1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does being gay have complications as an adult?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RainbowsFactory, Dec 22, 2016.

1. RainbowsFactory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am 16 and gay, and I was recently wondering if there are complications when you are a gay independent adult. (For example, finding work...) Also, I was wondering if some social situations would be awkward (say, you are invited at a friend's friend's house and you show up with your partner, would you feel nervous if the host is not accepting?)

Thank you! :slight_smile:

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it really depends on your location and your comfort level. I live in Chicago, I'm 45 and I don't really find that it presents any complications. On the other hand I know I'm relatively fortunate in that respect...

3. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    RainbowsFactory,

I'm 44 and I have had some complications from being gay. My family has struggled with it at times, but today they're accepting. My career has gone well, although at times I find I can't share as freely about my life at work as others do. At times I've struggled with my faith in God and how life works.

Getting older as a gay man depends so much on your personal outlook and circumstances. Some men are accepted by their family, friends, and coworkers and life is good. Others have more challenges. Personally, although I have had challenges I would never consider being in the closet. Living a life openly and feeling challenged is better to me than being rewarded and having social privilege for living a lie.

Patrick
    Seattle, WA

4. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It all depends on your circumstances. If you have a loving supportive family and group of friends, or an accepting work environment--there won't be any complications.

I am selectively out to members of my family (only out to immediate, and only my sis is supportive), and to one of my colleagues who I trusted enough to tell after almost a year.

To be honest, if you were invited to a friend's house and they weren't accepting of you or your partner, can you still call them a friend?

The great thing about being an adult, it's much more easier on who you want in your life and who you don't.