1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost 30 and questioning my gender / sexualily.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by faechild, Feb 24, 2017.

1. faechild

Hello. I wasn't sure where to post this, so I hope posting it here is okay!

As mentioned in the title (which I made a typo in. Thanks, phone), I am almost 30 years old and for the last few years, I have been questioning my gender. Which always results in one big giant ???? until I begin to think about it again, as I have been doing as of late.

I was born female but have never really identified as female. But yet I do not feel wholly male either. I feel... nothing, I suppose you could say, in regards to my gender. I could care less about it.

In the online community, I highly prefer they/them pronouns and use a nickname as opposed to my real name. And I enjoy this.

However, in real life, I want to move away from she/her and default to they/them and overall being..
    neutral about my gender.

Which leads me to my conundrum: I have no idea what I am? I don't necessarily need a label, per se. But I am tired of just coming up with a shrug every time I try to think of an answer as to who/what I am.

As for my sexuality -- I have been out as bisexual since I was a teenager, but recently stumbled across pansexuality and I feel that it suits me better.
    Is it... okay to change your sexuality after years of thinking/believing you knew what it was? ;;

...Any input would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you for your time.

#1 faechild, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2017
  2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on being out as bi for so long! You've done great, I wish I had done that much earlier.

I think bi and pan have a lot of overlap. I am bisexual. I actually figured it out when I was a freshman in college in 1987 by walking to the student library and reading textbooks on human sexuality until I found it. Yep, "bisexual," that's me. LOL. Old school research for sure, but there was no one I could talk to back then and no Internet.

So I've kept the label bisexual for myself. Having read the definition of pan, I could be that too. I'm sticking with bi, though. Whichever you feel more comfortable with, go with. They're pretty closely related.

I don't have input on your gender question, but hopefully there are some helpful folks around here who can help out. Be you, be awesome!

3. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lots of people here never acknowledged they were gay until their forties or fifties - and many were in heterosexual marriages. I denied I was gay all my life.
    So yes it's ok! It's not only ok that's why we're all here!

4. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can completely relate to the gender identity part. I'm AFAB, but recognized recently at 30 that I've never had any real connection to it, but I also don't connect with being male. I know for as long as I can remember I've had some dysphoria about my breasts and was always glad I have a smaller chest, while most girls were talking about wishing theirs' were bigger. I've started dressing more masculinely and absolutely love it, but I still haven't landed on a good label or decided if I really care. I don't have a problem with she/her pronouns and feel they/them are awkward, so I don't foresee myself changing those, but I have noticed that it slightly bugs me or just seems off putting to be called Miss...but the neutral term seems weird too, especially since a majority of my day I'm referred to as Miss by my co-workers to the 4-5 year old children with autism we work with, so it would totally throw the kids off. As for the sexuality part too, from everything I've read/seen it seems completely normal to either use bi/pan interchangeably or that people have previously identified as bi can easily accept the pan label as I think more awareness to other genders has become more prevalent. I'm still new to recognizing accepting I'm not straight, I realized that about 2 years ago. I've debated if I am pan, but have only fleeting/brief experiences of sexual attraction to men and think that when i do it's more a comfort thing as that is what i know and have experienced, not that I'm actually attracted. I really wish there was a way for someone to just scan my brain and figure out what i am lol. I think you have a good attitude and understanding of who you are and should feel free to use the labels that feel best to you :slight_smile:

5. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 41. I've always identified as lesbian until recently. Now I look back I realise I've always been uncomfortable with it. However until recently I hadn't realised there was so much more in the spectrum.

Firstly after lots of googling I realised I was non-binary/agender. I've always felt disconnected from my biological gender however I knew I was not trans. I don't feel any gender.

Sex to me has always been about feeling wanted rather than the actual act. Therefore I realised I was asexual. I'm not sexually attracted to women but once the party's started (so to speak) I can go with the flow.

And from an early age I've never wanted to have sex with a man (cos no offence guys but what you have down there is really unappealing to me) so I have reasoned that I am gyneromantic.

I started to feel better knowing the truth at last however I don't know how to tell my friends and family and it's been over a decade since I've had any format of relationship with a woman and thanks to my depression and fear I can't help but wonder who would want someone who is not sexually attracted to them.

I don't think there's any right time or age for self awareness however I do feel that the fact that sites like this and the information now available online is helping people who feel lost find their way

6. irenerheflin

I would like to share my experience with you. I never showed any feminine nature even though I was born as a girl. In my teenage itself, I started realizing that my physical appearance was not matching with my inner feelings. I was in a relationship with my best friend for about five years. I always wanted to be a man and have undergone FTM procedure in Mississauga. Last month she moved into my apartment and we are happy together. Recently I have read some interesting real life stories of transgenders ( Four Inspiring Transgender Love Stories | FTM Top Surgery ). These stories motivated me to love my life.