1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone in Colorado Advice

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by FalconBlueSky00, Nov 27, 2016.

1. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks to Adray I really started looking at moving to Colorado. I really like EVERYTHING I see about the Denver area. I really like Denver specifically, but dang it's pricey to buy a house/condo there in a good neighborhood. I'm going to try to get a job at USPS and I would like to look at the Denver suburbs as well so I would still have access to the public transportation since it seems to all be very connected.

Which suburbs in the Denver area do you think would be LGBT friendly? I will have my niece who is MtF Transgender staying with me some too, and I want to live in a place where she won't be harassed and feels safe.

At the same time the more places I can apply to USPS the better for job hunting. Any ideas/ suggestions?

2. YeahpIdk

Ask those questions to Google with City-Data in it. A lot usually comes up.

3. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did ask city data/ google. I think I googled myself out. The thing is I get some conflicting information. It seems like the social/ political climate has made a rapid shift there since the early 2000's. Some people say stick to central Denver, from Cap Hill to Stapleton. Then others say anywhere in Colorado is fine except Colorado Springs, but a few people like it there too. I'd really like to talk to someone who is LGBT, and goes outside of Denver every once in a while. Plus I know there are others on EC contemplating a move and I thought it would be nice for the archive. I think I'll post something similar in the chit chat forum as well. Thank you for your response. I'll update this post if I find out any good info.

4. Really

I wonder if searching meetup in the area or LGBT centres or FB groups, if there are such things, might give some indication of the LGBT culture around there. Or any other resources you think you might like to be able to use? E.g. Does the resource centre offer drop-ins or host activities/events?

Is there a nationwide liveability index you could look up?

Just a thought.

5. YeahpIdk

Really's got good ideas up there.

I'd also add that when you find an LGBTQ center in CO, especially in Denver, ask someone these questions. That could be helpful. I bet they'd be happy to help.

6. AngieT

AngieT Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Denver is a "good" city, but prices have definitely skyrocketed in the past 4 or 5 years. When I left in 2012 I paid $535 for my studio. Today that studio rents for almost $1k.

That said, Denver has a lot of things to do, but admittedly I have little experience there in dealing with the LGBT community. In my opinion, if you're going to pay inflated prices to live, and want a LGBT friendly community that is tech savvy, Seattle, WA or Portland, OR are much better choices.

7. NotMyName

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want easy access to locations with a high density of LGBTQ folks, you should aim for central Denver. That area has a lot of LGBTQ specific activities. However, if you're just looking for a friendly area, I haven't really noticed anywhere that seemed particularly hostile. I live north of Denver, in Broomfield, a suburb about halfway between Boulder and Denver. While it's not particularly cheap, it seems to be where aging hipsters from Boulder move when they settle down to have families. I only recently came out, so I don't have much to do with the LGBTQ community. However, the general liberalness and acceptance level of the area contributed to me becoming comfortable with who I am. It's very much the suburbs, though, so while people are accepting there isn't a large amount of LGBTQ activities without driving a ways.

You should contact The Center (GLBTColorado.org), to get better resources and references for the area. Their website is terrible, but if you call them they've got some great staff.

8. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Really, that's a good suggestion. Thank you also AngieT, I heard the prices were going up, but that is impressive.