1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking the next step

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by canadian, Dec 14, 2016.

1. canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've come out to a few people in my life and continue to do so when I feel the time is right. I'm also starting to feel a lot more calm/comfortable talking about it with certain people. Basically, I've taken the right steps to accept the fact that I'm not straight within myself & with the people closest to me. Now I feel like I'm in a weird place and don't know how to take the next step aka actually start dating! I'm quite nervous about online dating because I feel like it's very forced and I just cant see myself being comfortable enough to do it. No judgement AT ALL to anyone-- in fact, I WISH I was comfortable with the thought of meeting someone online. I just don't think it's my personality type.

I think it's also hard because I have literally zero experience with women (dating, physically, you name it) so I don't think someone who is online looking for a potential relationship would be too keen to take on a "project" like me, if you know what I mean. The only way I could see someone being okay with it is if happen to meet and have feelings for each other; then they'll feel a connection and see that I might be worth a shot. I can't see someone who is unsure if there's even a connection thinking it would be worth it to start something with someone like me.

Basically, to those of you who came out later in life, how did you take the first step to actually start dating? How did you meet someone? It seems so hard and my desire to meet someone and have a true connection is getting stronger and stronger. It's funny how much has changed within myself in the last few months. I just feel like I'm missing something...

Help? Advice? Please :slight_smile:

2. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Canadian!

Well done on coming out to more people and getting more comfortable with yourself, I think getting more comfortable with yourself may actually be the most important step :slight_smile:

I get what your saying about online dating, I've personally never done it (although would give it a shot if I was single now) but you can't tell online if you'll have chemistry with someone irl.

Do you have a local LGBT centre you could go to? Or are there any LGBT meet ups? Or alternatively could you join an LGBT friendly activity or sport? Something like roller derby? Could be a good way to meet gay friends and potential partners?

3. canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do live just outside of Toronto so I'm sure there are LGBT groups. There is one in particular that I've looked into but I guess I just need to bite the bullet and actually join. It just seems so daunting.... I don't want to be out there desperately trying to find someone. I'm sure that doesn't really work out for anyone haha.

I'm nervous due to the fact that I've never dated a woman (and barely any men, TBH). It may be a turnoff for someone who has been out since their teenage years. I think I'm in that weird place between realizing/admitting who I am and actually living that life. It may have been easier living in limbo because now I really want a relationship.

4. Luana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I did not have any LGBTQ option in my community, and if I come out here I would probably be without a job, so online was the option. I tried to find communities within several hundred miles but still stuck out. I "run" into a couple of woman that where negative on a women virgin. I had come to conclusion I would not be truthful about my experience, I would not lie but I would not state it. In other relationships it is not typical to state you sexual experience within the first couple of sentences when talking.
    Being older, I did know what I want in a mate, so I started using those attributes in my online profile and searching their profiles with that in mind. I found a women that has many similar objectives and wants for life. She sniffed out that I had zero experience. I felt I had to tell because it was only fair to both of us. She has been very supportive and encouraging. She helped me come out to a family member, and understands the need to do it on my time line. So you will run into some uptight people, but also there are some gems out there....

5. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, this hits soooo close to home. I feel exactly the same way on all fronts! :confused: I've never really dated before and I'm still pretty new to this whole "I like women" thing, so I don't even know where to start. I feel like if I could just meet people, the rest would come easily to me... That's a big part of why I joined this forum. :icon_razz

6. canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You make some good points. It is funny that I would never feel the need to share my past sexual experiences on a first date with a man but for some reason I feel like it's a huge secret to keep from a woman. I guess because I don't want to mislead.. but mostly it's probably because I feel SO self conscious about it. I constantly worry about it; whether it's just that I haven't been on a date with a woman or kissed or slept with, it all worries me.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I guess if there's a true connection maybe my lack of experience won't matter to her... now it's just the matter of actually finding her.

---------- Post added 18th Dec 2016 at 02:54 AM ----------

This forum really is great. It's crazy how many people can relate. I'm hoping that I'll be able to actually start living the life I want soon because it's getter harder and harder to just keep living the way I have been. Some days I feel hopeful and some days it seems impossible.

Back when I was lying to myself about being straight (you know, like earlier this year :badgrin:slight_smile: I think I felt much more hopeless than I do now. Every day I said to myself "I'm going to die alone. I will never find anyone to love." At least now I feel like there's a slight chance I'll be lucky enough to find someone I love and am attracted to. This next step just seems very difficult.... but we aren't the first ones to do it, right?! So, here's to both (and ALL) of us trying to find happiness!

I'm happy we have each other here at EC to lean on :slight_smile:

7. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely! :grin: I love your attitude. I think "we aren't the first ones to find love" should become my mantra. :icon_wink I really am happy I found this community!

8. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i'm in the same boat! I link it so much to being like getting a job, you can't get a job without experience, but how do you get that initial experience. I had identified as heterosexual until a couple years ago and had a handful of relationships with men, but have realized that I have been very repressed and think it makes a lot of sense that I'd be more interested in women, just didn't recognize it earlier. This has made it very hard for me to come out, because I'm afraid to say that i'm a lesbian without having any experience, but being in the closet is upsetting and not going to help me find someone to date. I've tried some online dating sites, but feel like most people close to my age (30) turn away at the thought of a woman who has no experience with women. I did join a meet-up group when I first started questioning my sexuality, which definitely made me feel more at ease and seemed to help me confirm that I felt much more comfortable identifying as a lesbian than I ever did as straight.

I really want to come out to one of my co-workers, a female who is in a relationship with another female co-worker, as she also has previously identified as straight and now id's as pan, but I don't know how to bring it up and no one seems to have any clue.

Anyways sorry i don't have any more advice for you, but I can definitely relate and am happy to talk more about our experiences :slight_smile:

9. canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. I never thought of it being like the job experience conundrum but it's so true! Thanks for sharing your experience; although I wish you weren't going through the same thing as me, it is reassuring that I'm not the only one worried about experience.

Do you find it's something that constantly worries you? Like you'll meet someone you have a connection with and it'll scare her away? I feel like that definitely worries me (as I said) but I'm just as worried about never finding anyone at all! Why can't I have a "meet cute" like in the movies?! :badgrin:

You should definitely confide in your co-worker. It might help you just to have someone in "real life" to talk to. Oh, how I wish people here on EC were friends in the real world. I do have gay friends though but I'm the only one who has taken so long to "figure it out." I've only confided in two of them but haven't talked much about it since.

Maybe being behind a screen helps us shed our inhibitions. But, I say if you have a chance to have a face-to-face conversation with someone who has been through it before, try and go for it. Are you ever in a casual setting with her? Maybe you should suggest going out for an informal lunch one day. I know it's easier said than done but you'll probably feel a lot better afterwards. Who knows, maybe she'll introduce you to a new group of people :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Dec 2016 at 01:04 AM ----------

That does sound like a good mantra! I think I'm much better at giving advice to others... I should probably start taking my own advice :badgrin:

10. wrhinla

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I completely get it about dating, etc. I'm in the same boat. I don't want to take the next big step with someone I meet online. Nor do I feel comfortable going alone to bars and clubs. That world is just not me. So I keep wondering how I'm going to find a way to be completely myself, which is to say an openly gay version of who I otherwise am and have always been.

11. canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel the same way about bars; I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable trying to "pick someone up" or whatever. I don't think that's the environment for me! That's a great way to put it: being an openly gay version of who I other am and have always been. I love that.

12. Linkmaste

I'm not sure how far "outside" Toronto you are but I'm in Hamilton and there is a meet up group for lesbian women and most of them are 30+ and really nice. I had a good time and I'm going out with them tonight.

That being said I'm not interested in dating or relationships but being in a group like this helps my affirmation and kind of "normalizes" being gay. It helps a lot for me.

I hope you find someone to go out on a date with! It seems all the lesbians my age are in super serious relationships. Oh well, single life for me and I'm okay with that.

13. canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A meetup group still does make me nervous but that's only because it's with people I don't fully know-- but I guess that's the point! I'm about 30mins north of Toronto so, not TOO far from Hamilton.

I don't necessarily "need" to be in a relationship (after all, I've survived thus far without one) but it would be nice. I'm not looking to be with someone just for the sake of being with someone; I'd like it to be a strong connection, obviously. I have quite a few gay friends and they're all in serious relationships. They don't all know about me but for some reason I don't feel quite ready to tell everyone yet. I want to branch out of the same old group so I can fully be myself without any preconceived notions. Sooo, basically a meetup group would probably be perfect :lol:

14. Linkmaste

Honestly I know where you're coming from. I was a little nervous but once I came in to meet everyone (both times it was a coffee outing where we chill at at Williams), everyone was excited and friendly. Right now they love picking my brain on law and the steel politics in Hamilton since I know a lot of what's going on.

It's good to be comfortable first when you come out. Don't let anyone but you make the final call. I know what it's like when you're not ready and someone forces you out. It really sucks.

15. micheline

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Love how you call yourself a "project" :slight_smile: This is exactly how I feel. I've only just recently realized I'm a lesbian, and am still married to a man who I have not yet come out to. I can't help but think who would ever be interested in 30-year-old completely inexperienced lesbian with a husband and an 2-year-old son. Talk about baggage. For the record, I have no intentions of cheating on my husband. I'll have to come out to him first before I even thinking about starting to talk to someone else.

For the record, I think a meetup group is probably your best bet. Even if you don't meet a possible date there, developing a network to meet other people seems wise. I'm such an introvert, but I am going to force myself to attend one in the new year.

Also, what about volunteering? I'm thinking something along the lines of a women's shelter, something with a feminist focus, or a sexual assault victim services organization.

16. Linkmaste

I was almost in the same boat as you. 24 married, in closet from him but no children. Rest assured there is always someone for someone. I finally came out to my husband and he's been super supportive so far. It sucks yes but it's better than bottling it up and really really cringe sex where I try to finish him asap.

Volunteer is a great idea too! I havn't found a place that's solely focused on lgbtq but like above, there must be some common organizations. Meetup would torally have an idea on that

17. micheline

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Linkemaste, do you mind me asking how your husband took the news? I'm somewhat petrified of coming out to him; I hate the idea of breaking his heart. We've been through quite a bit and it seems as though things have finally settled down. What does the future look like for you two? If I am prying too much please tell me to mind my own business.

18. canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I think I'll really have to just join some meetup groups. I signed up for some LGBT groups (mainly lesbian groups) via Meetup a few days ago but now it's just a matter of going. I do have some social anxiety but I also have an extremely outgoing side. It's funny because I'm a singer/songwriter and I frequently perform in front of crowds and feel completely comfortable. I've even recently gotten into acting & comedy; but the thought of a meetup makes me very nervous. Probably because it's new, I'm not very "out" and I do have an insecent need for people to like/accept me. Social anxiety is the worst.

Anyways, I just have to do it otherwise I'll likely be stuck in this same position a year from now! Volunteering is a great idea, as well.

Perhaps Meetups will work for you? I know your situation is much more complicated considering your marriage but I think everyone deserves to be happy. I used to say that I would just get married, have a couple kids then get divorced (not realizing that there was something weird about the fact that I was already ready to divorce my future husband without having met him. Now I know why... I don't want a husband, I want a relationship with a woman!) I'm glad I didn't do that now but still wish I would have realized/accepted the fact that I'm gay when I was a teenager. But I will tell you that I personally know women in their 30s who were married to men who ended up falling in love with another woman/realizing they were gay. So, there is DEFINITELY hope for you!!

19. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just a couple of thoughts on online dating. I'm one of those people who would swear she'd never do it but as I began to realise that it's very very likely that I'm a lesbian, at the age of 41, I thought, feck it, why not? I don't know the gay scene in my city and I don't have a cirle of female friends who can introduce me to the scene, I don't necessarily feel comfortable, yet, going into a gay bar and chatting women up. Online dating was one of the few options available to me and I have to say that it's worked out pretty well so far. I haven't come across any nutters and I've met a couple of people in person as a result. One of these I have met five or six times, once in her place for dinner, and we are in contact by text pretty much every day. I don't know if anything will come of this, I hope it will, we seem to like each other a lot, five months later we'd hardly still be in touch otherwise although I suspect that she might be like me and is just going through the process of understanding if she's a lesbian. She may suspect the same about me and this may be the reason why things are moving quite slowly, in my eyes at least. I want to kiss her every time we say goodbye but haven't got the courage yet...my new idea to broach the subject is to say, when she asks if I've made any New Year's resolutions....'To kiss you!'. Subtle eh?!

Anyway, my point is...I'm sure there are plenty of crazy people online but I genuinely haven't come across them, if I do, I walk away. The woman I like - we talked online for a month before we met, maybe five weeks, it was clear we had things in common, we both had a good sense of humour and that we would probably get along. I trust my judgement and it has worked out well. Meeting has always been very comfortable, very relaxed, it never felt false or fake and I'd look at online dating much more positively now as a result of my experience and not my preconceived ideas. The other woman I met in person...turned out we had a huge amount in common but there was no connection on my side, we could shoot the breeze about literature, art, food, politics, all the things I'm interested in but there were no feelings toward her on my side and I knew from shortly after we met. No bad feelings either though.

For me, I'm thrilled to be exploring my gay side, I want to take it to the next level, have an intimate relationship with a woman. I feel nothing only happiness since I acknowledged I might be a lesbian, no regret, no fear, that permanent grin is still sitting there and I'm just looking forward to the next step.

20. canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You bring up some very interesting and enlightening points in regards to online dating. May I ask, have you ever had a relationship with a woman? I'm just asking because the main reason I have anxiety about online dating (as I said) is the fact that I have zero experience; I think that will scare women off. I figure I'll be very in my own head due to the fact that online dating does come with expectations in terms of the relationship leading somewhere, whereas meeting someone in person in a more casual setting won't have those expectations right off the bat. Does that make sense?

I also did very briefly sign up for an online dating site (and I mean VERY briefly-- I deleted it within an hour). It actually freaked me out to browse the profiles. I think maybe it's because I feel like my past connections and attractions to women are so based on their vibe and that certain "je be sais quoi" and I didn't feel like a profile/picture was doing it for me. I was looking at the pictures and thinking "I am not into any of these women ." It actually made me question my sexuality again which is ridiculous because I know how I feel in "real life." I've had plenty of crushes on women and none on any guy since I was about 14.

But you do make it sound like it's not all bad. By the way, I am not putting anyone down who dates online. I'm actually jealous that you're so open! I see its benefits, for sure. I'm just curious about your experience level. I know you say you want an intimate relationship but a) have you had any issues with others if you are inexperienced in other ways (physically etc) or b) if you ARE experienced in any way, would you be open to someone who isn't? If you don't feel comfortable sharing, that's no problem :slight_smile: