1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LIES PEOPLE TELL ME: "You just haven't met the right person yet"

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Soundofmusic, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone! Happy Holidays!

I came out almost two years ago but haven't really dated any girls yet.
    I never really had a boyfriend before I acknowledged myself either. I've dated guys here and there but either I ghosted them or they ghosted me.

I've ALWAYS been the single friend (especially now when ALL my friends are married/in relationships). And when I fell in love with my trigger and figured myself out, I thought "OK, me being always single makes sense now". But now I'm starting to feel like Im just one of those people who will be single for life.

I live in a small island where there are definitely gay people, but just not in the straight circle I run in. People tell me to go to meetups and such but there's really no such thing here and Im quite an introvert. I tell people Im gay in hopes that they will introduce me to gay/bi girls they know but no such luck yet because my circle is really THAT straight.

So not only have I historically always been single, I feel like things just got TONS more complicated for me and Im so afraid. I live a happy and full life with a great career, friends, family, home, etc. I dont NEED anyone to "complete me" so to speak. But whenever I'm out with all the couples I just long for somebody to cuddle or love. The happiest days of my life were when I loved someone.

People constantly tell me "you just haven't met the right person yet" or "theres someone out there for you" and I HATE THOSE WORDS because they might not be true. There are people out there that NEVER meet "the one":dry: But I feel like there's not someone out there for me and I don't know how to feel about that.

I've even started saving money to have a baby on my own because I refuse to be that woman who ends up alone later in life and regrets never being a mom. I want a family and having a kid is something I can control.

Anyways, sharing this because I know there's others on the same boat. If you are, holler!

And happy new year!

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As sad as it is, you won't meet people unless you put yourself out there. There are plenty of options: Online dating, gay meet ups, friends of friends. Have you tried online dating? I know you said there are no real clubs or gay friends of friends, so that might be an option. You can be an introvert that enjoys going to meet ups, It's just that you'll need a break after doing so.

There's no such thing as a one true soul mate or someone created for someone, but anyone can find dates if they try.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello,

First, don't despair! Looking for a relationship isn't easy, but it is definetely possible.

You say that your circle of friends is too straight. Have you considered finding more friends? That can be done by looking for things in your area that you enjoy doing, and meeting more people there. That is easier said than done, especially in a small place, but it would be a interesting start.

For example, if you like video games, find groups that enjoy that activity too and interact with them. Do that for activities you like, and then meet people naturally because you are doing something you enjoy. The internet is a powerful tool to find groups of your interest.

Also, take a look here: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/famil...king-relationship-simpler-than-you-think.html

4. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have tried online dating but I RARELY match with people (even though I think I'm attractive - maybe Im deluded LOL. Or maybe femme girls Im swiping for are only into butch and Im SUPER femme).

I have gone on a couple of dates but it's with people who are looking to hook up and that's just not me. I go out quite a bit and I keep getting involved in more activities/events but I never meet anyone gay at them. IDK ive just kind of given up.

Thanks for the advice!

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2016 at 10:12 AM ----------

Yes, have definitely considered making more friends. However, and feel free to peg me as a snob or whatever, I'm pretty high up in my career/highly educated and it's hard to meet gay women who are as well. Women I have met tend to be bartenders, retail workers, struggling artists, etc. There's NOTHING wrong with that, but I just have a hard time relating to them. Meanwhile my straight friends all date guys who are also career/educated people they have things in common with. I can't seem to find that here. Maybe because those women are more closeted?

I'm involved in a ton of activities; web coding classes, board of directors of my building (i live in a gayborhood with tons of young people), charity events, etc. However, I have only met one gay person through them and we've hung out a bit but he's a guy and doesn't know many gay girls.

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry you haven't had much luck! It seems unfortunate that a lot of online dating is geared toward casual flings and nothing more.

I feel like dating is so much harder for gay people.

6. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're right that some people will be single for their entire lives. But that's okay, because it works better for some people. Push back against becoming jaded, keep your mind open to possibilities, enjoy people and relationships for who and what they are, be a good friend, and make your own plans (like having a baby on your own).

7. wrhinla

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know what you mean. I live in one of the gayest neighborhoods in the world, yet I'm completely perplexed about how I'm ever going to meet the sort of men I would be interested in. I don't doubt that they are out there, I just don't know how to find them.

I have had many relationships with women but none with men. I often think that I'll never be in any sort of real relationship again. Every time I vow to fully come out to the world, I worry that I'll live alone for the rest of my life. Of course, if I remain as deeply closeted as I am, I'll either be alone or in a relationship with a woman that is built on deception.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't believe on 'The One', I believe we share our time with more than one single partner on a lifetime, and every partner is 'The One' for a while, be it a week or twenty years.

It is more fun to want to get to know someone, than to examine someone looking for 'special marks'... Then if we don't find those marks, we are doomed to feel cheated... And also people do change with time, we do change, and with all those changes the whole relationship will turn different. Sometimes the relationship survives, but most of the time it won't.

If you do have a great life right now, treasure it and don't endanger it for a relationship. Take your time to get to know potential partners, the more the better... And for that you do need to make an effort and meet them, get to know them, be patient, etc.

Somebody will cross your path. Most of the times when you are not expecting them, or not looking for them, when you are just living your life and not giving a damn, they just pop up...

9. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I keep wanting to press like and there isn't a like button...lol

I completely understand what you are saying. With the exception of my long, drawn out forum posts online, I am very introverted. Without going into my story to much, I did the whole career thing and it is extremely hard to meet anyone regardless of orientation. I see myself in the same boat in a few years. I think about that a lot. I have come to the conclusion that even if I spend the rest of my life without someone special sharing it with me, life is better when you are being the real you.

Like others have posted, stop looking so hard and love usually comes your way. Enjoy your life, have a baby, focus on doing things that make you happy. Although it would be great to have a special someone to share your life with, it is not the end of happiness if you never find that someone.

10. YeahpIdk

Maybe consider moving? Also, don't knock those struggling artists!

Also, Soundofmusic, dearest. This isn't the first time I've seen you call yourself a snob when it comes to people. Maybe take a look to see if your preconceived notions of others is getting in the way of your gay happiness. Also, maybe see if it's a crutch you're using to separate yourself somehow. Just some thoughts!

Hope you have a lovely New Year:slight_smile: