1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my parents, now its just awkward.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by oh boy, Jan 1, 2017.

1. oh boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I'm a 15 year old gay boy, in the morning of first day of the year I decided to tell my parents that I was gay, I thought since it was a nee year it could be a nice date to do it, so I did. It wen't really great, but now I'm uncomfortable seeing them and it is way too awkward. I'm scared I made the wrong choice.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's always uncomfortable and awkward when you first share that sort of information with your parents. The awkwardness will go away in time. Give them a bit of time to come to terms with it, and I think you'll find things much better.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey oh boy,

First, congratulations!:thumbsup: That was a very brave thing to do. I'm glad your parents were so accepting!:slight_smile:

As Chip said, it's almost always uncomfortable talking to parents about anything to do with sex. You just shared some very personal and private information with them. Try to remember that your sexuality is only a part of who you are and it doesn't define you. While it may be the number one issue in your mind, to your parents, you are still just their son whom they love the same today as yesterday - only they know a little more about you today. Life will go on you you'll get used to the idea that they now know you are gay and things will return to a new normal. It may just take some time.

Best of luck!

#3 Quantumreality, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. WarmEmbrace

First, Congratulations! :slight_smile:.

Like in all relationships, be they couple relationships, parent-child relationships, work relationships communication is key. If you feel things are awkward and communication is breaking down, open your heart, talk to them. Each being awkward in their own corner will surely not be good. Maybe they need more time to process everything, but if you think they had that processing time already you could say something like "Mom , Dad, I love you but I can't shake the feeling there's some awkwardness going on here, and troubles me. I was honest with you about this and this aspects of me, about these feelings I was having. Can you do the same for me ?"

Or if you feel it is better to talk with each of them separately, do you know them better than some random person on a forum after all :slight_smile:.

*big hug* :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2017 at 10:00 AM ----------

Ack, forgot a punctuation mark there " ... with each of them separately , do .( full stop) You know them better... ". All that on-the-fly rephrasing always gets me...