1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Homosexual" label.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by findingjoy, Feb 25, 2017.

1. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like most people I prefer the gay label but during this coming out process, I have often said to myself "look you're a homosexual' not in a demeaning way but I felt the need to accept that label too- that I am a man who can only find intimacy and love with another man and who is only really sexually aroused by having sex with other men.

For me it helped answer questions "Why do I see that woman as beautiful but I don't get aroused or have fantasies- look it's because you're a homosexual" "Why is it so easy to get aroused thinking about men - because you are a homosexual"

Any one else experience this?

2. Teach1

Teach1 Guest

During our therapy before my divorce, the therapist referenced my "homosexuality" many times. She never referred to me as a homosexual, but her use of homosexuality helped me put in perspective that I can only be romantically and sexually attracted to men. So I, in a way, know where you are coming from.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not see "homosexual" as a label in the same way I see "gay", "Queer" or "bi" as a label. Homosexuality defines whom I am, being gay labels whom I am. I am fine with either.

4. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me gay seems to somehow be PC term for sexual attraction. I much prefer homosexual as it is more descriptive at least to me of my attraction. Homosexual and proud!

5. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see homosexuality/homosexual as clinical terms relating to sexual orientation vis-à-vis heterosexuality/heterosexual and bisexuality/bisexual. I also see homosexual as an anachronistic label for gay, often used by people who express some degree of contempt towards homosexuals. As such, I prefer the label gay.

#5 SiennaFire, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like homosexual. It sounds too clinical to me. It also seems to be a word used by LGBT haters.

I don't like gay particularly. Gay was an ugly label when I was young. But I like the word much better than homosexual, which is why I use it.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Among my pool of friends, we use "poof", "fag", "gay" and "homo" (and sometimes "flaming 'mo") pretty interchangeably. (we don't take ourselves too seriously.) "Poof" is sort of the initial go-to. I do think that "homosexual" sounds a little clinical. There are circumstances where I might use it -- such as what teach1 was describing -- but otherwise, probably not.

8. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer the label gay too, but I think used homosexual to myself during coming out 'self talk' to do just that- help understand, in clinical terms, a homosexual.

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2017 at 08:19 AM ----------

yes this is why I used it in myself talk. I needed to understand this.