1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my fantasy revealing about my sexuality or not?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Peterpangirl, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On the suggestion of another member I am starting a new thread.

I have a perplexing fantasy. I suppose it is what people would call a fetish. I am highly embarrassed by it, and until very recently I would go so far as to say I was ashamed of it - so I told nobody, ever. It is, in fact the exclusive and constant fantasy that I have always used in order to pleasure myself. Basically if I imagine myself in a scenario as a very masculine, assertive man having sex with one or more women it does it for me...However, in real life I present as a fairly feminine woman (dress, some makeup but not into nails or heels). I do not question my gender, but I do question my sexuality. I won't go into how this midlife questioning started because I have already gone on about it in various other threads, most recently pretty much summarised in the thread "My greatest fear" in which I explain why I am questioning.

Does this fantasy tell me anything or nothing about my sexual orientation?

#1 Peterpangirl, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2017
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Peterpangirl,

Thanks for sharing! Those are intense thoughts but nothing to be embarrassed about. I personally am not a therapist so I can not provide any professional advice. However, you may want to consider exploring these fantasies with a properly trained therapist. Whether it is a question of sexuality or gender, it certainly is worth diving in and understanding.

Hopefully there are others on EC with similar expriences that might be able to provide more insight or guadance.

In the meantime, I hope your able to find the answers your looking for - without shame or embarrassment!

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I copied your comments from the other thread.

Sexual orientation is based on one's sexual and romantic attractions. If you have physical or romantic attraction to other women, then by definition you are capable of feeling both attractions. People early in the coming out process usually have shame and internalized homophobia that make it difficult to express their sexuality fully. Over time as you purge the shame and internalized homophobia you will develop the ability to fully express your sexual and romantic attractions. It appears that you have attraction towards other women. Perhaps looking at the Kinsey scale might help you figure out whether you are bisexual or gay.

The following is my personal experience and should not be construed as a generalized statement. When I first came out, I felt very homoromantic, that is, my desire to have emotional and romantic connections with guys drove my decision to come out and it took me time to get comfortable with the sexual aspects. Most guys are the opposite (comfortable with the sexual not so much with emotional). It sounds like you might be in a similar place (stronger emotional attraction). In time the sexual attraction will catch up big time :slight_smile: as you work on healing the shame and internalized homophobia.

HTH

4. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi peterpangirl,

Like OTH said, there's nothing to be ashamed by in your fantasies. I'm interested in asking some questions, so I can try to help you think about this fantasy and what it means.

You say in these fantasies you imagine yourself as a masculine assertive man; can you try to be specific about what it is about that fantasy that turns you on? Obviously only share what's comfortable for you. Is it the feeling of being assertive and perhaps dominant? Is it something specific to being a man? Is it related to having male physical body or genitals? Is it being with women that turns you on?

You mentioned that you don't question your gender but you do question your sexuslity. Do you mean this in general terms or are you saying that this fantasy is one thing that prompts you to question your sexuality?

I myself have found some confusion in my own sense of gender and sexuality. For me though my gender expression and my sexuality in real life are both parallel to my fantasies.

(I consider myself genderqueer, and I've always suspected I should have been born into a male body) What's been confusing for me is that my feelings about my own gender have often made me feel drawn to men's bodies. I have mistaken that for attraction, but in truth it's a reflection on how I see myself. St this point I can see that fascination with men's bodies is about my own gender and but in terms of my sexuality i cam finally acknowledge that it's women that I desire and need and want.

I'm not sure if any of this helps you think, but I wanted to give you my experience in how gender and sexuality have overlapped for me.

5. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Baristejedi, you have given me a lot to think about.

I think I find the idea of having male genitalia and feeling aroused as a man to be - of itself, arousing. I think there is a small part of me that wants to behave as a male. This dates back to my earliest memories: I was a daydreamer who enjoyed having long hair and making up fairy fantasies with my girl friends on the one hand and this part of me identified sonewhat with stereotypical girl things. On the otherhand I felt very at home playing rough games with the boys, including pretending to use guns and using an actual bow and arrows my Dad made me. I once got into trouble for persuading some younger children - boys (including my brother) to jump a ditch. I still remember the sheer joy of it and the pleasure of getting thoroughly muddy. I think I was also enjoying the unaccustomed flavour of power. As a girl and later as a woman I have never seen myself as a natural leader - but on that day I was. And it was met with disapproval by my Mum's friend - I ate a subdued tea in shame faced silence and I never led those boys into mischief again. Although people have always told me that my appearance is feminine, as a child and adolescent I was - several times - cast as a man or boy in school plays. This began with me being chosen to play the role of Peter Pan, when I was 6. I was not very keen on my teacher at the time, as she nicknamed me "the daydreamer" (I was!) and I was a little afraid of her. So I can remember having ambivalent feelings about this - on the one hand I had wanted to be Tinkerbell, but when my Mum pointed out that I had the lead part and made me a beautiful green costume I grew into it and kind of felt like me.

Back to me feelings on maleness: I have always envied men the ability to pee standing up - I would love to be able to do that against a tree. Sexually, I envy men's ability to have an erection as an obvious result of being aroused and the fact that from where I stand, it seems dead easy as a man to orgasm. I also envy that most men are physically stronger than women, in terms of being able to lift things. I'd like to be able to splay my legs apart when sitting and burp after a beer, without being considered coarse. . Other that, I enjoy many things about being a woman - I have more choice of clothes, it is socially entirely mainstream to change my appearance with makeup, I enjoyed carrying my babies inside me when I was pregnant and liked my bumps, I felt a sense of satisfaction when I finally had success with breastfeeding, I am glad it is easier as a woman to have "touchy feely" conversations with other women (whereas men often touch base by talking about sport or factual stuff). So in many ways I feel very female.

To return to my fantasy - yes I do like the very idea of looking through the eyes of a man at an attractive woman and I do get turned on quickly if I am in the role of that man, in a way that I don't if I imagine being a woman (myself or another woman) with another woman or man. Basically I do not find the idea of myself with someone else at all arousing. However, when I got very strong feelings for a particular woman last year I suddenly - seemingly out of nowhere - felt very comfortable with the idea of kissing, caressing, being playful with and actively pleasuring this person - as me, not in role - in a way that I have never been able to envisage with anyone else ever in my fantasies. I also felt comfortable with the words "make love to" as opposed to "have sex with" in a way that I had never felt before. However, though the thoughts of being with this woman turn me on, I feel guilty for thinking that way of her, so I always resort to imagining myself as a man with a non-specific woman if I feel the need to get so turned on that I will orgasm.

#5 Peterpangirl, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2017
  6. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sienna Fire - yes, the emotional and romantic attraction seems to be driving me forward towards other women right now...the physical aspect of my attraction to other women has only risen to my consciousness this past year or so and the thought that I may never get to experience "making love with" as opposed to "having sex with" someone makes me sad...

7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that you must feel vulnerable and uncertain right now. The good news is that you are in a better place than you realize.

• You recognize that you have strong romantic attractions for other women.
    • You have been vulnerable and shared your fantasy, which is providing clues about your sexuality and gender identification. Doing things that are uncomfortable (such as sharing your fantasy) are an important part of self acceptance as they expand your comfort zone.
    • You are in the process of separating already for reasons unrelated to your sexuality.
    Since you are separating already, I would suggest not coming out as part of the separation process as that might introduce unnecessary confusion. If you have an extended separation process, that might require a different tack.

Once you separate from your husband, I would use that as an opportunity to start dating women. In the meantime, you probably want to continue to learn and share your thoughts on EC.

#7 SiennaFire, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  8. afgirl

It may very well be. We can suppress things so far down inside us that we don't really even know it's happening. This site is great for getting advice, as you can probably see. If you have anyone you can reach out to personally, I'm sure it would be a great help. As someone in her 40s who's still trying to figure out everything about myself, I can attest that we just move forward in life they way we think we're supposed to go. I wish I would have been able to come to terms with my situation years ago.

9. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, my H knows about me being in the process of coming out and we also agree that this has contributed to the breakdown of our marriage, although I feel that there are other factors that have contributed, that my H prefers to put less weight on, as compared with me, but then I cannot deny that it feels like a factor. Unfortunately the marriage was not in a great place before all this kicked off, or perhaps it all kicked off because it was not in a great place: it is a chicken and egg situation. So a few people already know that I consider I am not straight - my brother, my sister-in-law, and H's parents, as well as a couple of close friends. But I cannot bring myself to share this with my parents. I cannot find the words. I fear that they will not understand or won't believe that my feelings are real. Some days I still have difficulty myself accepting my feelings. I am experiencing a lot of grief, sadness and loss about the various aspects of what is happening right now. At the same time I get moments of feeling lighter and more whole as a person. Then I feel guilty for feeling that "wholeness" when all the while I am incurring pain on others by not being able to make the marriage work. But I don't seem to be able to find the right feelings to stay married. I no longer feel like I am the same woman. I don't feel like dating anyone either. I am not over my marriage and I am not over her. It is as if I can neither force back the things that I have fallen out of Pandora's Box or fit the lid back on it.

#9 Peterpangirl, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2017
  10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are definitely going through a difficult phase - you are grieving the loss of your marriage and probably the loss of your heterosexuality as well. Perhaps seeing a therapist would help, if you don't already have one. A therapist with LGBT experience in particular might help.

If it's any comfort, what you are going through is typical for somebody who is exiting a marriage while questioning their sexuality. It seems that you have guilt and shame as well, both about your sexuality and the ending of your marriage. Regardless of whether you are gay or bisexual, you need to work on overcoming the shame of not being straight. Here are some of the things that I did to overcome my shame - Healing the shame of being gay.

Regarding your marriage and the guilt of letting others down, I think that you also need to consider yourself in the equation. Your marriage is not bringing you happiness, and it's OK to be a little selfish (in a good way as in assertive) by wanting to discover your authentic self. It's not your fault that you are not straight - you were born this way and society has bombarded you with messages that it's not OK to be different in this way. You have received bad programming, and it's time to unlearn and undo the damage (*hug*)

PS - You have not opened Pandora's Box, for that suggests something evil or dark (that's the shame and internalized homophobia talking). You have opened something, let's call it a door, that allows you to access, explore, and discover your authentic self.

#10 SiennaFire, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  11. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, Sienna Fire. I will continue to work on self acceptance and gradually shedding the shame of not being heterosexual and will look at your link on shame. Thank you for taking the time to post. I feel shame about not being successful in my marriage, it is true, as well as about my sexuality.