1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like a douchebag coming out to wife

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by justrob, Oct 22, 2016.

1. justrob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, all. I stumbled upon this site a few days ago after I resolved to come out to my wife of 9 years. I've read up on many other married people's experiences in the forums here, which have been amazingly helpful. I did not come across any personal stories that were quite the same as mine, but I understand that no two situations are the same. I guess I'm mainly posting here to get some of this off my chest before I have "The Talk" with her, and advice and support is much appreciated of course.

I've been gay since high school at least, but I've only acknowledged this to myself in the past month or so. I had no sexual relations with anyone until meeting my wife-to-be. My wife and I married young (23), and she is an amazing woman who loves me deeply and who sacrifices way too much of herself for my happiness and comfort. One of the things leading me to want to come out now is that she senses that I don't love her back, which is sadly true--I've never really loved her passionately. She has accused me on occasion of living like brother and sister.

Very early on in our marriage, we decided my income potential was much higher than hers, so we agreed to invest both of our efforts on my career. She stopped working one year into our marriage, and became a stay-at-home mom for what has turned into 3 kids (8, 4, and 6 months). But our plan worked: we moved all over the country for my job changes, and I went to grad school, and now I make very good money.

What is tearing me up about the thought of coming out to her is that she is going to (rightfully) feel terrified that all of the human capital investment went into me, and she is left with no significant means to support herself. Of course I will offer to continue supporting her indefinitely (as the courts would likely compel me to do in any case through alimony), but this won't change her emotional reaction to this situation. I imagine she's going to be so pissed at having sacrificed so much for me over the years. We just moved 3000 miles from where the majority of our friends and family live, so there's very little social support for either of us out here. I am not going to propose an immediate separation, but I anticipate it will be fairly quick regardless because we'll both see the writing on the wall that staying together won't work. I love her as a dear friend, but I think we're both very lonely due to the lack of intimacy. I am terrified that she'll want to move back across the country with the kids and just ask me to send a monthly check.

On top of the personal finances, we have very different prospects for finding new love. We're both still relatively young, but my wife's body has taken a toll from bearing three children, and she is sure to want to keep full custody of them (she homeschools). All this means that I will probably find a new partner relatively quickly, but she may be romantically lonely for years, perhaps a decade or more, if not forevermore. I just feel so insanely selfish for leaving her to pursue my own happiness while her prospects at the same level of happiness seem low (100% guaranteed this is not just my assessment--this will be her assessment too).

I have encouraged her over the years to be more assertive in taking what she needs for herself, but she's a martyr by nature, and I feel like I'm about to give her the ultimate reason why her martyrdom was a mistake... and I feel absolutely terrible about it.

2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

Welcome to EC :welcome: a supportive community for people who are coming out.

Based on what you wrote, I'm assuming that you are gay and there's really no question about your sexuality. Your biggest concerns are the guilt and seeing the kids.

Coming out to our wives is one of the hardest conversations we'll have in our life times as gay men in a mixed-orientation marriage. You need to do this for your own happiness. Once you work through all of this, your life will be much better as you begin to live authentically as a gay man. You will experience significant short-term emotional pain in getting there. You are going to need to face the music of your wife's reaction. My advice is to prepare for this as best you can and anticipate her reaction and give some thought to your responses. Having gone through this myself, my best advice is to just get on with it and do what you need to do. Of course you'll want to be as empathetic and understanding as possible in the process, but feeling guilty or selfish over the conversation or her reaction won't help you or your wife.

You probably learned growing up that being gay is wrong or evil from family, church, friends, or society. It's taken you time to reverse this message and accept yourself for who you are. It's not selfish in a bad way for you to live your life authentically. You are being assertive and fighting for what you truly want and value!

The other issue you allude to is the possibility of your wife's taking the kids across the country. You need to really think about what is important to you and prepare accordingly. Are you OK with this if she does this? Do you want to be a co-parent? Once you gain clarity on what you want, I would encourage you to consult with a divorce attorney so that you can educate yourself about the legal issues involved and put a plan in place.

Here is a blog I put together than might help you prepare to come out ...

If you prepare and persist, you will come out of this a much better and happier person!

HTH,
    SF

#2 SiennaFire, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  3. justrob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the response, SiennaFire. I've been preparing a lot in my head for that past couple of weeks, but I have been resisting scripting anything because I don't want to be too antiseptic or treat this like terminating an employee.

Of course you're right that it's taken me this long to accept that being gay is not wrong/evil. I grew up devoutly Catholic, and still attend mass every week. But I long to be authentic and wholehearted. My wife and I actually read Brenee Brown'a book together aloud, and it about killed me inside because I felt like what she was advocating wasn't achieveable for me.

Strangely, nearly all of my best friends are gay, going back through to friends from birth. The best man at our wedding later came out as gay, and I think my wife has sensed for a long time how coincidental it is that so many of my closest friends are gay, but I was (ostensibly) not. In a lucky sense, I guess, I will have a lot of support from my gay friends, and most of them will probably ask me why it took so long.

I really don't want her to take the kids across the country, but she will definitely have 100 times more support if she goes back home versus staying here. I'm just really torn about this, and I don't know if I could bring myself to object because I want her to have the vast majority of the control in setting up her new life since I'm the one who's causing the disruption.

To add salt to the wound, she's been especially affectionate toward me lately. She asked me the other day if we could do something big for our 10-year anniversary this coming spring. Luckily she didn't notice the look of terror and heartbreak in my eyes.

4. Night Rain

Hey there and welcome justrob!

I understand how you feel right now, but it has to be done, there's no avoiding it.

Have you considered the possibility that she knows you are gay? It sounds to me that she possibly has known or suspected and is in denial/trying to "convert" you back. Either case, it's best for you to let her know as soon as possible. Have you decided when to tell her yet? Don't wait till the 10 year anniversary, don't wait after. She will look back and think that everything you did was a lie and it will crush her more. You may think letting her have her 10 year anniversary is the least you can do for her, but that may backfire. You'll be put through hell the entire anniversary...

Remember, you're not a douchebag coming out to her. You're doing her and yourself a favor by doing so. It may seem hard and impossible right now, but when it's finally done, you will feel as if the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders. The outcome may not be pretty, but just know that you're headed in the right direction, and the future can only get better. Do keep in touch with your children though.

5. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's good you are thinking about all of the possible outcomes, but no matter which one happens it is going to be rough and I think you are very wise to hesitate from taking this leap. Have you tried everything to save your marriage? You may also wish to gather as much information as you can about what life is like for gay men ... it sounds like you may be idealizing it. Have you considered that you might not in fact find another partner soon or perhaps ever? Feeling like a douchebag may be a relatively smaller issue than others you are facing.

#5 justaguyinsf, Oct 22, 2016
  6. justrob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, justaguyinsf. I'm not sure what else I can do. My wife thinks I'm not particularly loving toward her because I work a lot, but of course that's not the reason. I'm not particularly loving toward her because I don't think I'm capable. I don't think I've ever had a fantasy that involved my wife, and I have never once been physically attracted to a woman (although I do a decent job of a acting like I'm into sex with my wife. The sex isn't terrible--just really emotionless for me, and getting harder to perform by the year.

I wish to God that there were a solution to this, but I just don't see one other than plodding along living the lie.

I'm interested to hear more about my possibly idealizing life as a gay man. I know there will be huge challenges, but it's true that I am assuming I will be happier as a gay man--is that not the point of this site is to convince people of that?

7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll let the previous poster elaborate on why he feels that you are idealizing life as a gay man. He's entitled to his opinion; however, as someone who has made this transition successfully, I hope you may open yourself to the possibility that he is offering his perspective as someone who is still working through his transition. I can understand this, because there will be many challenges along the way as you navigate this transition. The possibility of an authentic life can seem like an ideal until you get there. I can assure you that if you identify as gay, you will be much happier living authentically as a gay man. This is not idealizing, this is accepting that love is love and much better when aligned with your true sexual orientation. I'm so much happier today as a gay man than I was stuck living in a faux lifestyle influenced heavily by childhood messages that being gay is wrong. I'm out and proud because of this site, and you too will get there if you believe :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

#7 SiennaFire, Oct 22, 2016
  8. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hear you justrob and feel for you and your situation. (I just noticed you are in SF as am I.) I was married for nine years and went through a divorce in SF Family Court that lasted for 10 years because my wife was really angry at me and threatened to remove our daughter from the state, etc. (Btw, the good family law attorneys in SF are charging I would guess about $500 per hour; I incurred $50,000+ in attorneys fees.) My divorce was prompted by issues other than my being attracted to guy (have never come out to her), but it was probably something that was in the mix that made the relationship become so toxic. Being in SF is to your advantage if you come out since it's obviously a gay-friendly place and the court staff have seen a lot of people in your situation. Not sure how it is in the suburbs if that's where you live.

Since the consequences of coming out in your situation can be very serious, and it is possible that your marriage is in a slump ("the seven-year itch") for reasons that include factors other than your sexuality, and there must have been something between you and your wife to have gotten this far I always think it is worth considering if you can save the marriage. In my particular situation things got so bad that I knew it was over, but had they not gotten that bad I would probably have stayed married.

I think you're right that the point of this site is to convince people that they will be happier coming out. I think whether that is true depends on many factors, including how important you think it is to make a public declaration about your sexuality and whether you need to do that to be your "true" self. I am not as convinced as others that these are more important than losing a family to divorce.

As for life as a gay man, I am attracted to masculine, mainstream (for lack of a better word), professional type guys. My experience has been that these guys are very hard to find and connect with. I think this is because the gay-male community emphasizes the more radical or outre elements (e.g., drag shows, mocking religion) and despite, all of the push for gay marriage, promiscuity (which I don't agree with, but that's another story). Additionally, it is my experience that there is a high level of mistrust, pain, and loneliness among gay men (Google whether gay men are their own worst enemies and you'll see some others who think this way). I think most gay men end up single for most of their lives, although they have a lot of friends (with whom they sometimes have sex) and tend to stick to their own crowd (no women allowed) at least in SF. That is not the life I pictured for myself, but I think it is the norm unfortunately. Of course, your experience and expectations would likely vary from mine. Anyhow, hopefully that is of some value to you.

9. justrob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Actually, I think our marriage and lives are great aside from my lack of affection and intimacy toward my wife. We get along great, our kids are great, we agree on 99% of parenting choices. It's not perfect, like I don't like how my wife plays the martyr a lot because she is such a perfectionist that she routinely drives herself into the ground and begrudges me for not helping her to achieve perfection more, but this is not a dealbreaker for me--it's an irritant, not a reason to break up the family. It's my intense yearning to be with a man that is the issue.

I spent the first 8 years of my marriage being numb to it and doing a great job acting like I was happy. But I just can't do it any more. My wife is so sweet, and every time she makes me lunch or takes care of me when I'm sick or buys my favorite cereal at the store, it fills me with guilt that I am not motivated to do acts of love for her, and of course she sees this and keeps giving it her all. I am not worthy of this dear woman whom I am not capable of fully loving.

10. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi justrob.

I sympathize deeply with your situation, particularly the guilt you feel about leaving your wife to fend for herself with the kids, while you go explore your gayness.

One thing I would strongly suggest is to think through the logistical and financial aspects of a separation/divorce before telling her anything. Make a plan that is feasible and takes into account everyone's best interests. Be as generous as possible in taking care of your family.

This will help you, too, as you will feel more confident telling her the news if you've got a plan in place.

I would also advise you to try to tell someone else first, ideally someone who knows you both so you can vent a bit and get an outside perspective.

As for Justaguy's comments, well, it's true that trying to live a gay life is no guarantee for happiness, and many of the stereotypes are at least partially true. But I don't think it's even about that.

It's about being honest -- with yourself and your wife and kids, no matter how painful. Right now you are living a lie, and that slowly destroys you psychologically and emotionally. You seem certain that you're gay, so you owe it to yourself and those around you to come out. Then you get to take your chances with life, just like everyone else.

The best advice I can give you, from my own experience, is to find a way to suspend your guilt, which will be enormous. Try to think of this revelation as a fact that is just an act of nature or something, like a tornado that wiped out your house, and now you both have to deal with it. If you believe are ruining the lives of everyone you love, it's going to be very hard to move forward.

Good luck, and keep posting.

11. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey justrob, for what it's worth I feel your struggle. Whatever you choose to do, just make sure you do it with as much good information, clear thinking, and emotional support as possible. You might want to check out the LGBT Center in SF for support groups or the Pacific Center in Berkeley, which also has groups with guys who are struggling with the same issues as you.

12. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Rob,

You've been getting lots of good advice here. I too share many of the same experiences as you.

I came out to my wife in mid-June. Like you, I was experiencing tremendous guilt for what I had done, that I had ignored and denied my homosexual desires and feelings, and allowed myself to marry a woman I didn't really love - at least not in the way that I needed to love her as her husband, and not in the way that she needed me to love her as my wife and life partner. Deep down I knew that I was really gay, even though I couldn't admit it, even though I couldn't even say the words "I'm gay" and even though I was capable of compartmentalizing my feelings.

I had a lot of guilt also for my denial. A lot of people think that denial means that you're not aware of being gay when you're in denial. The truth for me was that while in denial I still knew deep down that I was gay because I fantasized about guys when I masturbated, I downloaded and watched gay porn, I checked out guys that I saw and checked out their bulges, I daydreamed about kissing a beautiful man, and I longed for a gay life. I was able to compartmentalize all of that and ignore its importance, and I believed that it was my lifelong secret that would go with me to the grave.

It would help you to move forward if you could forgive yourself. That won't happen quickly or easily, but hopefully you can reach that point soon. It helps in the coming out process if you can leave behind your shame, guilt and fear. Coming out is scary enough without those negative emotions weighing you down. There are multiple aspects of shame, such as shame for being gay, shame for hiding your sexuality, shame for letting others down, shame for deceiving your wife, shame for getting married when you knew or should have known you are gay. Your guilt is over much of the same issues as shame, plus guilt for coming out, guilt for shaking up your kids' lives, and guilt for doing all of this because you long to be with a man. One of the more difficult things I had to let go of was my guilt for doing all of this because I need sex with a guy. It somehow always comes down to that.

If you still harbor the guilt and shame, you might want to work on those before deciding to come out. While not everyone is able or willing to wait until then, I can only tell you that it was extremely helpful to me in my coming out.

Please continue to read and share yourself with us here on EC. It really does help to connect with others who share your journey.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

13. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Theres absolutely no reason why your wife wont be able to move on and get a partner herself in the future. Just because a woman is a bit older, had 3 kids etc and her body isnt like a supermodels wont exclude her from dating.
    Also if she wants to she can go back to college and get a job etc and your children could go to state school. Shes not as stuck as you portray her to be,yes it will be hard for her but she will carve a new life out for herself. Shes not totally finished.
    I think as well that she will know about your sexuality, I've only had 1 proper boyfriend and he knew about me and he was bi and I also had that feeling about him before we discussed things.Its like a sixth sence I think,you just know.
    I also think your better off telling her now as opposed to further down the line like others have said and you will be able to sort things out regarding the children I'm sure.Even if she does move back home, you say your in a good job so you could afford to fly to see them.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First, I think its bullshit that anyone should have to feel like a douchebag for coming out (although I do understand not wanting to hurt those around us). If anything, that should go for someone who chooses not to act when they know the truth. The fact of the matter is that you have a smaller dating pool, are a member of an oppressed group, and have had to put up a charade, whereas she could at least say she was attracted to you, if not still.

Also, I'm not sure how healthy it would be to stick with someone for financial reasons alone. It already sounds like an unhealthy relationship, so maybe a split would be beneficial for both of you? I've noticed many LGBT folk let themselves get taken advantage of when in heterosexual relationships. I've heard some nasty stories after friends and acquaintances have come out to partners...

Many have even said they understand their exes better and get along like never before after coming out. They can view the other for who they are, instead of what they "should" be. If you were living in Saudi Arabia, my advice would be very different, but if and when you do make that leap, you should be in a decent position to start writing your own story.

15. justrob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, I went ahead and told her last night. We were both blubbery messes, but she doesn't hate me (yet)... I know the anger stage will prob come later.

Her primary concerns are exactly as I anticipated:
    1. How will she ever find a guy as good as me again (especially now that she's weighted down with 3 kids and 30 extra pounds), and
    2. How will she make it without my income, without work experience the past 8 years, and without a graduate degree.

I am doing everything I can to reassure her than I won't take away a single resource that she has today. Hell, I'm willing to live out of a van to be my authentic self, and she can keep the rest, including my future income.

She's also got a lot of baggage from her own parents' divorce, and she thinks I'm going to stop prioritizing her and our current family as soon as I find someone new. I just have to reassure her that won't happen.

She is just in so much pain and heartache today at the prospect of a broken family and the lost dream of us growing old together... I still can't help but feel like a douchebag for having promised her this for the past 9 years, and suddenly taking it all away in an instant.

But in spite of that, she's also being very understanding and loving... the intense combination of all these feelings of loss and love at the same time is almost too much for me to take. How could I be doing this to such a wonderful human being? I just f***ed up so bad in letting this happen in the first place.

#15 justrob, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  16. amomwhoknows

Can you move back to where she has the support she will need? Could you find employment there? One way to show that you care about her and your children is to prioritize some of her needs moving forward.

In California, it is difficult for one parent to move the children out of state but it isn't difficult for them to relocate to a different part of CA, which given the size of the state is similar to be in another state anyway.

And while you say you are willing to live out of a van, I doubt you mean it. Plus, when you get into a serious relationship, you may find that your new partner resents the non-court ordered assistance you are giving your wife and kids. (It happens, probably more than you realize.)

17. justrob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Fortunately for me, she doesn't want me living out of a van either. Moving back home is a terrible option career-wise for me because I earn about 2x here what I'd likely earn back home, plus the 7-figure upside of the unvested options I have... for everyone's economic sake, it def makes sense for me to stick it out in CA. At the very worst, I would just fly out to visit one long weekend per month, which would suck, but still may be the best option to ensure that my wife has the social support she needs.

I cannot fathom future partner going to battle with me over whatever spousal support I want to give unless I start mooching off him, which I don't plan to do. These are the kind of mixed-family conflicts I'm keen to avoid by screening future partners for this kind of thing.

18. amomwhoknows

The living out of a van is just an analogy of course. I realized that it seems premature to bring up future partners, but I work in family law and can't tell you how many times I see issues like the one I described, in second marriages.

No matter how angry she may get, and she likely will get angry, if you can find it in your soul to act from a place of compassion, it will do both of you good.

I don't believe that it is necessary to have a partner to be happy, but if you believe what you said about your wife being lonely, the kind thing to do is to let her move where she has support and family. To force her to stay where she has no support system, may be the height of cruelty. Just something to think about.

In the meantime, encourage her to do what she needs to to feel more secure. Getting her masters (with marital assets), consulting a nutritionist and/or trainer to get more fit (if she wants to) and developing interests of her own (while you watch the children.)

Remember you clearly feel you are moving towards something --- she won't feel the same way about her situation.

#18 amomwhoknows, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  19. Richie.

Guilt is a bitch you say it's a different scenario but the end result is the same.
    Well done on coming out.
    The next 12 months will likely be some of the roughest of your life but you will come through it lean on the forum for support

20. justrob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Update: a lot more crying and hugging, and the anger phase finally arrived. My offer to my wife to do "whatever it takes" to ease the transition on her is taking a form I didn't anticipate. We had agreed initially that I would move into our guest room until the end of our current lease (July 2017), but now she's asking me to stay here indefinitely AND to abstain from seeing or being with other men under any circumstances "until she's ready" to envision me with a new partner, which she estimates could be 1-3 years. This is distressing to me because I want start living my new life as soon as possible and I yearn to meet a great guy, but I also feel a little like an impatient child and that she may have a point. She has threatened to turn to a scorched earth approach if I don't cave to this demand.

I went ahead and signed us up for a counseling session this week, but I'm afraid she's already discounting the advice of any hypothetical counselor because she anticipates counselors here in the Bay Area will be too liberal and accepting of these kinds of LGBT issues and not empathetic enough toward our brand of conservative Catholicism. My wife is pretty good at sparring with mental health professionals too because she has undergrad degrees in psych and sociology from a top undergrad program.

I'm hoping that a little time will take the edge off, and maybe I can go on few low-key dates in a few months, or maybe press the issue at a later time when she's not so volatile and raw.