1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wondered on down to ECs's: For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Oct 28, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Identifying what bothers me.

I wondered on down to ECs "For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People" and read some of the posts. Even commented a bit. What stopped me dead in my tracks was, there are moms who care about their gay teen sons and came to ECs seeking advice, answers.

I froze when I read posts by mothers of gay teen sons. I just couldn't believe moms would care enough to educate themselves about raising a gay son.

Yep there must be some baggage in my brain concerning how my mom treated me when a teen - non of directly in my face, just secondary disapproval. You know, body language can kill. Now to learn how to discard the baggage.

2. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, i had a whole train load of that baggage, the baggage is gone now, so is the train and, the tracks it ran on but, the scars on the landscape of my mind and soul are still there, faded but not gone - never will be.

You can drop the baggage, heal the wounds and, the scars do fade, but they are always there. Damaged forever but not broken.

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If we trace back through our lives to the origins of feelings of shame, disapproval, rejection, abandonment etc. we often find ourselves right back in childhood/adolescence, reflecting upon the relationships with our parents and siblings. It's in these delicate and formative years that certain needs may go unmet and we begin to take up unhealthy habits and patterns of behaviour that become entrenched and remain with us for years.

We should applaud and welcome the parents who come here for information, support and guidance, because their kids will hopefully grow up knowing they are loved and cared about, free from the baggage and dead weight that many of us know so well.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I blows me away that mom's care. Mine was so mad at me for she knew I was laying to her after I exhibited innate sexual desire towards another guy when I was 14. He was 14 too