1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm moving South and I'm freaked out.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by YeahpIdk, Feb 13, 2017.

1. YeahpIdk

Alright. Anyone here from the South? I'll be moving in a few months and am as liberal and yankee as one can get.

I'm from the far East Coast. I've always lived in and around the bluest parts of pretty blue states, and I want to know now - how freaked out do I need to be about living in the South? If being a queermosexual wasn't enough, I'm also not Christian, and think religions are cults. Not that it matters, I respect people's religions, but I had family that moved South and was looked at with five heads whenever responding that they indeed did not belong to a particular church. The place I'm moving has 155 of them, and that's just the one city.

I'm just curious how I'm going to fare. Do I need to be quiet about my orientation? I'm definitely ignorant - but still, if anyone has any first hand information, that would be cool.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot depends on what part of the south. There are some cities that are extremely liberal, others that are pretty backwater. What city/state specifically are you moving to?

3. YeahpIdk

Hey Chip!

I don't want to say the exact city, but I'll be in South Carolina. About an hour outside of Charleston - which I know is a gay mecca, but still. I won't be in Charleston, and I don't understand the South. I'm like, anti-South. Born and raised, haha.

Edit: In case I'm offending anyone with the religious comments. I only keep bringing up Churches because I find that, when they're abundant and as intertwined in a society as they are in the South, condemnation of homosexuality is also abundant and intertwined. So, apologies if the wording is offending anyone. I don't disrespect people's beliefs, unless they believe their beliefs are above others' well-being. :slight_smile:

#3 YeahpIdk, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  4. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    look you can meet homophobic atheists and you can meet loving Christians that would not have a problem with your sexuality. just depends. first thing you need to accept is that not everyone is going to like you and some may very well hate you for your sexuakity. once you understand that you will have to watch your back and watch where you can and cannot be safely out. you dont have to lie but you also dont have to have everyone all up in your business. you dont owe those people nothing but hello and goodbye. feel em out. be safe.

5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Quite frankly it's pretty darn bad where I live, "Georgia". There's about two churches on every road but good luck finding a health clinic or support center that isn't two or three hours away. I hear some other states down here are worse though.

People here are generally hostile towards anyone who doesn't fit their archetype. Christians are the only ones who deserve respect and power, men are in charge of the houses, science is blasphemy, and people like me are freaks. Think of it as a little trip to the past minus the public death by fire. Atlanta is generally much better, though they have a few supremacist/KKK holdouts so I still wouldn't express myself there for their gaze brings trouble.

I'm sure there are intelligent individuals here and there, but it feels like brainpower is practically albinism. In all my years here I have two friends I trust. Others have fled. I don't blame them.

I can understand any bit of worry about coming to these states. I've been planning my escape for years. You'll hear gunshots from time to time, I don't dare venture outside. I just so happen to be the embodiment of everything they hate, gay, female, atheist, scientific, dare I say old school feminist. Somebody like me would draw too much attention. I hide, it's safer.

I'd say only be honest with people when you are absolutely certain of their reaction. They get "shocked" when they find outliers and it can quickly lead to violence. Pick your crowd wisely and don't fall for deceptions. One can speak of "holy mercy" one day and want to stab you the next. Maybe I'm a little paranoid but I've been given plenty of reason to be. Just stay safe.

6. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do stay safe! I'd hate to see anything happen to you, we've become great friends through wall posts.

Are you moving for a job, or are you following family? I would personally hesitate to move further south than Virginia, maybe NC, but that's me. I wish you the best of luck.

7. YeahpIdk

Some may hate me for my sexuality. Whoosh. That is such a scary thought. I guess it's hard to know who to trust anywhere, but where I am now, it would be looked down upon to have a vocal problem with someone for that.

Everything you've said are what my nightmare visions are made of.

Abundant toxic masculinity. Homophobia. Non-Christianphobia. Violence...these things exist where I live, but they're almost microscopic. Potentially just in my particular area. It's not as if there aren't parts of where I live that are a lot more conservative, but I don't live by them or care about frequenting them.

Your post has me a bit freaked out...lol.

I don't want to move. I never thought I would be moving South, EVER. I have to follow family because of unforeseen shitty life events. Hopefully they rectify and I can be on my way West.

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2017 at 06:47 PM ----------

An example of something I'm worried about:

I recently took out a book by Lindsay King-Miller called, Ask a Queer Chick, from my public library. I felt a little weary doing it here, just because it also says, "A Guide to Sex, Love and Life for Girls Who Dig Girls." That last bit...pretty telling. I looked to see if they had that particular book in the public library I'd be using there, and they did (you know, for now, until they burn it along with Huck Finn) - but if I took it out over there, would I have to worry that my name went into some gay registration??

#7 YeahpIdk, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  8. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd lean perhaps toward getting that off Amazon for cheap. Might be safer.

9. YeahpIdk

Too poor! Lol.

10. nyahlove

Stay safe! I live in an old southern county and they don't really ask me too too much about religion. There are tons of homophobic people around though and I feel like they care too much about religion around here and less about the value of human rights. It's pretty messed up if you ask me.

11. YeahpIdk

Everyday I feel more and more suffocated about this. Like I'm about to willingly walk onto hot coals. It's lovely.

12. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ok so y are you moving there if you dont want to?

13. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She has no choice in the matter.

#13 BrookeVL, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  14. afgirl

I live in Mississippi, and it's very southern. I don't live in a city, but a community. I think there are probably about ten churches around here. One gas station, a Subway, a Dollar General, and ten churches...lol

But really, it depends on where you are. I have lived in the deep south for the past 17 years and I'm used to it. There is a great friendliness that you just don't find anywhere else. And....well, things slowly change. I am pretty closeted, and don't anticipate that changing until I am able to move to a larger city in a couple of years. Who knows where I'll end up?

15. YeahpIdk

This.

@afgirl, I would have a severe anxiety attack if I had to move to Mississippi. Hahahahaha. That's too South. In fact, thinking about the Carolinas feels like the north compared to there. I know I probably sound a little ignorant, but no no noooo.

16. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    But remember Stephen Colbert is from South Carolina. There must be some grass-roots good there.

17. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you might have a hard time. The east coast is particularly pro feminist in a lot of areas. Also a bunch of the pro LGBT support and even Pride was hosted by some of the local churches in my area. So if religion freaks you out a lot you might be cut off from some potential support in your area.

My advice for survival is to ask people lots of questions when they say something offensive. About why they believe that, and also about their general lifes. Most of the people in my area never get any news from anything more moderate than Fox News. If you keep talking to them they get to know you and see you as a real person, also you can see that they are not 100% awful most of the time. Not great to have to go through that, but it could also be a chance to make a difference.

18. YeahpIdk

Noted! I guess a lot of cool people are from the South. But they leave it...

Yeah. I think I will have a hard time with the people, religious stuff, and political climate. I've heard some crazy things from family members, and I am way, waaaay less polite than they are. Part of me is worried I'll have problems, not because I'm not straight, but because I'm a woman from the North. I just don't know how rampant toxic masculinity and church life and anti-gay, anti-feminist feelings run over there, and how ingrained they are. Like, if I diss religion, or stand up for LGBTQ+ peoples, will I be in danger? Will it be hard for me to buy a car sans male there? I could be off my rocker, but I'm also not blind to the fact that I've grown up in a liberal bubble all of my life. I live in a blue state, but what's it like to live in a red state all the time? Is it really all that different? Like, what is it like to be in a state that voted for Trump, or around people that majority voted for Trump? I don't know...that is so not my life right now, and it never ever was.

I like what you say about asking questions. Playing dumb a little, maybe. I guess this will be some kind of sociological experiment for me. I don't want to be too judgmental (though I'm probably past that, haha), and want to see what the South's about. Especially since I feel so anti-it.

19. afgirl

Well, work brought me here....from Georgia. It was actually a really big culture shock from there, if that tells you anything. Yes, I think my current situation would be much easier to deal with in a place where I could be myself. And right now, I can't....not so much for me, but for my daughter.

Yeah, IMO North Carolina is "barely" the south. Ha!

20. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry for late reply. I don't know about playing dumb, but I think it has the possibility of being a good experience. Most of the conservatives I talk to live in a very narrow view of the world, and there isn't a lot in their circle to challenge them. When I get to talking, I usually find that we can come to some agreement on most subjects. The really offensive stuff that comes out of their mouths is usually parroted from TV or fake news. They are usually actually really nice people who are genuinely miss informed, or feel held to beliefs their church has told them. In my experience when I want to challenge something they have said instead of telling them they are wrong and awful, I tell them a story about myself or someone I know that relates to the conversation. For example a coworker was talking about how bad immigrants are, specifically Muslims. And I told him that there is a Muslim family that lives in my small town and how close the kids in their class are with them. And that the kids in the class are very protective of them. And how I worry that their mother that I see walking to the store to get them groceries will be attacked. From this he commented back that the kids in the class were doing the right thing and that's how school kids should act. I could tell that he though the story over and saw a little different perspective, and that he saw the kids in a whole class could be hurt from intolerant behavior. I didnt change his mind, but I added a real picture of real people in his mind. From that story you might think he is a awful person, but he also gets up in the middle of the night as a 24/7 on call Red Cross volunteer. He takes supplies to families in need and regularly goes to major disasters all over the country to feed the newly homeless with no compensation. When he does that he doesn't ask what color or religion the people are before he goes out. I feel like if he knew enough real Muslim or immigrant people, he would change his views. People are complicated like that. Let them see who you are, and if they say something awful ask them why. Not an easy thing to do by any measure, but in the long run it's a strength that carries you forward instead of drowning in frustration.