1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of life can I lead?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by DaveWho, Nov 7, 2016.

1. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm struggling to find motivation to keep striving. After hiding for so many years, I find I don't know how to engage the world, now. So many interests at different times, and now I'm so depressed and seem incapable of accomplishing anything. I don't know what the point of this is but to whine. Sorry. I'm drunk again and don't have anyone I can talk to. Perhaps I should stop trying to fix my life and see a therapist? Idk. Sorry for drunk rambling ;-)
    Any advice regarding facing sexuality at older age and depression?

2. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Find a friend you can trust, even one online.

Never give up. A little lesson I learned from a friend, have fun every day, even if that is just for one minute, do something fun, just because you want to.

I know it's difficult to just be yourself and interact without worrying how others will take you but, if you do it, you'll find people that accept and like you for who you really are.

Work, hobbies, skills, your ability to make friends hasn't changed, you're still you, just more you now is all.

3. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks DAFriend for your response :slight_smile: I tried sending you a message but I think I'm too new. Anyway, what you said about just being yourself was especially insightful. I've spent most of my life obsessed with everyone else's reaction to every possible action, phrase, movement, etc. Do I even have time to dismantle these barriers I've spent so much energy building?

But I digress.

Know your reaching out has helped another tonight :slight_smile:

4. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that at 36, you're not old — you have decades of life still ahead of you. Don't look back; look forward. Find a good LGBT therapist and work with him/her.

5. Civiel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, find a therapist. There is no shame in seeing a therapist, and if you feel you need one, you need one. They can help you put things into perspective, especially if you're struggling with depression and the like.

6. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, guys. Are there any particular tips to finding a good LGBT therapist?

7. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may want to start with an online therapist. Google LGBT Friendly Therapist, some very affordable live, online ones are out there and, often they can refer you to one close to you for in person therapy.

Breaking down those walls is hard, don't try to do it all at once - baby steps.

8. nbd

nbd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't overemphasize the importance of finding an LGBT educated and supporting therapist. I have gotten to know myself better in five sessions with mine than with years talking to other Christian/mainstream therapists about my anxiety and depression. I found mine through Google, but you can also call your local LGBT center.

9. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DaveWho, how is it going?

a) Start an exercise routine. Even walking will help. Take water to drink so you do not get dehydrated. I recommend you exercise no less than 3 times a week, and no more than 5 times. 30 to 60 minutes each day.
    b) meditate or better yet find a meditation group.
    c) eat right. no junk food.
    d) get lots of sleep.
    e) see if you can cut back on the alcohol.

All of the above will buy you a little time. Take that time and find an LGBT groups. You need gay friends, go find them.

Hit my wall if you have any questions or concerns.

10. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow brainwashed, do you know me? lol! I suppose I've revealed something about myself in my post, but your advice is 100% necessary for me. Thanks!

And thank you to everyone else who takes time to offer help here :icon_bigg

11. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Others have already given great advice, I would encourage you to take it. At 36 you are still young, you can break down those barriers if you work at it.

I had depression for a very long time, once I accepted myself and worked on myself I am so much happier. I'm not 100% but who is?

I knew I was gay since I was a teen but never accepted it until I was 25, it took me a year but I am now happy with who I am and I am out to my family and the people who matter to me. You can do this too if you want it.

Having someone to talk with about your feelings is extremely important right now, even an online friend works great.

"I've spent most of my life obsessed with everyone else's reaction to every possible action, phrase, movement, etc. Do I even have time to dismantle these barriers I've spent so much energy building?"

I understand I did the same, and yes you do have time.

If you want to talk or need to vent hit up my wall.

12. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. TravelerMe

Ditto much of the above like brainwashed, Weston and others.

Find a friend you can trust, a therapist, a support group, tell your story here on EC and just keep talking, just keep talking. Just know so many will be there for you. Take your time; find time to nourish your body and soul with exercise and meditation. I've been working on the same issues as you for a while and patience and taking care of the present are essential. You are young; I've got a few years on you and I know I'm not too old; you are never too old to find the real you.

14. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You might also find beneficial following a philosophical or religious practice that you find meaningful.