1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few good things in a row

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Jan 23, 2017.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple things have happened, which may sound small, but to me they're huge steps...

So after the women's march Saturday, I was walking with my friends (whom I met mostly from LGBT groups), and I was still wearing my pride flag and sign as we strolled along the sidewalk. Most people on the street were still wearing or holding their protest signs. We got to a pub, and without thinking that I still had all of this on (I would have noticed when I sat down, surely, and would have felt like putting them away in my bag). As I approached the door the one security guard said "take off the sign". I thought fair enough and promptly pulled it off. Then the other guard said, and this (grabbing my flag). I said why? He said "no football colours". I said this is not a football colour, this is a pride flag. He said, well it might cause trouble. I said well then I have no interest in coming into your pub and walked away. I was proud of myself for standing firm on keeping my pride flag on. It felt really good. I said to my friend asqe walked away, I waited 38 years to put a pride flag on my back, I'm not taking it it off for him.

So then yesterday, my soon to be ex husband asked me if I could sit and talk with him. He grabbed my hands and told me that he loves me and he thinks of me as the kindest person he knows, and that if I feel certain that the separation is what I need to make me happy, he wants me to be happy. Just as I have started to accept that I'll probably never get his blessing and understanding, he gave it to me. It was quite a powerful conversation.

And then, we chatted for a while and he said he wants to be my friend, and wants me to share my life with him more often. So I thought, ok I'll give it a try. So I told him about the moment after the march with the pride flag, the story I told above. I held my breath expecting some lukewarm response. But he said, I'm proud of you for for standing up for yourself.

I'm feeling a bit of tears coming to my eyes thinking about it as I write. It feels good to have his support.

Thanks for reading if you've read this far.

2. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is great news! It definitely will help to make the whole transition easier if you are able to be on the same page with things.
    My ex and I have finally found a bit of civility, after 18 months of finger pointing and vile words spewed from both sides. Plus, it surely is better for your daughter to have that sense of peace, even tho the family dynamic has changed.

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im proud of you too hun. pretty big steps and you are blossoming. I think you STBX is seeing that too.

(*hug*)(*hug*)

4. IrishJ

Way to go Barista,

Rainbow football colours, never in America. Shame, it certainly would brighten up their (costumes) uniforms.

Much happiness for you and your ex communication opening.

Thanks for marching!

J

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't been online for a few days, have been really under the weather.

Thanks so much angeluscrazy, lookingforme and Irishj!! :kiss:

Angeluscrazy, I'm glad things are starting to look up between you and your ex. Do you feel that it was just time that allowed you both to find more peace?

6. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the biggest help was her actually meeting someone else. She has dated some and seems to have found someone she really cares for a lot.