1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me it gets better?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Dec 31, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been a while since I've had one of these blow out fights with my soon to be ex, but last night we had one. In front of our daughter. And today we tried to talk out the issues.... as soon as one layer was pulled away, underneath more and more problems kept coming to the surface.

And I'm just left wanting so desperately to get on with things. Get on with the separation, with my life. (Of course my ex and I will always need to see eye to eye to an extent, we're co-parents).

But can I build the life and home I want for us? I know you all don't know my life and can't tell me what the future's going to be like but, any insight is helpful.

-My inner bitterness, anger, resentment, will it subside at least a bit? Some part of me thinks a lot of these feelings stem from my life in the closet, hiding and losing me, plus a disappointing unsupportive marriage. I know coming out and starting a new life is not a magic bullet, but I really want to believe that for future me, who is living my authentic life, that a lot of this internal angst will subside. It already has a bit but I want my daughter to live in a more comforting environment, much more, by leaps and bounds. And I want to be a less angry person.

-I keep hoping that my greater happiness will allow me to give more to my daughter in general, to be a better parent. I want to have more patience and focus. That's my hope. Does anyone feel they've lived out these changes and it has made a difference?

-and in general, I just want this absurd performance to end. I think - soon I will feel a greater sense of freedom. I want to be out, honest, authentic, me. I'm getting tired of putting on different faces when I'm with the people who "can't know" yet. I'm sick of thinking oh that makes my gay/genderqueer side far too obvious, hide the bracelet, pretend I'm a happy wife in a straight marriage. Don't forget to smile and talk about the weather! It's so refreshing when I can be with the friends who know me.

Does anybody have any insight? Thoughts?

2. WarmEmbrace

Yes it will, and it will get better starting with the moment when you fully accept you , as you are, without resentments, when decide to let love take over :slight_smile:.
    Love yourself, and you will be able to love others as well, in a healthy way. Depending on others for that love and validation is also giving them too much power over you.

Hating and not appreciating yourself will poison the well of your love towards others, there's no way around it.

---------- Post added 31st Dec 2016 at 03:34 PM ----------

It is wonderful to have the love of those around you, but never make it into something that you absolutely need to get in order to survive.
    That strength of self appreciation has to come from within.
    *hugs* :grin:

3. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds like great advice!
    baristajedi, I don't have much to add accept (*hug*)

4. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can't tell you things will get better, but know you're not alone in this.
    I know those days all to well. Before I even starting accepting myself, we have had issues in our marriage. Nothing violent, but I absolutely hate arguing in front of our daughter. We are both at fault because I also could control my anger and take it to another room or outside, but don't.

I have felt so many times I would be a much better parent, we both would, if we lived separate/divorced. I even went as far as looking at apartments online. Tbh, six months ago I was on a marriage forum trying to find out what was best to do.

What are your reasons for staying?

I haven't lived these out yet as these are things I am currently going through myself. I continually go between - staying is right because she has her dad and me full time; to she would be better, I would be better, we all would be better if we weren't a family unit all together. It's tough being a parent in this situation and even tougher with the acceptance of ourselves issue.

So me to a tee. Well, I know I probably didn't help at all. I just wanted to let you know there are others going through this with you. I don't have the answers. Tbh, even if someone has gone through something like this, their life isn't your life and it's just not the same. What worked or works for one, isn't always the correct way for someone else. Only you can really decide what is the best course for your life and your daughter.

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    a bad marriage, and a child who is your world. got ya there friend. my son is my life and i had the bad, abusive spouse, at least yours is trying to do the co-parent thing.

i also know what you mean about the hiding, deflecting, editing........et al. it does get easier, leaving the marriage allowed me to know that i am in fact queer, and that led to the truth of my gender...... and with out that stress, pain, and strife it did get sooooo much better, living my truth as an openly queer person is so freeing as well, so that does get better too. your path is similar to mine but with it's own twists and turns but it does get better, even about our genders, time and patience is so useful. it kind of has to doesnt it? these are our truths, and like i keep saying; "understanding and acceptance is desired but not required." IE; this is my truth and i will live it regardless of what others 'opinions' are.

hang in there hun (*hug*) it does get better and you've made so many positive steps to get to there. :kiss:

6. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been separated from my children's mother for 18 months now. Things weren't great anyway, and with my sexuality being back on my mind a lot, I had no desire to continue in the relationship. Thing have finally calmed down a lot and we are getting along better. She has dated several people and seems genuinely serious about someone now. Me, I'm kinda frozen in place. I feel there are things I need to do to make myself "dateable" and anxiety and self worth problems make things that much more daunting.
    That said, I don't regret the relationship ending at all. I have no friends, so there is really nobody outside of family to even be out to, but at least I finally feel more free to just be myself

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you warmembrace for the encouragement! I actually feel I've come to fully accept me (well of course there's always more progress we can make), but my main issue now is getting through separation with my husband, starting a new life and hopefully finding I can improve my daughter's life as part of the results.

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2017 at 01:36 AM ----------

Hugs findingjoy! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2017 at 01:37 AM ----------

I'm coming back to this thread, thanks bunnydee, lookingforme, angeluscrazy - I want to respond but need to run for a little bit! Be back shortly.

8. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate to hear when people feel that they have to do things to make themselves more "dateable". While self-improvement is a good thing, accepting yourself as you are is equally important. Try to strike a balance between acceptance and improvement.

Perhaps in 2017 you may want to spend more effort trying to find somebody who can love you for who you are today. This might entail looking for love in different places or sites. I wasn't having great luck on a particular dating site, so I tried another and met my current BF.

#8 SiennaFire, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is all the same with me, we've had so many issues, mostly stemming from awful communication and not being a team. And I hate arguing in front of our daughter. It's awful, and I know I could have done better. :/

Oh I'm not staying, it's decided, we're separating.

I guess I didn't state that clearly. I guess my reason for posting was... I know separation is right but am I envisioning (hoping) something realistic for the future, that i will parent with at least one level of stress removed, that my personal inner turmoil will subside, her environment will be much improved?

I suppose I just have a really short fuse sometimes. There's a part of me that thinks I would have s better temper, and less inner angst overall, if I were living more authentically.

But maybe I'm just an angry person? I like to think I'm quite positive overall...but I feel so much bitterness inside, it has to come from somewhere. I want to be happier, more patient. My instincts tell me that at least some of my internal angst comes from the life I've been leading in the closet.

I've already answered a lot of the questions you're wrestling with - I know I need to leave, and we're working on it. But you know how it is, as a parent it's really stressful going through all of these huge life changes.

10. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's just the doubts that creep in when I'm having a bad day...on those days I'm left wondering have I passed a point with my daughter that things can't really improve for her?

my son was in our abusive situation much longer, and he came out OK, your daughter is much younger and even more able to adjust and learn that things can be healthy. although counseling for her might be useful, useful for you to in regards to learning healthy coping mechanisms since anger isnt healthy for the most part and if your like me you've learned to go there first in dealing with stress, especially from your ex. both you and your daughter deserve better.

#10 looking for me, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really want to take her to counselling but my ex has some weird reservations about therapy. I'm working on that because I think it will be really valuable for her, maybe even necessary.

I'm certainly planning on continuing therapy for me and anger management is one of the things I want to work on. I'm hoping things will get better with us each being positive with her.

I do tend to go there with the anger with my ex, he behaves quite calmly, but there is absolutely no getting through to him on almost any issue and that's when the anger builds and builds. I want to discuss, but he tends to be quite dismissive. Honestly, we have a lot of normal couple issues (aside from me being gay obviously), but we are a really bad team and so we don't work through them in s healthy way at all.

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    bing right there, that's a control issue. he gets to say hey im the calm one, she's the angry irrational one..... i've seen this one done before, and he knows it presses your buttons to make you jump whenever he wants you to. hun, while you may have anger/frustration issues, this guy is pulling the strings, i bet he says he's "ok" with you being gay but it really hits his masculinity, and ego, and maybe his self perception. i mean WTF i married a gay person? what's wrong with me, and why couldn't i make her straight..... just supposition of course. but i've seen similar before.

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2017 at 11:13 PM ----------

i wonder if he's afraid that a counselor will let your daughter be ok with mommy being gay and maybe getting another mommy with you rather than just him.... (stray thoughts)

13. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

He definitely has control issues. I hid from everyone I know the way that he tried to control my diet for a long time. It was humiliating that I had that kind of person as my husband. That was the most glaring control issue we've had and he has actually changed that fully by the time our daughter was speaking/walking (at my pushing the issue). It doesn't seem to me that he's intentionally controlling but it's definitely true that he is. When I show him where he's wrong he does work on it.

In terms of me being gay, though, he did not hide his feelings at all. He's told me from pretty early on that I'm basically destroying everyone's life. That's gotten much better but it took a long time. He does something else though that's more destructive and tries to dismiss that I'm gay, that I don't know myself, that I'm confused. That's gotten better as well but he's still in denial. For a while it took every ounce of strength for me to remind myself everyday that I know myself and that I'm doing the right thing. His method of eroding away at my cobfidence was really strong and was really difficult for me to remain stubborn and hold onto my sense of truth.

14. cate1515

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Uggh, my soon to be ex husband and I also had a blowout fight last night and our son heard. I had a long talk with my 8 year old today and he understands that mommy doesnt like men and that we want mom and dad to both be able to be happy, but its hard knowing the family trips and stuff wont happen. We took him to Disney 16x since he was 13 months and did 3 DIsney cruises, the last being 2 weeks ago, most likely our last trip as a family. Its sad but staying trapped is worse.

15. WarmEmbrace

Please please make sure his subconscious mind does not accidentally pick this aspect up the wrong way. That mommy not liking men does not in any way translate to you not loving him because he is a boy and not a girl. That you love him unconditionally either way, and gender has no bearing on it whatsoever.

My mom being depressed about how my dad was acting, and me being very emotionally attached to her definitely contributed to me hating myself for being physically a boy, ( because it meant on some level that I was after all same as my dad, which in my mind at that time was the bad guy).

Much love though these tough times.
    (*hug*)

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2017 at 02:23 PM ----------

though was supposed to be *through* :slight_smile:

16. Landgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My ex didn't have control issues in any obvious way, but I used to find myself having to keep my feelings inside for fear of upsetting him, as he was hugely averse to even the slightest expression of conflict. As a result, people saw us as the perfect couple, because we never argued, and if pressed would have described me as the controlling one and him as excessively compliant. It took my current therapist to point out to me that this was the underlying dynamic in our marriage, because for ages I didn't see it. I just kept saying "but he's a good kind man, how can I possibly leave him?") Unfortunately my son, who lives with him, obviously picked up on this method of responding to his dad's emotional state, and is tiptoeing round him, helping keep him emotionally afloat, rather than my ex doing it for him.

As far as being gay is concerned, your ex sounds just like mine. He told me I should concentrate on therapy for all my other issues first, such as low self-worth, and once these were satisfactorily resolved perhaps I would feel more comfortable with myself, and maybe realise I wasn't gay after all. He suggested that my mental and emotional state could be put down to a combination of struggling to come to terms with the death of my mother, and the loss of my job (both of which were highly traumatic and occurred close together), and the fact that I was also struggling to cope with the effects of menopause.

17. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    such gentle control as dismissal of feelings and making you avoid conflict are in many ways worst than outright, you do X... because they seem reasonable, or make you question am i really feeling what im feeling... ive been down the road with all 3 plus physical control, IE; getting hit, things thrown, etc. im no angel because i do have a temper but i always gave in wither i liked it or not. in fact i only acted to get out when my son was in danger from her.

things like gaslighting, dismissal, avoidance of pertinent issues is in many ways more insidious than overt control issues because it gets in our heads and we only get to see it when we get the perspective of distance, i couldnt really see it till i got on my own and could talk to a therapist about me, and now instead of going from crisis to crisis in the relationship.

18. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have anything to add, except; It will get better for you Jedi, I know it will. :slight_smile:

19. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That is my husband right there. gaslighting, dismissal and avoidance. It drives me absolutely insane.

20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's so invalidating for them to dismiss things about our sense of self, isn't it? For mrnit really put a huge amped in my confidence, like do I know myself?

How long hard you been separated from your ex? From your other posts on him it sounds like you had quite s tough divorce/separation.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2017 at 01:06 AM ----------

Big hugs (*hug*) I know how you feel. I hate those gifts dnd I hate when my daughter hears.

Congratulations on telling your son, that must have been such a tough step! How did the talk go?

He will adjust to the changes, and he will also benefit more from you living your truth than he will from the holidays. I know it hurts to take away things you want to give him, but you're making a brave and difficult life change that will leave a really valuable impact on him. Stay strong!

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2017 at 01:06 AM ----------

*hate those fights

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2017 at 01:18 AM ----------

Sarah, you've dealt with such a toxic situation, I really admire your strength in getting through it and out idnit, and being such a good model for your son.

It helps a lot to see your perspective as well, because it helps me see that I'm not crazy and my instincts ar right, that my (ex) husband is being manipulative and controlling. It's like pulling teeth to get to a better place with him but at least he really is trying, he cares deeply about making sure things are tight for our daughter so I can help him see things from that perspective.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2017 at 01:19 AM ----------

*out of it

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2017 at 01:19 AM ----------

*right for our daughter

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2017 at 01:21 AM ----------

Thanks cluster (*hug*) :kiss:

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2017 at 01:22 AM ----------

Drives me insane too bunnydee! I totally hear ya.