1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valentine's Day cards...and me

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BMC77, Feb 14, 2017.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting experience a few moments ago... Someone posted a comment about some problems with shopping for a suitable Valentine's Day card, and I posted a comment about some of my experiences with card shopping in general.

While crafting my post, I thought perhaps I should have some disclaimer in it that my comments were about cards in general. Another disclaimer: it's been years since I gave a Valentine's Day card. Another disclaimer: the last time I gave a card with a romantic theme was never.

I ended up posting the comment with no disclaimer. Part of me thinks maybe I should have had one, since it adds clarity, although I'm not really sure that the clarity is really needed.

But...on the darker side...I wonder if something else isn't going on... Something like a self esteem/self worth issue. A feeling I don't deserve a relationship. A feeling I don't deserve even casual friends. And by putting in disclaimers about my Valentine's Day card buying habits--or lack of--on a Facebook post, I'm letting the world know that: yes, I know I'm unlovable, and don't deserve even a casual friend!

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Valentines is a commercial day perpetuated by retailers to drive sales. Your overthinking things.