1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerves!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Unpaused, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Unpaused

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi everybody! :slight_smile:

I've read some stuff on here for the last 5 years or so from time to time, so thanks. It feels kind of weird to be asking for advice now I've got things figured out but I'm rubbish at asking for help and reading other people's posts helped back then.

I'm a bi guy, late 20s... and I've got a first date!

Not just first with this guy, or first with a guy, but first.

It's just going for a quiet drink, but I'm so nervous about getting it 'right' and kind of guilty about not knowing what I'm doing...

2. PCM

PCM

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello Unpaused! You didn't actually ask a question but you do appear to be asking for advice about how to handle your first ever date, right? Was it last night or is it still in the future?

If it was last night, well, how did it go? If it's still in the future and you are looking for advice, the first thing I would say is to drop the guilt! No reason for it and you don't need to apologize for the first time you ever do anything, no matter how old you are.

Heck, this may be the first time your date ever dated anyone on their first date, so the pressure to act appropriately is on him, if anything!

Have you ever just had a drink with a male co-worker? Did you perhaps share some interesting conversation, trade stories and generally enjoy the time together? If so, I would go into this date with that experience in mind and not expect anything more - of either of you. If you like each other and feel comfortable in each others presence by the end of the date, then you can decide to meet again - or not.

If either of you decide to not meet again for any number of reasons, it doesn't mean the date is a failure. It just means you learn a bit more about yourself and who you are looking for. It doesn't have to be your "soul mate" or even a person you become romantically involved with for a short or long time. But he might end up being a friend and we can all use more friends! Besides, friends can introduce us to other friends. :slight_smile:

So I guess my advice would be to go on the date hoping to potentially make a new friend, if possible, and leave the "Great Expectations" at the door! :icon_bigg

Good luck!
    Pat