1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused, depress, thinking of killing myself

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Nov 9, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG Trump won. I am going to barf. I just cant believe it. I guess one could say he's LGBT friendly, he's such a dick.

2. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I woke up and was so shocked, last night I knew that Hillary was gonna win.

Def don't kill yourself yet its too soon to tell.

I just came out and I sure as hell am not going back in the closet. I will fight for every right I have and more if I have to.

We are too strong now, they can never take our rights away.

3. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shocked me too but what was more surprising was the hate my friend and I got in an LGBT chat last night when we supported Clinton and I voted for her. (friend is not from US so could not vote.)

As for being strong, yes but, we lack the numbers, about 4% (and that's being generous) of our population is LGBTQ. We simply don't have the numbers to fight the government. We can try and, should but, ultimately, it depends on where you live as to whether that will succeed or not.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I'm not going to kill myself. I'm being silly. But I am so shocked. As one good friend put it to me this morning, "it's 1933 Nazi Germany all over again". And if you study Germany in the late 20s, the whole of 30s, you will see, the reasons are frighteningly similar.

#4 brainwashed, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  5. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please don't joke about suicide in these forums. There are people who really are despondent and really do need help. It's not a topic of jokes, and it creates an obstacle for those who are having real thoughts of suicide.

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, we've got a racist tangerine in charge of nuclear war weapons and apparently Indiana's escaped lab experiment is about to wreak havoc on civil rights for everyone. What a day to be alive.

Yeah, I'm a little more concerned with this idiot:

[​IMG]

Aside, they're both, well, ugh. fml.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are right Patrick7269, thank you. I did think long and hard about putting that in the title.

Kind of change of subject. Suicide is interesting and in my opinion should be talked about and thats why I put it in the title. Mainly so people can see there is an alternative.

I half expect moderators to soon take the post down.

---------- Post added 9th Nov 2016 at 08:57 AM ----------

Ah, gee, Hitler sent fags to conversion therapy too. It was a special little camp in the south east of Germany. The camp was named after a quaint German town which is nearby. Dachau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachau_concentration_camp

8. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear ya though!

I think if there's any consolation it's that the momentum that got Trump elected was mainly over economic division and the wealth gap, not over LGBT social issues. Trump did not campaign on homophobia, and I hope the American public is smarter than that by now after all the historic gains we've made. Knock on wood, I think the vast majority of Americans have turned a corner on LGBT rights.

Still, it's going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooong four years.

9. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To keep it in line with the Forum subject on "Later in Life" LGBT issues. The apparent resentment of rural whites to urban dwellers and minorities does not make it any easier to subject yourself to exposure when coming out. This may be a matter of perception, but being gay, or bi, in rural America right now is a different landscape than the cities. I am afraid anything that amplifies those differences is, potentially, harmful to the LGBT community.

I know, I woke in the middle of the night worrying about a gay sibling in the Dakotas. It has been so difficult for her and she had finally started to find a sense of acceptance in the wider community. I hope this election doesn't thwart her progress.

10. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's my very pessimistic opinion at this time, putting Donald into the Oval Office, will be a lose for LGBT rights. LGBT people will have to go war (not literally) to keep what they have today.

11. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's my very pessimistic opinion at this time, putting Donald into the Oval Office, will be a lose for LGBT rights. LGBT people will have to go war (not literally) to keep what they have today.

12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

13. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dude, you thread title did freak me out for a sec :eek:
    While I'm disgusted by the character of the man and his campaign, I don't quite understand why there is so much fear about LGBT issues particularly. My biggest fear is he will prove to be incapable of being a non-ass on the world stage. At this point, now that he's been elected, I hope he will be able to tone down the troll-speak.

14. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up in Iowa, and both parents come from conservative backgrounds. I've seen a LOT of homophobia from my family, and I'm the only one that's significantly liberal. As a middle-age gay man I feel the wear and tear more than the miles.

To keep this within the topic of the forum, I think that coming out in white, rural America is still hard even today, and regardless of age. Unfortunately we have a legacy in this country of being suspicious of difference while at the same time being a country of "rugged individualists". We are full of hypocrisy and contradiction as Americans. However, we also surprise ourselves in good ways too.

It's not that I'm not concerned about LGBT rights in the coming Trump administration - I am. I'm actually more concerned about even worse things that someone of his pedigree can either do or fail to do. We didn't just betray LGBT folks yesterday, we literally elected a misogynistic, mocking, narrow, greedy, misanthrop to the highest office in the land - largely in the name of money. So many evangelical Christians put aside his significant character flaws, his foul language, his (this list could go on) - all for some idea of economic opportunity and materialism. We sold out a lot of folks last night, and LGBT folk were just a few.

Last night was disappointing for many LGBT - but - I am in charge of my life, and I decide what to make of things. I am not a victim. I'm just as gay, just as awesome, and just as lucky as I would have been otherwise.

Today my family is accepting, my high school classmates couldn't care less that I'm gay, and Iowa (yes Iowa) approved gay marriage long before Washington State, where I currently live. I could have gotten married in my hometown, amidst the blue collar jobs and cornfields, before I could in Seattle, amidst the gay bars and endless gay social scene.

My point is this - with age comes wisdom, and an ability to just "be" - regardless of the emotional weather. Coming out is sacred and being gay is special because it is difficult. In an ironic way, we're special because we've dealt with adversity - and we actually have some gifts because of it.

With Reagan came a blind eye to the AIDS epidemic. With Clinton came "Don't Ask Don't Tell". With Bush came initiatives to ban gay marriage. With Obama we got the right to marry, and much of the country turned a corner. Those of us who are old enough recognize that we've been through quite a lot politically, and Trump won't diminish us.

We are so much stronger than any administration, any ideology, and fear, and any hate. We are stronger simply because we choose to be.

15. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Patrick

Great post!

16. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Patric7269, great post. I need a cigarette, and I don't even smoke. (thats my way of saying, very emotional)

17. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! Sorry if I come across preachy; I tend to take this stuff pretty seriously. I'm going through some catharsis or something.

18. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you don't mind, can I cut and paste this for my brother? It is really excellent. I have two gay brothers and a gay sister. I am not out to them...complicated. But, we had a family text fest today over the Trump victory and there was lots of crying and feelings of despair expressed.

Thanks

---------- Post added 9th Nov 2016 at 05:12 PM ----------

Oops. that may be against forum rules...no problem.

19. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno, Patrick, I'm not feeling very wise at the moment. Perhaps it's too soon. I'm pretty well set up financially right now, but that could all change in a moment, depending on what happens to health care in this country. I worry about people with serious health issues — not just gay people, but yes, them too — who could die because of what the republican party is poised to do. People living with HIV will now have "preexisting conditions" and could easily have their meds cut off. The worst thing is knowing that half of all our fellow citizens wouldn't shed a tear.

The rest of your post is inspiring, and I thank you for it. Up until yesterday, I had quite a few plans in the works — to build a new house, start a new relationship, get on with my life — but that's all now on hold. Hopefully, I will regain my enthusiasm, but right now I just want to stay in bed and pull the covers over me.

20. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone