1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish I could be gay for a living...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Oct 24, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not in an illegal way, of course :slight_smile:

I just want to practice my sexuality all the damn time. I want to talk about what I feel toward other men, what I want to do with other men, what I want to feel emotionally and spiritually with other men, all of it. I hate that I feel like I have to suspend my sexuality from 8 to 5 every day. Does that make any sense? I don't like that I'm a nights-and-weekends gay guy. Or really, just a once-a-week gay guy, considering how often I actually hang out with other gay men.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL! crazydog15, that does make a lot of sense. While I'm not gay, I can certainly understand the sentiment and motivation. Besides making up for 'lost time', many of the guys that come out later have a renewed sense of self that they want to explore and 'proclaim' to the whole world. Even some of my oldest gay friends who have been out of the closet for pretty much their entire adult life still like to 'flaunt' their gayness. The oldest, who is 67, isn't the least bit shy about putting his gayness out there and in people's faces - not really annoyingly, mostly just proudly.

I think it's mostly about just being who you really ARE! And that's totally cool!

Take Care.:slight_smile:

#2 Quantumreality, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  3. faustian1

This is easy. Take a few business courses, quit your job, and become the proprietor of a gay bar. Problem solved. There are a lot of other gay-focused businesses. Marketers are really catching on that same-sex households have significantly higher disposable income on average than other households. They want to pick the fruit of that money tree. So can you.

4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is appropriate timing, because I was messaging with QuantumReality recently on this exact topic. I have a very strong desire to immerse myself in all things gay. I knew beforehand that this may result from coming out, but I didn't really get it until I totally felt that desire.

For me, one of the first things I wanted to do was get a tattoo of the pride flag even though I've never had a tattoo nor ever wanted one. But, boy, did I have the strongest desire to do it. I also really want to pierce my ears and wear earrings that anyone looking would know I was gay.

While I don't want to change my job to make money from "gay," I certainly understand the feelings of wanting to wrap myself in the pride flag and dance to Lada Gaga. :lol:

I didn't get the tattoo yet. I promised myself that if after one year of coming out and I still want a tattoo, then I 'll get one. I think I'll still do the earrings, I'm still deciding. Faustian's advice is a good one if you can manage it. That would do it.

#4 I'm gay, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  5. faustian1

I'm still laughing at the title of this thread, and for some reason I keep thinking of Stephen Fry...

6. CubbieBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ja! I like it. I kind of feel the same way when I'm not feeling bad about myself. I go through spurts. Lately, I've really been wanting to be proud. I don't want a tattoo or piercings, but I do want a rainbow flag patch for my H-D motorcycle vest! But that would out me pretty fast. Also something I've wanted to do lately. Come out to more people. Difficult because I'm married, but I want to stop going back and forth between wanting to be proud to being ashamed. But when I do feel good about myself, I definitely feel better and want more people to know. I want to act a little less "straight".

7. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if your sexuality only accounted for 1% of your personality, you could never feel 100% you if you feel that you have to hide it so I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to be gay at work.

What would be the sort of things you could do to be more gay at work?

Maybe if you make a list of things -even the tiny little things that hold you back- and then start by making big changes in the smallest areas, eventually you will only need to make small changes to affect the big issues.

If you don't think it's possible to ever be gay at work then you have a big decision ahead of you. Choosing between your career and your happiness isn't as easy as some make it out to be but with enough motivation you can hopefully eventually have both.

#7 Calf, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  8. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this about covers it. While my company does have an anti-discrimination policy that covers LGBT people, I'm not naive; a great many people who I work with will never, ever see a gay man as anything but a subhuman punchline. I will be ostracized, and I don't want that. I shouldn't have to trade my livelihood for being authentically me, but I guess life isn't fair. I often just hope everyone else I work with is somehow suffering, too.