1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your holiday season?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Dec 26, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For a lot of us, the holidays carry a lot of emotion. For some of us, it could be the time when you feel lost in the closet, being around a bunch of people you love who don't know this part if you; or it could be you're coming out or have started coming out and that carries its own set of good/tough emotions; whatever your situation is, share here.

For myself, this is basically the last Christmas we'll spend as a family unit. So they carried its own unique emotions.

All in all, it hasn't been too bad. We've had some friction but also lots of loving moments. The holidays, I suppose aren't over until around New Year's day. But so far it's been warm and happy in many ways. And I think maybe it's giving me a greater sense of peace about the future. I feel like the love we have (myself and my soon to be ex) will last, even it changes over time. We'll always be a family, by our dynamic will change.

Tell me about your holidays? How's everyone holding up? Are things good, bad, combination?

---------- Post added 26th Dec 2016 at 12:59 AM ----------

*that carries

---------- Post added 26th Dec 2016 at 01:00 AM ----------

*but

2. Landgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I separated from my husband in November last year. We got together on Christmas Day to try and keep things the same for our son, but it went badly. My husband couldn't cope, and my son felt that the atmosphere was awkward, and so this year we didn't try it again.

I spent Christmas Day with my sister and her family. I cried a bit when I first got there, because it was my first Christmas Day apart from the others, but otherwise things went OK.

I am seeing my son later today. Things are a bit complicated, because he lives with my husband, who is still too upset to speak to me, after over a year has passed. So I can only see my son when his dad is out. My son will not come to me because he is on the autism spectrum and hates new situations. he may come one day, but it would be unhelpful for me to try and push him at this point in time.

This Christmas season has also been complicated by the fact that I moved into my new house just 3 days ago. Not the best of timing, but the whole house-buying process had been dragging along since August and was beset by a variety of problems, so I'm just glad to be in, despite all the chaos.

So to add to the first Christmas apart from my husband and son, the fact I have moved out of my temporary rented flat into my own permanent house signifies the point of no-going-back, the ultimate evidence that our marriage is over.

So all in all, it has been a tumultuous Christmas season so far!

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*) Big hugs, it sounds like a tough one for you. How old is your son? (if you're willing to share) i'm wondering how next year will go when we're in separate places.

You're moving forward, though and that's important. Congratulations on moving into your new house!

In time, your son will adjust. I know that it's tough in the meantime though.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Confused54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our family has been pretty low-key about Christmas for a long time. This year's gathering was very much the same as previous years, but with the addition of our first grandchild who was both Nov. 29. I'm sure it helps that my wife and I are being amazingly amicable as we go through divorce, our kids (both adults) are completely accepting, and my 93-year old mother-in-law is also accepting and wants me to continue as part of the extended family.

It was a little awkward for me when a man I've seen once called me on my cellphone Christmas eve and I stepped outside to take his call, wishing me Merry Christmas. His relationship with his ex and family is not nearly as good, so he was not spending Christmas with his family and sounded lonely.

Our paths are certainly all different. I feel blessed that mine is progressing as positively as it is. I had a good conversation with my older son, father of my granddaughter, during a walk in the snow together Christmas eve. Our talk included the difficulty of finding new friends and relationships as we get older (even for 30-somethings compared to college students). We talked about me using ****** and Craigslist to connect with people, and whether we should set mom up with an account on **********.

So for us, the holidays have been essentially unchanged this year.

6. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is my first holiday season being Out. Since I'm bi and my coming out didn't involve major family changes, not a lot is different from past years. 2016 was a big year of changes for me (all good, except for the election in November), so it's been a period of reflection. I've been filling two positions at work for most of the year, which pretty much prevented me from using any vacation time, so now I have most of three weeks off at the end of the year.

It's not related to holidays, but my wife has recently gotten more comfortable referring to me as "queer", which is a word she didn't use to like at all. I take it as a sign of support and increased comfort with me being out - she is using it in the empowering context, not as a put-down.

Happy holidays everybody!

7. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, Christmas was fucking terrible. Dysphoria abound, depression, and being sick and constipated on top of it.....I'm ready for new years, hopefully I can at least find a party to get black out drunk at.

8. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well this is my second holiday being out to myself as queer and my first since leaving home. Last year's one was explosive enough with my mum finding lgbt sites on my computer and opening them in front of family, and being given a bible for soul searching by my religious aunt. Followed by months of interrogation by my mother. So was a bit apprehensive for this year.

Basically my mum has told me "by the end of this holiday your gonna tell me whats going on with you", which makes me wanna run back to university real fast, and I've endured a whole dinner conversation on Christmas Eve between her and my religious aunt that was horrifically homophobic... Like I literally did not expect any conversation to be that saturated in awfulness. Worst quotes (by my my aunt, she was leading it) include "if I put my child up for adoption because I had to, and he was adopted by a homosexual couple... Man, I would be tracking down that child to go take him back .... Haha cos to me, you know, that's like HANDING YOUR CHILD OVER TO THE DEVIL!!!" and paraphrasing here "5 years ago, you never would've thought a preist would marry a gay couple in a church! You know?! NEVER! Well that's happened. And you can't imagine it in a million years now, but you know we couldn't imagine gay marriage: I see in the future, the same thing will happen with.... You know... Pedophiles." I was freaking out about how not to look shifty when I was red hot and tense so eventually I had to act as if I was sympathetic to what she was saying. What worries me more is that my mum was sympathetic and although she wasn't fully on that level, she was not faking it like me - I know she sort of has a funny view of gay people.... I just never connected it to something this extreme - but this is the family she comes from! So yeah, k wanna get away from home quick after that.

9. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, Christmas was alright. However, there was family drama and I don't really feel like I can be my full self around most of my family. The ones that do know I'm gay don't actually acknowledge it or talk about it so something about that kind of sucks. Also, I'm sick of little catty bitchy comments being made about me by mother and sisters for the sake of getting a laugh out of my oldest siblings, their families, and cousins.

10. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christmas has been pretty good, lots of presents for my son. he didnt ask for much but i got him a few surprises, new things for me as i move towards transition. had our Christmas eve feast of roast lamb, then a big Christmas morning breakfast, then up to my parents for Christmas dinner, yup way too much food :grin:

i dropped my son off to spend a few days with his mom and her parents, and had a nice visit with my younger brother and his wife and grown kids who were out to see our parents, cracking jokes about guys with my niece. so far so good... haha

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I responded on your thread that you linked here :slight_smile:

In another subject -how do you do that link?? I've been wondering that when I see other people do it :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2016 at 12:08 AM ----------

This is all so encouraging to read, and i'm so happy for you that your split is progressing in such s positive way.

How long have you been divorced/separated? Is this the first holiday after the split?

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2016 at 12:11 AM ----------

This is great news, Adray!! I'm really happy for you!

The holidays do offer a time for reflection. It's a great time too look back at who you are, how you've evolved, the progress you've made. And it's been a huge year for you. Good for you!

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2016 at 12:19 AM ----------

Ah, I'm so sorry it's felt so bad for you. I can totally understand, as well. Being around people who don't really know this aspect of who you are and feeling you have to keep putting on s show. Do you have friends you're out to about your gender? Maybe New Year's Eve can be a good time to let that show a bit more and be you and surround yourself with friends (or just one friend) who you feel comfortable being yourself around.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2016 at 12:24 AM ----------

Ah, shach, that sounds awful! I'm sorry!

Just keep reminding yourself that they don't define you. Be strong! At least that part of the holidays are done for a bit. (*hug*)

12. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you mean about not being able to be your full self around certain family members. That's such an uncomfortable feeling. And the family dram sounds like it can be really frustrating as well.

I'm not home for most holidays anymore so i sometimes forget the drama that comes up at those get togethers.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2016 at 12:38 AM ----------

And I'm sorry they're making catty bitchy comments, how mean! Is it related to you being gay or other aspects of your life?

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2016 at 12:41 AM ----------

Oh this is all so great! I'm glad you're having a good holiday! Do you feel you can mostly be yourself around your family? It sounds like s nice relaxing family time. :slight_smile:

13. Charlie 84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This year has been surprisingly good. This year is the 2nd xmas in a row where I have only spent time with my close family, as they are accepting of who I am, and don't ask questions.

I have avoided my very religious grandmother this year, and last year, as she is very outspoken and I always find I have to go back in the closet when I visit/spend time with her. I have also avoided uncles, aunties and cousins who always ask questions about whether I've got a boyfriend etc.

I don't like avoiding family, but if it makes me feel better (rather than worse) then I think its necessary.

14. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes it seems necessary, like you say,to avoid those people who bring negativity to our lives. I'm glad that you had a nice holiday and didn't have to deal with that negativity. Good for you. Hopefully some of your relatives will come around when they see that if they want to have you in their lives, they need to be more loving.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2016 at 04:56 AM ----------

Ugh sorry autocorrect - sometimes it IS necessary. I hate when autocorrect completely changes a message. (And makes me look like an asshole)

15. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the trans thing isnt out so, no input there yet. the queer thing is all out and i feel so comfortable i dont allow others any negativity, not that i've gotten any from my family, or pretty much anyone else for that matter.

16. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That's exactly it, I'm tired of always feeling like I'm putting on a show. It's tiring. I do have friends I'm out to, but only a select few, and only one is close enough to me(physical location wise) to actually hang out. We'll see.

17. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This was my first Christmas back in my own country, with my family. The day was OK, went by fast. My birthday was the next day... had some friends over. No one of course mentions the "pink elephant in the room" and my mother mentioned some blah blah to a neighbour about one day having a daughter-in-law... yet my whole family knows as I came out to them 11 years ago and I have had 2 boyfriends.
    I cried when no one was around.

18. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right, I haven't shared anything about my gender with my family either. One step at s time! I'm glad you've found support in being yourself :slight_smile: that's wonderful!

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2016 at 12:28 AM ----------

You're going to get there, cluster. I feel you right frustrating in you're posts, it's a really tough time when you feel you can't be you, I know. (*hug*) but you're moving forward all the time and you'll be in a better place soon (you mentioned you'll start HRT sin several months, you're moving in several months...) it's not going to be easy but you will be closer to living your truth.

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2016 at 12:28 AM ----------

*feel your frustrations in your posts

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2016 at 12:49 AM ----------

I'm so sorry (*hug*) It's really tough when your family's not supportive. Are your friends more supportive or is it the same with them? Big hugs to you. And happy birthday by the way. I hope you have a good support system where you live. Do you have good friends near you?

19. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [/COLOR]
    I'm so sorry (*hug*) It's really tough when your family's not supportive. Are your friends more supportive or is it the same with them? Big hugs to you. And happy birthday by the way. I hope you have a good support system where you live. Do you have good friends near you?[/QUOTE]

My friends really are very supportive. For them it's not even an issue and they can joke and tease me all they want because I know they love me no matter and I can be me around them. Sadly none of them live near me at all.

Thank you for the birthday wish (*hug*)

20. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know Barista! It's very exciting, but at the same time I sometimes get frustrated that it's moving so slow! But you're right, I'm certainly getting there. :slight_smile: