1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Met someone online:Now what do I do?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by trojan, Jan 18, 2017.

1. trojan

I met someone online. He is coming to visit me. What do I do, is there some ettiquette to this?
    Ive chatted to people before, and mostly they are weird, but so far I like this person.
    I dont have a lot of experience, either with meeting the actual online person or with dating same gender.
    Any suggestions, what do I ask him, what do i watch out for, Im a little nervous.
    I didnt think I would actually meet someone.

2. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find I am the most comfortable in a public setting. So like food, drinks, etc...

As for conversation, that's always hard. I usually just ask about their day, job, what they like/don't like. There will probably be bouts of awkward silence, but usually the conversation flows from one topic to another.

As for what to watch out for: if you meet the person and he isn't who he said he is (catfish). Knew this one girl who met someone online and his picture was completely different than what he actually looked like...she said she wasn't vain so she gave him a chance, but he turned out to be a real piece of work and only used her for money/sex. If they aren't genuine before they meet you and lie, they aren't worth the chance.

Personally, I have never gone on one bad online date so far. Even if it didn't pan out romantically, sometimes it's nice to meet new people and make new friends.

Best of luck.

3. trojan

Thanks. He seems genuine. we are coing for coffee and sight seeing first. Im old enough to know whats what, I think

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a general rule, try to get offline as soon as possible, insist that your first meeting should be in a public place, if he is genuine, he will appreciate that you are taking this precaution as he may have the same apprehensions.

Speaking of which, you know that you are feeling some apprehension and nervousness, but you should also assume that he is likely feeling the same way. In fact, try to focus on what he is feeling and on what he is saying, while keeping some kind of background check on how you are feeling about how things are going. Reserve judgment on any less positive discoveries until you get all the facts, everyone has some positive and negative traits (the latter being less likely to be divulged on a first date).

Try not to do a data-dump on him, best to keep a little mystery for the first date. You may think this is inauthentic, but, it is better to let a potential relationship develop slowly, and under different circumstances. You are likely to find the truth about someone under some conditions more than others. If you are really interested in each other, you will eventually do some day trip(s) together, this will be an excellent opportunity to see if you get along under the stress of travel and to see if you share common interests.

Pay no heed to the saying that opposites attract...they may attract, but this makes for a poor prognosis in the relationship department. Try to find someone who shares your values (unfortunately, it takes time to discover this).

Best of luck on your first date! :slight_smile:

#4 greatwhale, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017