1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boyfriend came out as gay, do we stay together or break up?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greenmint, Oct 5, 2016.

1. greenmint

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I hope this is the right place to post. I'm a bisexual woman, and my boyfriend recently came out to me as gay. He describes himself as sexually attracted to both men and women, but romantically gay. Our sex life is very active, and very good for the most part.

I love my boyfriend. He is my best friend, and the man I want to spend my life with. Prior to his coming out, he was very depressed and nearly suicidal. After coming out, his mood has changed significantly. His relationship with his son has improved, his relationship at work has improved, and his relationship with me has improved. For anyone who's in the closet reading this -- I want you to know that I am happy he came out to me, despite how incredibly painful the situation is. I did have a few moments of anger because he entered this relationship with me knowing he was gay, but overall, I am happy that he's not suffering alone anymore.

Right now, we are struggling with how to proceed.

I have known for a month. His son is in his mid-teens, and he does not want to come out to his son until his son is independent. I've urged him to reconsider, but I think he's unwilling to budge on that. That's another 4-5 years away, and he wants to stay together. Prior to meeting me, he said that his plan was to relocate and start over after his son was old enough. But now he says he wants to stay with me, and I want to stay w/him, but not if it leads to unhappiness and a lack of fulfillment for him later on.

He says he wants to stay together, that he doesn't think he can find anyone he connects with as well as he does with me, or anyone that he can love as much as he loves me. He wants to get married and move in together.

That being said, I also know he deeply desires to have a romantic relationship with a man. I don't know how to proceed.

I've laid out a few options.

A) Stay together until his son is old enough for him to relocate. Part ways then. The negative here is that I'm 25, and if I want children -- this may impact my ability to find a suitable partner before it becomes more dangerous to carry children. I'll be 29-30 when we break up, and I may not be able to find someone I mesh with early enough to start another life with.

B) Break up now. I tried, and I ended up not being able to follow through. He doesn't want to break up, but says he will accept if I want to leave.

C) Stay together. And have open relationships. We entered our current relationship with the understanding that we'd have other partners. The line was always emotional fidelity, but given the circumstances, I wouldn't be opposed to a polyamorous relationship or a nontraditional one. I just wonder if we could find someone who would want both a woman and a man as partners. It'd certainly make buying homes & retiring earlier easier in California.

Thanks for reading, just sort of at a loss. I love this man, and I love his son. And his son and I are really close. They're the family I've always wanted, and I don't want to give them up, but my partner's happiness is vital to me.

2. greenmint

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Help please! If you have a story that's similar, I'd really like some advice.

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, nobody on this forum can tell you what to do. You need to figure out what's right for you given your personal values and the particulars of your situation. Having said that, I have some questions that might help you think this through.

I don't buy the "sexually attracted to both men and women, but romantically gay". What does this mean? If he's attracted to women sexually, then he should also be attracted to them romantically. Is the desire to stay in the relationship with you strictly pragmatic or based on some real romantic attraction? I think he needs to get real about his sexuality. Have you guys googled the Kinsey scale? Perhaps that's a better model for his sexuality. Knowing where he falls on the Kinsey scale might be helpful as well. For me knowing if he's gay or bisexual (and Kinsey score) would make the decision a lot easier.

Why not come out to the son? It's 2016 and kids today are very accepting.

If he is truly gay, then why would you want to stay in a relationship with him? It's not a match. Why settle and compromise?

#3 SiennaFire, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  4. OldDog1952

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with Sienna Fire Many good points were brought up. Personally I think if he want's A relationship with green mint as much as he says he does then he should be willing to A commitment & marriage. Then she can go ahead with having A child now. Instead of waiting. If it doesn't work out later. They can divorce. This way they can both gain something from the relationship. I would also like to conclude that if he's having sex with her & men then he's not gay. Like her he's Bi Sexual. If not then I can't see the point in having A relationship with him. However that's just my opinion. Good luck with your decision green mint.(*hug*)

#4 OldDog1952, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  5. YeahpIdk

Agreeing with many of Sienna's points.

1. If he's saying he's "gay" I'd take it as him saying he's gay. Say he was only sexually attracted to you. I get that. I find men sexually attractive at times, but I'm not really that into them romantically, which is why relationships never seem to work out. So how can you both have a full relationship with sexual attraction and nothing more? If he is in fact saying he's only sexually attracted to you without being romantically attracted to you, then that means he can't have the emotional connection that a relationship thrives off of. Do you want that for yourself? I imagine it could wind up being emotionally abusive in some way.

2. You're worried that he's going to break up with you when his son turns an age he's comfortable telling him at. I think you may be onto something here. I'd be weary that he was using me for a relationship because he's not comfortable being out of the closet yet. He hasn't fully accepted himself. He's obviously scared. People do stupid things when they're scared, like continue having a straight relationship to hide that they're gay. Another circumstance where you could wind up getting really hurt.

3. You're worried that at 30 you won't be able to build a life with someone else? Idk. Please get that out of your head. Who even gets married before 30 anymore? I'm
    Going to be 30 in a few years. I'm not even close to having a full fledged relationship where I'm planning to have a baby. In fact it gives me severe anxiety to think about bein married or having a baby at my age. But to each their own. Women have babies until they're in their 40s. I really wouldn't worry about not being able to start a family. I would, however, be worried to start a family with a man who tells me he's gay and only romantically into men. I'd have a real honest talk with him.

Don't compromise yourself. Not for anyone. And definitely not at your age.

Good luck.

6. greenmint

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you guys all for commenting. I really appreciate you guys taking the time out of your day to advise me.

I'm sure there's an emotional connection, because he claims that he doesn't feel that he can love a man more than he loves me, but he has expressed that he wants to have a romantic relationship with a man in the past. He's also had romantic relationships with women that he's cared about, and is physically turned on by women and men.

He says that if he looks at men, then he's turned on by men, and if he looks at women, he's turned on by women. He can't mix both at once...

He says he's willing to commit. My concern is...whether or not I want him to commit. I'd rather he experiment first with some men, and determine if he'd prefer a life with them instead.

That being said, YeahpIdk, he did use the word gay. I'm really not sure how...to understand his sexuality. Do you guys think a counselor could help?

And regarding the marriage and children thing -- I know that a lot of people have children into their 40s, but I'm not sure if I want the risk of complication. I had a family member who waited until much later, and it was a very difficult pregnancy. Just watching them go through that really makes me nervous. And one other family member who wasn't able to conceive at all. I know it's a bit antiquated, but the fear of it is there.

7. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this, right here. Informed choices.

8. Lora

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why not cool off for the meantime? Just a little time out. Let him sort this out on his own. And like YeahpIdk, I agree that you do not compromise yourself. While he's sorting out his own thing, be available to possible and potential partner who's ready to commit to you.

9. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really buy the "sexually attracted to both men and women but romantically gay" bit very much. I agree with the posts above. Don't settle and compromise if it isn't going to benefit either of you in the long run.

10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A meaningless thing to say without actual experience with guys, and a good indication that's he's still in denial.
    From what you've written here, he sounds bisexual. This contradicts your original post, where you said he came out as gay, which helped to improve his depression. My gut tells me he's closer to a 4 or 5 on the Kinsey scale, although you haven't posted enough for me to say this with high confidence. This would be a lot easier if your BF were doing the posting.

My advice to you is to encourage him to find an LGBT therapist who can help him understand his sexuality.

#10 SiennaFire, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016