1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I didn't know him well but he helped me on my journey

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Jan 1, 2017.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in my hometown last year in April, I went to a few gay bars on my own. I didn't meet any women but I did have the chance to chat with various people rather than standing solo at the bar.

One of the people I talked to was a guy who was also at the bar alone. We talked about politics, life, love, family, our journeys coming out. He gave me some encouraging words and tried to get me to talk to a cute girl who briefly stopped in and then left the bar. We shared our feelings, vulnerabilities and fears in accepting who we are. It was just one conversation, but we connected enough to become FB friends. And that's the last I saw him.

Today I opened FB to see he died. It leaves me thinking about how people touch our lives in unexpected ways; how we take some steps for one reason but find other things waiting in the other side to help us grow; how we can connect and go separate ways from others; how people can help us grow. I wonder if he ever reconciled with his father. I wonder how he took the election. I wonder if he ever did all the traveling he intended to do.

I didn't know him well, but it was a shock to see the post. People really impact eachother when they may not realise it. Not sure exactly what to say, just leaves me thinking about stuff a bit.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sorry for your loss Jedi. sometimes we get to meet those who give us what we need, either then or as a memory in the future. so quickly things can change/end, it's why we have to walk our path so we can be ourselves while we can.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks lookingforme, what you say is so true. Life really is short, I think about that a lot lately in terms of following my authentic path. I consider myself lucky to have crossed paths with so many really kind and encouraging people on my journey.

4. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Life is way short. I tell myself this every time I feel guilty about wanting to transition. Life is too short, it could end for me any time, why not at least go out happy and living authentically?

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes so true, it's so important to remember that. I feel the same.