1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women's march (or your local sister matches)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Jan 21, 2017.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who's gone? Share your stories.

I rocked my pride flag (like a cape), and a pride bandanna, held a sign and chanted with friends. It doesn't make these 4 years go away, but the solidarity felt amazing.

I'll try to upload some pics in a bit.

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2017 at 07:10 AM ----------

(Wish I could fix the title typo)...

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ours got changed to a Facebook live thing because we are in the middle of a blizzard. i couldnt get connected. bummer.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never went, sadly. My Mom was disappointed when she found out because she would have practically begged me to go. :'( Feel like I missed out.

4. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I casually wandered over to the one in London alone and walked determinedly to Trafalgar Square, not in the highest spirits and mostly silently thinking, but occasionally joining the chanting when it seemed to be happening in my vicinity. Then walked determinedly back home and now I'm exhausted. I enjoyed some of the wittier signs and I laughed when these two topless girls climbed onto one of the huge statue bases at Trafalgar Square. Other than that it felt like an obligation basically but I didn't mind it I just walked meditatively.

5. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My wife is at the local rally right now. My son's elementary school teacher traveled to Washington, DC, and is at the rally at our nation's capital now.

Thank you to everyone who is marching today, or supporting the marches in any way. This is an important time to stand up and be heard. It makes a difference. It's a good experience, too - I did some marches with the Occupy movement a few years ago, those are great life experiences and memories for sure.

6. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I left at 6am this morning for Austin for a local women's march.(I live 3 1/2 hours away) The amount of people that showed up was unreal! The march started at the Capitol building then went south to 6th street and took a right, then another right at Lavaca, and then back to the Capitol building. It's about a mile and a half according to the website. The march started marching at 12 noon. Hazel (my dog) and I hung back until a bit after 12:30 before we started walking letting the loudest of the drums and chants go by.(loud!) There were still people pouring in to join from the surrounding streets when we started. It took till 1:30 for us to make it back to the Capitol building. It was, hot and Hazel plopped on the grass and said no more! So we sat there with several families and cooled down under the trees till about 2:10. We got up to head back to the car and I decided to go down Congress Street again. In a few blocks we ran into the back of the march!!!!! It was still going! I can't imagine how many people there were of every age range. I started out behind a couple in their 80's, and their were lots of seniors and children and dogs. I saw families with every generation in attendance. Older people would get tired or hot and people would get up to make room for them on the downtown benches so they could recover. It was amazingly cheery, and was an example of humanity at its best. I'm glad I got up at 5 am to join in. Completely worth a turnaround trip with 2 dogs.

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw that's a bummer :frowning2:

But I'm hoping this is just the beginning, now the real work begins. I'm hoping that this momentum continues and people work hard to fight trump's agenda.

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2017 at 11:33 PM ----------

Aw, why'd you miss it, creativemind?

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2017 at 11:34 PM ----------

What was it that made it feel more like an obligation for you? Did you feel something was missing in its representation?

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2017 at 11:35 PM ----------

How were their experiences at those rallies? I had a few friends who made it to the DC march. It seemed so inspiring.

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2017 at 11:36 PM ----------

Wow that's an amazing experience Bunny!

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha I wasn't aware it was actually happening when it did happen. My Mom and I found out late when we finally started playing with our phones, and then we were disappointed we missed it. My Mom is an awesome feminist like me, so it would have been fun.

9. IrishJ

I went with my wife and daughter to the march in WDC. Very empowering day, especially for my daughter to experience this moment in his(her)story. Now to take this energy and help keep the current elected officials from stripping us of our rights and healthcare.

The propaganda machine has truly just begun, God help us all.

J

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly, this has to be seen as only a beginning, beyond this terrific effort, it will take a sustained, concerted and organized effort to win the 2018 congressional and senate elections, and it must be done in all 50 states at every government level, from municipal, to county to state legislatures.

11. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, my weekends are not my own, so I was unable to go to any....

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so the numbers are in on our virtual march and.......drum roll........ 13,000!!!! connecting with Face Book Live.:eek::thumbsup::eusa_danc

pretty darn good considering there are only 500,000 people in the province, although there were many ex-pats.

#12 looking for me, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  13. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is how I feel, we need to be diligent and use this momentum to start the real work to make change. After the last few days with so many executive orders.... we've got our work cut out for ourselves...