1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spoke with my cousin.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Zen fix, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So far the only people I had come out to was my therapist and my wife well over a year ago. I've really struggled since then about how much further I should come out. I didn't know if there was much value in coming out to anyone else and have worried that it would somehow reflect negatively on me or even my wife. People assume a lot of weird shit about bisexuals.

So now I feel like there is some value in it although I struggle to put into words in what way. Not sure exactly where to start or how the few family I would like to tell would react. I recalled that my cousin had made some comment about being bisexual years ago but I don't know her super well and wasn't sure as to what the context of that revelation was or if it was even true. This evening I called her. Asked her if I remembered correctly and if that were true and then I told her that I was as well.

Her response was overwhelmingly positive. She said that she almost felt like crying because I shared this with her. Wow. Didn't expect that response.

It's nice to get a boost. :icon_bigg

2. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think that you should just out and say it. It doesn't seem like you are completely eager to come out but you think you should. I think you should be casual about it and just out with it next time you are with your family.

3. Yasha of XMETAS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I felt the same way when I was discovering my gender identity, because my cousin was FTM as well. So I could have someone to talk to about this, share experiences, and someone in my family to understand. Someone who had opened the gateway where coming out is way easier. Funny how that kind of thing works isn't it, but it does work out for the best. I'm really happy for you, and hope you and your cousin can be closer now. :slight_smile: Good luck!

4. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's really cool that you took the risk to contact this cousin(based on your memory of her mentioning she was bi), even though you do not know her that well. It sounds like it was a positive and supportive conversation! As I have learned in my own journey, sometimes support can come from people who are not necessarily the ones closest to us.

Hopefully you and your cousin will continue to talk!:slight_smile:

5. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks!
    I have considered this. Feels weird though. I'm a bisexual in a long-term monogamous relationship. I didn't figure anything out until years into it. So for me to come out sort of feels like I'm just saying to everyone "hey all. Good to see you. BTW FYI ICYMI I'm attracted to men as well as women." I think people would rightly feel that was inappropriate to bring up out of the blue. So, no I won't be doing it that way.
    I think the best way to do it is to selectively tell those close family who I would like to know this. If my situation changed then the way I come out would change.