#1 YeahpIdk, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. OldDog1952

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well I think they are more concerned about STD's than A sinus condition. However I can see how this can piss A person off. It kinda makes the question A generalization. At any rate my motto is better to get pissed off than pissed on. Unless your into that kinda thing. L.M.A.O

3. YeahpIdk

LOL. That last part got me good.

4. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think what they mean is being physically fit/active/eating healthy.
    Imo eating healthy says that they care about their well being, will enjoy being healthy with their partner.

Most people will have some kind of health issue, even the ones that exercise and eat well.
    I doubt that the onliners are looking for mountain climbers:icon_wink
    Dealing with tough sinus and headache issue for some time sorta magnifies the interpretation. People just want to live healthy lifestyle with their SO.

As for your sinuses, sorry if I trigger.. I had a mild but constant issue with sinuses till moving to a warm climate. The issue is gone now. Not to simplify what you have of course. Must be difficult to limit yourself even if it is a temporary thing.
    I hope you keep improving (!)

5. YeahpIdk

Lol. I didn't really think about the STD thing. I still think it's rude.

Yeah, it's not really my sinuses that are much of an issue, but they've become involved from the damage. I didn't take care of a sinus infection, probably allowed an infection to linger too long and suffered from those symptoms (constant blowing/sneezing), and then used nasal sprays for way too long. It seems likely that I dried the hell out of my nasal lining. I just hope it recoops/regenerates. It seems like it is, at a freaking glacial pace.

If it's just about living healthy. Then yeah, I can roast a mean kale chip with the rest of'm. :slight_smile:

6. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Yeah,

I know what you mean about the dating sites...it can be frustrating and I go back and forth between dis/enabling my profile. I don't have much advice besides YOU WILL MEET SOMEONE. Lol. And I need stimulating conversation, too. Can be hard to find to meet someone you jive with.
    I respond to people who fall outside of my usual attraction ballpark and one worked out okay. Good luck and feel better!

7. Luana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dating sites are really hard!