1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally came out at the police force...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Jerry36, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Jerry36

I ve posted about this in another thread but this deserves a new one i think...

With many thanks to gaydeputy who seems like a confident cool cop and made me feel like a sissy. So i had to toughen up a bit..

I told my direct partner during our break. I was apprehensive about his reaction to say the least. His reaction was a bit weird but at that time i was too stressed out to notice. He was almost too supportive and cool about it. At night he texted me that he was taken of guard, he felt overwhelmed and didnt see it coming but He was proud of me that i told him and he has my back .

The next day i told my chef. He was very cool about it and wanted to help me tell the others. I told him that i appreciated it but i would do it my way. My plan was to tell a coworker and gossip should go from there but the right opportunity didnt arise. Then we had a diner with our whole team, except my partner whi was enjoying his holiday. I didnt want to bring it up there during that diner as a group is stressful to come out to and it didnt feel like the right place nor time but it just happened sort of. A coworker asked me if i had a girlfriend. Apperantly such a question attracked the attention of the whole table because of the loud voice of the oerson asking. I just couldnt go back and lie or just say no. I knew in a second that this will be the moment i was dreading for so long which made me feel like i was going to pass out. i then just said that i Wasnt dating anyone special and that i liked guys more then Women.

Absolute silence...,I am talking about a group of people of 20. It felt horrible. Then a guy next to me patted me on the back saying good for you. Some Coworkers kissed and hugged me, even guys. Afterwards i was told i looked beaten when i came out and that they hugged me for support, not because i was gay. They couldnt care less and like me for who i am.

The weirdest part is that i didnt feel relieve, i felt horrible when i told them, as in a bit inferior and very insecure. That has subsided a bit by now but still.

In hindsight i made a problem so much bigger than it is...but this step had to be taken in order to go further in life. By letting others know who you are you are accepting yourself more and more.

Next week i see my coworkers again in our usual setting after that diner but i am confident everything will be the same, maybe even better..

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations Jerry36!:thumbsup: That was a very brave thing to do. It sounds like you recognized an opportunity, steeled yourself and went for it!

We almost always create Coming Out scenarios to be much bigger deals in our minds than is usually the result when we actually do Come Out to someone.

Now you can be fully open and honest with your coworkers. That should make things that much easier and strengthen your friendship bonds.:slight_smile:

3. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jerry, that is AWESOME!

You are a brave man, and you did great. I'm very happy for you, and you have given me inspiration. My workplace is the last place I'm not out.

Now you can be the real you. It will become a great new normal for you. Congratulations!

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It takes absolute, undiluted guts to do what you did, you should be massively proud of this, really proud, you did more than you can appreciate, you demonstrated incredible courage, you are a credit to the badge you wear. Good for you! :thumbsup:

5. Linkmaste

As someone who wants to go into a police force this gives me so much hope. Seriously I hope they stick up for you. I think you got huge balls for talking to the Chief too.

6. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That took courage man, Congratulations! Coming out at a dinner table full of cops OMG I can't imagine the stress. You are seriously brave.

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    your going to look back on that moment and realize it was the perfect time to tell everyone! I did something similar when I was out with my workmates over drinks. Like you, i was apprehensive and nervous. Its been four years since that discussion and I still work just as closely with the group then as I do today.

Digest the evening. Let it sink in. You made yourself vulnerable and your all the better for it!

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's a weird feeling isn't it? I did something similar after the Orlando attacks. a bunch of us at work were in having a meal and people were talking a bunch of ignorance and I got upset. when someone looked and said "why is it such a big deal to you?" I blurted out, "That's my Community that was attacked....." silence..... and im thinking.. 'what the F* did I just do....." but it's all good, no hassels but one offensive email that I got CC'd on.

9. CharacterStudy

Bloody hell, that's quite a way to come out! Well done, serious guts.

10. zeroth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your story made my eyes water and I got a lump in my throat.

You're an inspiration.

11. Gay Deputy

I am extremely proud of (for what it's worth) and am extremely happy for you! That's a great feat and you conquered it! I'm so glad it all worked out and that your coworker's are supportive. We, in blue, are a family and we should be there for each other as a family! This is a new beginning and I hope you are enjoying the feeling of freedom. I'm so proud of you, I'm getting writer's block hahaha man this is great! Keep the jokes going and before long it'll be natural for everyone. I am so so so happy for you!!! Great job sir!

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2016 at 06:16 AM ----------

Although, please do not allow it to make you feel inferior. That's bullsh**! You were a great officer before and you will continue to be! Nothing has changed! You sir, are a great man who dug deep, found the courage, and came out in a profession dominated by type A personalities. That should embolden you! Bask in it. The more natural and at ease you act...the more they will! You've got this! Again, I'm truly proud and happy for you!

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2016 at 06:19 AM ----------

And I have to apologize....my intent was never to make you feel like a "sissy." I humbly apologize if I did so. Trust me brother, I was scared shitless when I came out.

Hell, you were braver than I was! I came out in a FB post and you came out eye to eye, face to face! That sir, is balls of steel strength!