1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought of the day

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Mar 16, 2017.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While having a discussion with another EC member, I recalled a quote between Armand (played by Robin Williams) and his son Val (played by Dan Futterman) from the movie Bird Cage that really resonated with me when I initially watched it while living in the closet; and is now even more powerful as I look back on my journey:

"Yes, I wear foundation. Yes, I live with a man. Yes, I'm a middle- aged fag. But I know who I am, Val. It took me twenty years to get here, and I'm not gonna let some idiot senator destroy that. F--k the senator, I don't give a damn what he thinks."

This is a place we all should strive to get to - being able to say to everyone and anyone "I don't give a damn what he thinks"!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. TBD

TBD

Yes, a healthy self love and acceptance seems to be the biggest take away from coming out.

4. CameOutSwinging

First of all, I LOVE the Birdcage and have since I first saw it when it came out when I was 13 years old. Never grow tired of it!

Second, I spent my entire hour in therapy today talking about how I'm so far from the place of being able to say "I don't care what everyone else thinks" and my therapist said if nothing else, that's the real goal of what we are working on. Not figuring out sexuality or whatever else. Getting to a place where I do things because they make me happy and not because I'm trying to please anybody else. It was kind of empowering to hear that.

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, Yes, Yes!

Reaching that point of no longer caring what anyone else thinks of me was the turning point. I'm now out to everyone, including Facebook, and I couldn't be happier about that.

Thanks for the thoughtful post - and I love that movie! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

6. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a nice thought and a state I am striving towards.