1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An announcement, that unknown force that help me in check

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Dec 16, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Disclaimer: This post is intentionally vague so as to protect my identity.

As I continue to read Farm Boys, by Will Fellow, diving deep into testimonials by people my age (actually older than me), reflecting, these words kept coming up - I've known I was gay or I figure out I was gay, quite often these young men figured this out early in life.

So why didn't I figure it out? I was not as isolated as they. What is that GREAT inhibitor? I had a time line from my teen years captured in my journal. I know all the "things" that happened to me in my teens, including possible rape. But what great force held me back?

Death. (I will not elaborate) If I did not behave per "normal" social standards, I would have put my self in line to possibly being killed - or at least that is my perception in my teen years. (and that was a real possibility) (I am not embellishing to get your sympathy or attention.)

This very real threat kept me in check pretty much stating when I was 14.

#1 brainwashed, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Now don't be overthinking things. Everyone's life is different and everyone comes to different realizations at different times in their lives.

I have two people that are related to me, one is gay and the other I think is bi. One asked me once, after our grandmother died at over 100, why I never confided in her for she had a lot of gay friends and was accepting. Who would have thought?

3. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was a teenager there was domestic violence and lots of slurs toward gays. A family member committed physical violence toward me because he thought I might be gay.

Today I wonder why I live such a careful, timid life. I'm sure there's a connection.