1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feeling maybe fat?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by r2de2baca, Feb 23, 2017.

1. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so I went out to a club and I talked to some guy and when I asked for his phone number he pulled my shirt up to check to see if I had abs (which I dont) and made a face at my stomach's appearance. He had a great body. Now my body is not bad. I am not fat. I work out constsntly but my trouble zone is my stomach. When I stopped drinking it went down significantly. Nobody ever calls me fat in fact they always say "yea right" when I complain about my tummy. You can even see it through clothes and with my new work outs its really getting close to being flat (at least for me) and I was feeling good about the progress I was making. But when he made the "gross face" I felt a little bad. Not because of him but because I want my stomach to look tight. I pulled his shirt up too and it was abs galore. Anyway he was a douchbag. No problem but it did make me feel bad about my body for teo reasons:

1. I felt guilty over the drinks knowing that it will make my stomach fat. I felt guilty for the tacos and burger I ate that night. Almost like I was being bad and should punish myself.

2. I get self conscious thinking that no guy will want me because i have a lil gut. I dont want to be seen naked in fromt of a guy because of this or until my body is perfect. Sometimes I dont feel good enough in the gay world.

3. A few close friends say I suffer from body dsymorphia. I tend to agree. Like right now my plan is to do a binge work out to punish myself for the drinks and bad food. I feel shame that I messed up my goals.

2. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please, please - FORGET THIS JERK. No one should ever treat another person like this. He clearly has his own issues and does not truly deserve you.

Patrick

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those struggling to fully accept themselves, get over shame and internalised homophobia, a result could be a negative self image (emotional as well as physical).

The only person that needs to love their body is themselves. To love your body, you need to love yourself.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always like it when someone saves you the trouble of spending time and emotional energy finding out whether they're an asshole or not and instead just flat out tells you that they are in fact an asshole.

He's an asshole, not worth the thought you've already given him.

5. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We as gay or bi men are under such body image tyranny from within the community. This is really sad. Often those perfect bodies are a compensation for shame and rejection of sexual self.

I eat well and work out to stave off aging as well as I can, and of course I want to be attractive. But, at 44 I will never look like a 20-something "gym rat" - nor should I. I want to love my body, stay healthy, and be attractive in my own way.

Find what self love and attractiveness are for you individually. Working out and caring for self is awesome, if done in the right context.

Really, I pity that guy at the bar who insulted you - can you imagine the way he must hurt inside to say those things? How sad. Still, you just don't do those things period.

Patrick

6. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well that wasnt the first time it has happened. guys at the gay bars here have patted my stomach like i was santa claus. keep in mind that you CANNOT even notice I have a stomach at all and my straight friends laugh at me when I say I need to lose weight. They all say "from where?" I know the club people just wanna hookup so outer beauty is the only thing valued but are all attractive gay men such doucehbags? well im not so there are other out there im sure. this guy was cute but honestly i looked wayyy better than him but he had the body. im not even into bodies. i did meet an older attractive guy that had a visble stomach and we exchanged contacts and hopefully will hang out. hopefully he doesnt want to screw. one guy from there already messaged me asking if i wanted to be fuck buddies. inguess he didnt mind my stomach lol. i dont want to be fuck buddies so he is cancelled.

but yea i mean i do like working out and I was really impressed with my shrinking gut. I bought some 34 waist jeans last year and they are already too big. but alas i also can sometimes look gaunt in the face due to the work outs and my knee hurts.

i could be over doing it. i dont really love myself. i use clothes and working out to help me be confident but really i feel worthless and not sure how to feel 100percent.

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2017 at 04:01 PM ----------

actually Pat i look better now than i ever did in my 20s. i gym rat myself out of boredom and to shamlessly oogle hot guys. i know its sad but it does help my body in the process. but when i bit into that cheeseburger and downed the vodka /soda combo it was like i was raging against the system that tells me i have to watch every calorie and avoid fried foods and bread. also after that turd insulted me infelt like gee why even try, ill never be good enough for these gays so why not just enjoy the fat and calories. ive heard of velevet rage but is there french fry rage too?

7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you are in very good shape, so it's BS that you need to apologize for not having the body fat of an elite athlete.

If you are in very good shape and eat healthy on a regular basis, your system can handle a 1-time binge, so love yourself and skip the punitive workout. If you workout to counteract an unhealthy diet, that might be a different story.

If I were you, I would target guys who care more about you as a person rather than some jerk who is looking for ridiculously low body fat.

#7 SiennaFire, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  8. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Early, forgive yourself for the burger and hop back on the wagon tomorrow. Just don't let the wagon burn!

Dean

#8 johndeere3020, Feb 23, 2017
  9. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't take care of myself in my 20s at all, and boy do I cringe at the sight of those photos! Youth is wasted on the young. I easily look better and I'm more alive today than I was then.

Today in my 40s I like how I look in fitted clothes, I feel confident to date, I get compliments, and I feel okay with myself. There's always that bit that I want to change (belly fat that just won't go away) but i don't think it's eating me up inside. I do have a problem with binging on sugar though, and that's stress/emotional in reaction to everyday stuff not about my sexuality.

What I'm working on lately is accepting my age while at the same time challenging myself to really find out what kind of workout (and life) I'm capable of. I was never good at sports in school so I think this is my way of finding out what that athleticism feels like. It feels really good! I also am very aware of the link between sedentary life and depression so my workouts are also for mental health.

You sound really awesome. You are taking good care of yourself and I don't really get a sense of body dysmor-whatever at all. For the fitness goals you describe I say great.

Gay clubs always intimidate me and I honestly don't find much reason to be there unless I'm going with friends. Have you thought of volunteering, joining a social club, getting active outdoors, etc. to meet gay men outside the bars? My best friends (and a few boyfriends) came my way "in passing" socially.

At any rate, you've got a lot going for you, and it sounds pretty healthy to me.

Patrick

10. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    aww thanks man. you really pumped me up (no pun intended). I have tried the non gay club thing. honestly i hate to say it but the guys there are just so "out" for me and a bit camp. its cool and all but im not really either (kinda out) and not camp ( i can play up a good camp tho for kicks but thats not my thing). the more out and comfy guys seem i have found myself to be less attracted to them but they skew so far from the "straight" guys I actually like and crush on. its not a bash against out and camp guys. i just wish guys that were straight would be the same kinda guys at these type of events. however in the bar and club world i tend to find more butch eye candy but candy rots your teeth as usually these people are poison or toxic. so do inforce myself to like guys romantically im not into or do i keep putting myself in the situation where i meet these losers. is there a happy medium somewhere?

i also find myself acting in camp sometimes as a way to deal with camp in the club. i definitely thinking im doing it as a mocking sort of way alothough nobody may now it. its my homophobia that im working to resolve.

i sucked at sports like you as a kid so the gay sports leagues are out of the question for me. i do want to volunteer tho. i want to help others and maybe help myself in the process.

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be direct, your post is filled with shame! "I am not really either (kinda out)", guys are "too out for me" and "a bit camp", and "I just wish guys that were straight" are all statemeets reflecting your inability to accept yourself and a deep struggle with homophobia. You say others in clubs are "losers", "poison" and "toxic"; the reality is, with all the hate you just reflected, your statements would suggest your exactly one of the those people.

I know this might sting a bit what I just typed, but you need to face up to your own internal demons, accept this is where you are, so you can then work on yourself properly.

When LGBT communicate such self hatred as you just did in this post, it's an embarressement to the entire LGBT community whom seek acceptance, love and equality.

You have a lot to think about.

#11 OnTheHighway, Feb 23, 2017
  12. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand the focusing in on one body part thing as you are with your stomach--and trying to 'fix it.' And thinking--if only my stomach (or whatever thing it is) was flatter, more toned, more of six pack things would be so much better!

I learned something about this sort of thing and not too long ago. I always struggled with acne. Not severe, but I had cystic acne, so when I did break out it was BIG. Really was a psychological struggle for me. And always trying to cover it up, comparing my skin to others.. Always thinking -- if only my face cleared up things would be fine! I would be so much more confident and happy! That would be all I need to make things right!

Well about two years ago my face cleared up (yes--at this late age!). Cleared up TOTALLY. (Maybe some hormonal shift or something!).

And you know what? My clear complexion didn't become the holy grail or the key to happiness I thought it would be. Far from it. My internal feelings about myself DIDN'T change--I still struggled with confidence issues, the 'not loving myself' feeling. Realized all along it wasn't about the acne at all...not really. Had much more to do with my internal feelings about me. That's what I should have been addressing---and fortunately now I am.

That said, FOR SURE that guy at the club sounds like a complete idiot, and pretty full of himself!!!

13. Smile44

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This guy at least did you one favor. He showed you how much of a jerk he is, so now you can move on and not have to put him in your list of "why the hell did I go there for". He is not a good person because he should no better, which he probably does and he did that anyway. He is a mean individual. Enough about him. Love yourself first and then no one can make you feel like that again. I'm 198 pounds plus 2 more pounds. I desire to loose weight and I'm coming up with a plan that is good for me. In the mean time, I love myself and if another person don't like me, then that is fine because to each their own and I keep it moving. I love sending myself messages on my own cell phone that are positive. I usually forget I left myself the message and when I hear the loving, supportive, uplifting message of love I sent to myself, it makes me smile. So again, love yourself and what others say or do will roll off your back and not affect you at all. Good Luck!!!

#13 Smile44, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2017
  14. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say I agree with your friends. I think there's reasonable fitness goals and then there are patterns that are just reinforcing problems that are actually mental. I used to work out pretty obsessively and I used to be the first guy to peel his shirt off as he went out onto the dance floor. And it was nice but it was so much work. And for me ironically it really wasn't healthy. And if you feel the need to punish yourself for eating it's not healthy for you either.

It's ridiculous to think that no guy will want you because you have a bit of a gut. The world is full of gay guys with guts and adoring boyfriends. It just is. And from what you've written my guess is you're in a little better shape than I am and I feel totally comfortable in gay clubs. Yeah, there are probably guys whose eyes pass over me for someone who's younger or more muscular but I don't really know, it doesn't really affect me. The fact of the matter is that I have a good time and I meet nice people, fun people, and yeah some of them are hot too. And when it's all done if we want we can go out for burgers...

The world's just bigger than you're allowing it to seem. I hope someday you can see that. I'm rooting for you.

15. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And of course the confidence that comes from self acceptance and loving yourself is very attractive. When you are really okay with yourself you'll have ease with others and you'll attract what you want into your life.

Personally I'm seeing the effects of internalized homophobia, shame, and anger in my 40s and working through these. Those bring negative outcomes and tend to close off new possibilities.

Whatever you're thinking or feeling right now is the seed that will grow into reality in the future. Don't let that seed be internalized homophobia or anger.

Patrick

16. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What you are not going to do is come on here and shame me for having shame. I mean really, Wtf? I am just trying to be honest about where I am in my process and where I honestly want to get to and since thats not good enough for you you want to throw daggers? How in the fuck are you trying to help me by trying tearing me down. Epic fail. Do me a favor and save your "advice". If I needed someone to kick me when I am down I will private message you.

Sure I have a lot to work on. Thats why my ass is even on here. I never camp-bashed anyone and there are tons of guys that cant relate to a more camp and out environment. Duhhh thats why we are on here trying to get help. I am being honest about where I am with my homophobia and how I am trying to affect change. So suddenly after 40 years of closeted living I am supposed to act like that has not impacted the way I think and Im supposed to be skipping down the rainbow brick road like Im as right as rain? I hope this stings because your comments directed at me were horrible. You need to sweep around your own front door and deal with the issues and mistakes in your own life and the ones you have created in other people's lives before you come for me. Not today baby!

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2017 at 09:49 AM ----------

And another thing. Dont even throw the lgbt "community" comment in my face. I have watched the so-called community discriminate against and flat out ignore those that are ethnic minorities and not white, laugh at people who are overweight, make racists remarks about people based on their race. sexualize and fetishize people based on racial sterotypes and the list goes on and on so if you want to call me a hater and an embarrassment because I simply said I wasnt comfortable with camp but working on it and working on my issues then you also need to call our beloved so called "community" out for all the discrimation that it dishes out constantly for people that dont fit the idealized "racial" and "physical" desired looks. I would say systematically discrimating against people by an already discriminated group is more of an embarrassment than someone being honest about their issues and working hard to solve them. You sicken me.

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2017 at 09:57 AM ----------

thanks Ogs, pat. moonsparkle and smile44...i agree that I do need to Love myself more. I do think that even if I had perfect abs I probably would feel bad inside until I work out my own issues. That is what I am going to work on. OGD it think you are right...it takes a lot of work to maintain some hot bod and eventually it goes away anyway. I think I am doing good for my age and will just try and improve without killing myself to reach some crazy standard of beauty. I think guys like that are troubled inside in many ways. I am going yo work on being healthy and loving myself. I am a bit disappointed though in some of the early comment here attacking me. It doesnt feel like a safe place to share how I feel or what I am going through without being attacked and demonized for pretty common normal thoughts and issues that closeted gay men face. Doesnt make me feel safe to share. I thought this was supposed to be where you can get help not more drama and attacks. well thanks for the help yiu guys have provided. thanks everyone and best wishes.

#16 r2de2baca, Feb 24, 2017
  17. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I said, the comments were going to sting. And despite what you think, I was not shaming you for the sake of shaming. I was highlighting the obvious from what everyone read of your comments on this thread and putting it back to you in a way to make sure my points on your shame and homophobia sinks in. Based on your reaction, the objective was met.

You are on here to improve yourself. Doing so means you may not like everything you hear. And when that happens, take a step back, reflect, let it sink in. Then figure out for yourself what you need to do to move on.

#17 OnTheHighway, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  18. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Speak for yourself. Not "everyone" said the things you said. I have indeed moved on...moved on from your comments. Take several seats and back up off me bro.

#18 r2de2baca, Feb 24, 2017
  19. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #19 OnTheHighway, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  20. r2de2baca