1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just so Lonely Sometimes

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Zen fix, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Since coming out to my wife well over a year ago things have been difficult to say the least. It really threw her for a loop and the problems we had prior seem to have compounded. There is not much discussion about any of it. From my side it seems like she couldn't get the answers she needed so has shut down. There were a few comments that make me think she got information elsewhere and just filled the vacuum with whatever.

It's very frustrating because while I never went outside our relationship and recommitted myself to the marriage she seems to think/wish I were gay and/or cheating so that there would be an easy excuse to end it. The couple times she asked me if I were and I confirmed that I was bisexual she appeared disappointed. Similar response to cheating. I admitted that I struggled with the temptation but had never acted on it. She poured the pressure on and over time seemed frustrated that I hadn't cheated. I can really only guess at all this based on a few vague comments, body language and the general state of things.

I can't bring anything up even in a gentle manner because "it's too much pressure." in trying to do something I go through bouts of trying really hard to infuse some life into this relationship then when there's no response I get tired and then lonely. Then angry, at myself mostly. And eventually I circle back to give it another try knowing that my efforts will be insufficient. I can pull back and watch myself doing this ridiculous dance and just wonder WTF I'm hoping will happen. It feels like she doesn't want the relationship but isn't willing to pull the plug if I haven't made some huge fuckup.

I don't really know what to do other than keep trying. Not being accepted on even a small level by someone I love so much and have shared much of my life with is tough. And with everything else we have going on that's not even near the top of the list of things I can work on right now. Damn.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why are you waiting for her? Why not be proactive and take action yourself? Are you sure its love that is keeping you with her, or is it maybe fear? Fear of starting over, fear of living your life the way your supposed to live it? She obviously wants to move on, but does not want to make the first move, so why not do it instead?

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If memory serves, your marriage had other issues before the question of your sexuality was added to the mix. Are you making progress on the other issues?

My recommendation is to grab the bull by the horns. This may require that you push through the boundary of gentle pressure and act decisively. She needs to engage in constructive dialog or get off the pot. You deserve better, so take the lead in either improving the relationship or dissolving it.

4. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe. Tough to tell at this point.

5. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why then do you persevere in this marriage? Why is getting a crumb of acceptance from her so important to you? The fact that you can observe yourself in this infinite loop that leaves you feeling lonely is a great first step. You know that your approach is not working, isn't it time for a fresh start and different approach?

6. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like you both are waiting for each other to make a decision.

7. darkbulan

it sounds that the relationship isn't healthy for you both anymore. adding to finding solutions to your previous problems, unless she's able to truly accept who you are and cast the doubt aside, this will always linger on her. this could possibly be a recurring problem for you two. maybe some time apart could give you both the answers you need. it may lead you back to each other or it may not. either way, you get your answer.

8. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Zen Fix

Have you tried a marriage counselor?

9. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not staying here hoping for a little acceptance. I love her and we've worked hard to build our family and life. It's definitely worth going through this if it can be saved. I just never realized what true loneliness was.

Yup

10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but you are getting little acceptance let alone preservation of what you've worked so hard to build. If saving your marriage is what you truly want and value, then you need to continue fighting for it. I know that you have been fighting for it, which has led to loneliness.

All emotion pain comes from resistance to what is and at some level your loneliness stems from your resistance to what is real. It's clear that your current approach isn't productive and leads to bouts of loneliness. Why continue to use the same approach that has proven ineffective? I'm not suggesting that you give up if you want to save the marriage (though that might be the ultimate outcome and starting down that path might even be a useful forcing function to generate authentic dialog with your wife).

Your story reminds me of the poem Autobiography in Five Short Chapters.

#10 SiennaFire, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  11. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Sienna and the others who responded. I truly appreciate the thoughts. I hate being a complainer but it is really getting to me this week.

12. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Zen fix
    My heart goes out to you. I hope you are able to move forwards soon. Being in a sort of limbo is so hard, I know.

13. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are not a complainer--you are here seeking to share your feelings and get support. Expressing your feelings around all this is important, even if it is to an online community.

My heart goes out to you too. I remember that the loneliness I felt inside my marriage was much worse than the loneliness I can feel at times now.

At this point you can't bring anything up with your wife as it is 'too much pressure.' You two are not emotionally connecting right now. That is a lonely place. You ask yourself WTF you are doing, doing this ridiculous dance and wondering what you hope will happen. My guess is what you hope will happen is that everything will spontaneously combust into being being okay. We all do this...to some extent...hoping that by waiting things out problems in our life will just somehow get better. This rarely happens though.

You can 'keep trying' in the way you have been for another month, year or lifetime. But the fact is BOTH of you are going to have to be active participants in fixing your marriage and making it better for any real change to happen. And I do hope that everything works out the way you want it to.

14. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Zen, your not happy, why is the relationship worth saving? How do you think it can be saved so that the future of the relationship is happy for everyone? Think about this and plan a critical path.

15. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Zen fix,

I'm sorry that her actions are making you frustrated and lonely this week, getting to you and turning you into a complainer. Most of us have been there, stuck and complaining, but eventually we were able to have that "aha" moment :bulb: and see things from a different perspective that began meaningful forward progress. I'm a lot less lonely today than I was while married and trying to preserve a way of life that did not fulfill me. Your frustration and loneliness are signals that you are stuck and need to find a better way.

I get the sense that you just want a sympathetic ear to tell you everything is going to be OK. I could tell you that, but I would be lying. If you want things to be OK, then you are going to approach this thing differently. It might not be what you want to hear, but it's what you need to hear.

If you choose to separate or divorce, you will not lose your family. You will restructure the family such that you and your wife are no longer romantic partners. Sure this involves change and may even make things better if there's conflict or tension between you and your wife. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the kids don't pickup on this.

Ultimately it's your life and whether or not to use the suggestions provided here. It's up to you if you want to be a complainer or man of action.

#15 SiennaFire, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  16. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe a lifelong relationship is worth enduring some unhappiness. The question I ask myself more often now is how much of this is normal "getting through a rough patch" unhappiness. I'm not sure how it can be saved. After coming out we did have some discussions and I had understood that we would recommit and work on some of our ongoing issues. So that's what I've focused on.
    I then tried to be forthcoming about my sexuality but did so poorly due to my own confusion and guilt. I was and still am reluctant to talk about my sexuality with her. Her initial overblown negative response didn't help. I think me clamming up scared her even more. Already feeling insecure she would interrogate rather than listen or try to understand. So now we just aren't talking about any of it.
    So I just try to do my half but hadn't received the message that that is not what she wants.

18. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think what you're going through would be considered a "normal" rough patch.

There are also some contradictions in what you describe happening, such as deciding to recommit to the marriage on the one hand, and then your being "forthcoming" about your sexuality to her on the other hand. Clearly she is very threatened by it (hence her interrogating you and) so your bringing it up undermines the marriage. I think you need to stop expecting her to be your resource for talking about your sexuality and that you should look elsewhere (therapists, trusted friends, support groups, etc.) to do that. I think you should respect her response to being told her husband is bi and not expect her to be your sounding board for that subject ... her response is probably pretty "normal." If she brings it up then talk about it; if not, talk about with your other resources.

I also think you should decide for yourself what your limits are in terms of staying or leaving, what recommitting means to you, and then act on your decisions. You cannot control her reactions or choices, only your own. As long as you're in it for the long haul then behave as a good husband would, which may (or may not) spark her to act toward you as a good wife would. Actions ... not words.

19. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't try to use her as a go-to for matters concerning my sexuality. She would, to her credit, try to ask questions. I would try to answer and often fail for various reasons. This freaked her out even more and eventually communication stopped.

20. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Zenfix

I came out to my wife about the same time as you did. My wife is very cool with my sexuality. But, I sometimes feel like I can only talk to her so much before I feel I am rubbing her face in it. So, I hold it inside too. This causes me to be upset some at her even though it isn't her deal at all. It is good to have a trusted friend or a therapist.

I sought out a couple of gay guys to become confidants. I needed to have my gay side out a bit or it just felt like I was living alone with something. Being bisexual is difficult. Both parts of our sexuality need nourishment or there is, to me, almost a sense of loss.

I think I was making a mistake thinking the gay side of my sexuality was optional and could just be there and not addressed. It wasn't for me. I was so mad at my wife that she was keeping me from being gay...it was not reasonable. I encourage you to find a way to express yourself completely.

#20 Nickw, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017