1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The book, Farm Boys by Will Fellows, and a jig saw puzzle

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Nov 13, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm reading the book Farm Boys by Will Fellows. I'm taking my time with the book, highlighting pertinent parts, writing notes on the side of the page from time to time.

I stopped and reflected last night while reading.
    ---
    Reading this book is like searching for that one piece while putting a jigsaw puzzle together. You know, that one piece that has a certain color and shape. There are hundreds of puzzle pieces on the table and you are looking for that one piece. Then you see it and you say, "thats it."
    ---

From the book, pg 18
    This invisibility of homosexuality is not unique to farm communities, but is was probably enhanced by isolation, religious conservatism, and sexual prudishness.

My reflection: When a kid, I never knew anything about homosexuality. I did hear the word "faggot" indiscriminately thrown out in the lock room from time to time, but non of the dictionaries in my middle school had the word defined.

Free Jigsaw Puzzles - Jigsaw Puzzle Games at TheJigsawPuzzles.com - Play Free Online Jigsaw Puzzles

#1 brainwashed, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. KSatt

You've made a very astute observation. I'm from a small, rural area, and I'm not sure at what point I really found out what "gay" or "fag" meant even though they were words I heard thrown around. All I knew was that whatever gay was, it was bad. Having that notion of "bad" with no real concept of why has lead to so much shame and fear. That's something I continue to deal with. Just when I think I'm past it, it will crop up again. Most days I am past those old fears and that shame of before, and then suddenly it will hit out of nowhere and I'll have to fight like hell to remind myself that all that hatefulness I heard as a young person(and sometimes still hear) is nothing but lies.

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very good comments, KSatt. Thanks. Yep I really heard nothing about homosexuality from 0 to 14 years of my life. Not a clue.

Man the book is good. Why? Because its testimonials by actual farm kids.

Even though you are a women, the book would still apply to you for the stories cover a lot about family interactions. Also about society and their views on gay people.

Later

4. KSatt

I may have to check out the book; it sounds pretty cool. I'm a bit of a bookworm and am always looking for a good read. Thanks