1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right now I wish I could just take a pill...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by findingjoy, Nov 5, 2016.

1. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would make 100% certain I was gay and not turn back.
    I am so tired of fighting with myself. I know I am gay and I know I will really, really be happy when I find a guy to be with. The only time I am happy is when I imagine living fully as a gay guy, but I have spent the past few weeks in denial again.
    Sorry, just venting.

2. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    If I am correct, you wish you could take a pill and your emotions go away? I feel the same way to. I wish I could take a pill and bam all my feelings over my crush go away and she never enters my mind again.

3. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I want to be gay. I want to totally accept my sexuality and stop swinging back and forth and doubting and denying.

4. Sleeping Owl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the longest time I held out on coming out for hope that I would become straight. I get what you mean. It's better to just know the answer with 100% certainty and move on. That way you aren't stuck worrying about what could have been, and focus on being as happy as can be given what you have. Sometimes I'm still unsure if my coming out is being delayed by my desire to be "normal" or if I'm putting it off because I don't want to add drama to my family during a holiday or period of stress.

5. Darleen

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    There is no normal... :wink: Trust me. I fought with myself over this exact issue for years. Being Transgender... I fought with my female side for years. It caused tremendous undue stress, anxiety, anger... When I finally got the courage to shed my mask... Only then was I truly at peace.

6. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If only there was a test that determined your sexuality that everyone had to take. That would be so awesome.

7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is very simple. Stop indulging your doubts and start taking baby steps. You'll figure out your orientation a lot faster this way than by fretting over it. Would you rather just dip your toe in water or just dive right in?
    • Decide that you want to be gay.
    • Start meeting gay guys to create a network of gay friends and to start figuring out what you want in your guy.
    • Start taking baby steps towards your goals.
      • Start going to gay bars
      • Start going to LGBT meetups for activities that interest you.
      • Start going to a support group for people coming out later in life.
      • Start participating on hookup sites, even if just to chat and make friends.
      • Start participating on dating sites.
    • Learn how to challenge or ignore your doubts and just do it.
    Once you start acting gay on a regular and consistent basis, your confidence and certainty will increase.

#7 SiennaFire, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  8. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What if you don't want to be gay?

9. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fortunately the OP wants to be gay per his previous post.
    Unfortunately, you are a much tougher nut to crack because you don't want to be gay and are smart enough to effectively self sabotage but not wise enough to stop yourself.

My advice would be basically the same once we get past your resistance. It's a very simple process made complicated by the lies we tell ourselves. Once you peel away the lies, you will discover simplicity. Just be gay.

10. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

• Thanks SF as always insightful!
      It was hard for me to accept that I had sexual urges and fantasies about men which were 100X times more intense than any about a woman.

I accept that I had gay thoughts and finally that I wasn't a straight guy having gay thoughts and that I was actually a gay guy having gay thoughts.

We're immediately left with the comfort that we didn't chose are orientation. Its not our 'fault'. What is a little harder is to decide that I want to be gay. It's my choice, and I realize that I actually want to be gay.

I am not wishing I can take a pill and make my sexuality go away, i wish i could take a pill and make hesitancy go away.

---------- Post added 5th Nov 2016 at 07:50 PM ----------

I don't doubt my sexuality anymore I just get hesitant or, as you mentioned sabotage my progress.

11. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't need a pill to make the hesitancy go away. You have the power within you! Push yourself to do the uncomfortable by taking baby steps. You will build momentum and make the hesitancy go away.

FJ - What is causing you to be hesitant and sabotage your progress, if not your doubts?

#11 SiennaFire, Nov 5, 2016
  12. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it was tough to put a finger on but I think I figured it out.

• I look at women on the street. I have accepted that I am not sexually attracted to them but I admire their femininity. I don't think I am transgender but I am a little jealous. I think I would like to be a little more feminine.

• When I accept my sexuality, I feel incredibly happy. At first I just 'looked at parts' but as I accepted myself I started to imagine kissing a guy, sleeping together, snuggling and I get 100x times more excited than thinking about women. But then I try to imagine us walking down the street holding hands and I freak out. So its probably people knowing I am gay that scares me.

• Also recently a woman started flirting with me. I got excited started to think "oh i can fall in love with her' , but I realized I just liked the attention and I am just going to make both of us unhappy.

#12 findingjoy, Nov 5, 2016
  13. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are many gay men who feel similarly about women, although I am not one of them. It is common for men to become more effeminate after coming out, and I am one of them. It happens naturally as you start to engage with other gay men in the LGBT community. Why does this cause you to be hesitant and sabotage your progress?

Here's where baby steps can help. Focus on the private times (kissing, snuggling, and sleeping together). Holding hands in public is an advanced move because it is a very public declaration about your sexuality. This was tough even for me :slight_smile: I've held hands with an ex-BF in an LGBT-friendly urban setting no problem. Finding the courage to hold hands or show affection in public with my current BF closer to home in suburbia (like while grocery shopping) was a little more challenging until I made a conscious decision that my love for him is greater than any perceived fears of what people think.

You see this as one last fling with heterosexuality that causes you to cling to heterosexuality and stall your progress?

HTH

#13 SiennaFire, Nov 5, 2016
  14. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    we didn't have a fling, we just started to flirt but yes, I started to fool myself. I was only excited because she liked me, not because I was sexually attracted.

15. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, what's holding you back from going to a gay bar tonight?

16. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's good to know. You're right of course, I am worrying about what people will think and I haven't even gone on a date yet. But the private moments, I am definitely ready for those and just the thought of doing them makes me so excited and happy.

I have definitely changed a lot since first coming here. It's all taking longer than I thought but even when I first posted I would never have imagined myself happy about kissing and snuggling, I thought it was all lust, but accepting my sexuality is going to heart of who I am and how I will live.

---------- Post added 5th Nov 2016 at 09:37 PM ----------

you're right.... I am having a glass of wine now and mustering up the courage....

17. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just thinking about this, as i have said before, it seems like you know what I am thinking before I do- did you experience this?

Yeah, something tells me it's the last attempt to self sabotage. The internal debate isn't 'am I gay' anymore, the doubts are really just fear.

18. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't make it to a gay bar last night- I had to be up early today. But I was feeling pretty horny so I masturbated. In the past, when I was making progress coming out, I would not do this because after orgasm, I would go back into denial and the incredibly happy feeling of accepting my sexuality would go away.

I had the most intense vivid fantasy of my life, it was so real that I when I orgasmed I felt like my partner was there and I drifted off to sleep. I woke up this morning and I still have this happy, wonderful feeling that I am gay!

This is a huge step for me! I would get anxiety about masturbating because I knew my acceptance would go away after orgasming. I would almost plead to myself "just accept it", I would almost cry because after orgasming I'd go back to doubt and fighting with myself. But this morning I am not and its hard to explain but I feel I crossed a huge milestone.

19. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Regarding mindreading, I was married when I came out, so I experienced a different flavor of denial (I enjoy sex with my wife so I must not be gay). I've been on EC long enough to recognize you were doing something similar (trying to point to a reason why you're not gay), which is why I appear to have super human mindreading powers. In reality, I've already travelled the path you're on.

Regarding fear, the suggestions I made in #7 still apply. To reduce your fear, you need to break things into smaller baby steps so you can expand your comfort zone. Taking baby steps will reduce your fear because things won't seem as scary. You'll stop rationalizing and just start doing the things that you need to do in order to accept yourself and get over the fears of being gay.

---------- Post added 6th Nov 2016 at 01:57 PM ----------

This sounds like great progress. I would make a goal of either going to a gay bar or LGBT meetup this week AND chat with one or two guys online (either through a hookup or dating app, your choice). In all cases, all you need to do is chat as friends. No requirement to hookup or go out on a date unless you feel that you click. These activities are designed to get you to start engaging with the LGBT community.

At this point you control your own rate of acceptance by how hard you are willing to push yourself to do scary things that make you feel uncomfortable. Coming out at midlife is not easy; it requires hard work of pushing yourself to do things. Eventually it becomes easier and the things that you need to do become more fun (!).

Stick with it and keep on posting to EC and you'll have a BF in no time.

#19 SiennaFire, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  20. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! reading that is inspiring, I almost started to cry... I could have a BF!
    You're right that I need to keep posting on EC, not post and run away, until i am more comfortable. I am lot more comfortable with my sexuality now than when I started here, and probably the biggest shift was understanding i can only really be happy and intimate with a man... and then becoming incredibly happy about that!

But if I had just kept taking little baby steps I would be much further along that trying these big leaps every few weeks.

---------- Post added 6th Nov 2016 at 05:41 PM ----------

probably because i am worrying three steps ahead. It was not only that I am gay but I want to be 'taken' by a man.