1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What it is like to figure out your sexuality later in lifre

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Shasta, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    For those of you who didn't come out until later in life what was it like? For those who had kids and grandkids what is it like facing scrutiny from your own children?

2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've known I'm bisexual for 30 years, so there was no question there. The actual coming out process, to people beyond just my wife (who's known forever too), has been an adventure and unforgettable life journey that I would do again in a heartbeat. I was actually surprised that so many friends had no idea at all. A few had an inkling. I did surprise some people, though.

I'm happily married and monogamous, so coming out to my kids was no big deal to them, once we established that there were no changes to our family involved. It's just sharing more of who I am with them, and kids today are incredibly accepting of LGBT issues of all kinds. My kids are 13 and 9. If the situation did involve a change in the family or marriage, it would likely have been more significant.

That's my experience, but know that everybody's journey is different. I wish you strength and happiness in your journey!

#2 Adray, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my wife in June and my kids in late August. My kids don't care that I'm gay, and have been treating me exactly the same. It seems rather matter-of-fact to them and they don't attach any shame to it. My 12-year-old has taken it a little harder than my 16-year-old, but he's in middle school and that age is tough no matter what. My 12-year-old did tell me that he wished I had told him 2 years ago. I asked him why. He responded, "Because then I would be used to it now." Overall the reaction from my kids was great and much better than I had imagined it to be.

What's it like in general? I've gotten a mixed reaction from people that I've come out to. Some shocked, some just surprised, some didn't react hardly at all (usually younger people who are just so accepting anyway). A few were sort of confused because I'm older and they never imagined me as gay. No one was negative.

Your question is kinda broad and hard to answer effectively. I'd be happy to expand on specifics if I had an idea what particular areas would interest you in knowing about.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thrilling

exciting

scary

confusing

up lifting